Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Keyspan USB 4-Port Serial Adapter (Model USA-49WLC) Help

Reviews Summary for Keyspan USB 4-Port Serial Adapter (Model USA-49WLC)
Keyspan USB 4-Port Serial Adapter (Model USA-49WLC) Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $149
Description: The Keyspan USB 4-Port Serial Adapter allows 4 serial devices to be connected to a single USB port. It provides a simple way to add serial ports to a PC without the hassle of installing a serial card, turning off the PC, or configuring IRQs.

The adapter is ideal for amateur radio, industrial and enterprise markets where there is a need to connect serial devices to a PC for RIG CAT Control, Rotator Control, Memory Programming, Process Control, or Data Collection applications.

The Keyspan USB 4-Port Serial Adapter supports Windows 98 or later, is Microsoft WHQL certified, and can also be used on Mac OS 8.6 or greater, Mac OS X v10.1.3 or greater, and Linux.

The adapter draws its power from the USB port so no power adapter is required. It provides four male DB9 ports for connecting to RS-232 serial devices. Supports data rates up to 230Kbps - even when all ports are in use! Plug and Play installation and backed by a Five Year Warranty!
More info: http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/USA49w/

You can write your own review of the Keyspan USB 4-Port Serial Adapter (Model USA-49WLC).

K6OI Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2010 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Works with Windows 7  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just purchased an ACER Netbook with Windows 7 and without serial ports of course. Wanting to run HRD with my Yaesu FT-817, I dug out my old Keyspan USB Serial port adapter and proceeded to look for the drivers. Tripplite which now owns Keyspan no longer provides drivers for this product so it was off to Google. Every site that listed the driver referenced www.keyspan.com which no longer exists. After hours of searching I finally found it here: http://marc.oya.free.fr/fichiers/KeyspanUSA49wWinV31c.exe
It doesn't mention Windows 7 but it works fine.

N3ZH Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2009 05:54 Send this review to a friend
You can depend on it to work right  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Keyspan gives you 4 RS232 9-pin ports, and plugs into the USB port on your laptop/computer.

I connect it to a low cost powered hub (Azio brand) so that all 4 of my USB ham radio devices go into the hub and use only one USB port on my laptop.
1. Rig Blaster Plug & Play
2. Behringer external USB sound card
3. Radio Shack USB CIV converter
4. Keyspan 4 com port USB adapter - LDG AT200PC tuner, Palstar AT-AUTO tuner, Radio Shack RS232 CIV converter, and clone cable for ICOM VHF/UHF radios.

By using the hub I can switch all my radio control connections between my Vista laptop and my wife's XP Professional desktop by just moving one usb cable.

The Keyspan works flawlessly. I use it to computer control my two antenna tuners, a radio shack RS232 to CIV converter, and cable to clone or edit memories in ICOM VHF/UHF radios.

Keyspan has free software you download from their website for configuring and testing the Keyspan. It also gives you the option to always use the same COM port numbers regardless of which laptop USB port you plug it into.

Keyspan claims to work with everything - Mac and PC. Keyspan is not the cheapest, but you won't be hunting to find the right driver - just go to Keyspan's web site.

If you only need 1 or 2 RS232 com-ports, then the cost of this Keyspan model is pricy for your needs. But, if you need 3 or 4 com-ports, then the price is acceptable, and you won't be playing with 4 single line USB converters.

Search the internet for a good price.
www.mwave.com sells it for $128.

HB9DHG Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2006 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Very stable ...NO PROBLEM AT ALL  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the Keyspan USB 4-Port since more than 1 year. I've encoutered no problem at all. Where other products failed, the Keyspan don't! I worked more than 20 Years with Computer-Radio interfaces, and this one is the most powerful and affordable product I ever seen. What you like for a USB to COM converter? My question was to have stability with high traffic. As I remember I had no problem with running 4 coms at the same time 24/7. I just trows in the trash my old $300 PCI card, and I now enjoy my Keyspan.

Vy 73 de HB9DHG

K6RSG Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2006 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Flawless!!  Time owned: more than 12 months

Over the past year, I've run Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) software, operating a Kenwood TS-480 (at 115,200 bps) and Yaesu G-800DXA Rotator (w/ Idiom Press PC serial board interface). The Keyspan's other two ports are used to update the code plugs of my three Kenwood TH-F6a HTs (using Kenwood's MCP software), my Motorola HT, and to interface various other serial devices as needed.

As the gear operates on a nearly continuous daily basis (all controlled by a high speed Dual Core Pentium PC w/ UPS power) and Ham Radio Deluxe pounds the COM ports quite heavily, I'm delighted to report the Keyspan unit has never skipped a beat!!

Although Kenwood's ARCP-480 software is used on ocassion, with the TS-480, and other software is used with various serial devices, the Keyspan remains rock steady.

This has proven to be one of the most stable computer peripherials I've used in over 25 years!

Very 73,

Rob - AA6A
(Prev AK9G)
(Prev K6RSG)

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2005 18:43 Send this review to a friend
It "Just Works"!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I needed a USB-to-Serial adapter, as like many others, my new laptop didn't have any serial ports. I already had a single-port "dongle" version from Keyspan that worked flawlessly, but needed two ports to control my radio and sat rotors for Field Day. Rather than buy another "dongle", I ordered one of these to keep the clutter to a managable level. It works as well as the single-port units, with both Windows and Linux, and keeps the operating table cleaner.
If you need a USB-to-Serial adapter, BUY ONE! These things "Just Work"!

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2005 11:13 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Plug and Play  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Keyspan is the "class act" of serial/USB converter technology. I own several of their single converters and they work flawlessly. When I purchased a new computer without any serial ports and many USB ports I needed a multi serial/USB converter for all of my legacy devices. Purchased the 49WLC 4 port serial/USB converter and all is 100%. Install the software driver and plug in the device and 4 com ports are instantly available. No problems what-so-ever with any of my aging serial devices. Highly recommended!

K6RSG Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2005 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most personal computers no longer come with serial ports. Their current interface is via USB.

To control your rig via PC CAT software you'll need a serial port. For a second rig you'll probably want to use another serial port. To control your rotator with your PC you'll need another serial port. And, to program just about any of the late model HTs or mobile rigs via your PC a serial port is required. And on, and on, and on....

Countless headaches depicted by frustrated Hams, and others, using various USB serial adapters that don't reliably do the job abound. Keyspan's USB to 4 port serial adapter is THE answer. It has proven itself over the past several years in the commercial and industrial markets. It is perfect for any HAM needing several high speed RS-232 ports in an attractive and compact housing.

Install the software, plug it in, and it works. No headaches!!!

This thing is well made and works like a charm.

If you don't need a 4 port version, they also have a high speed USB to single serial port version. Check out the Keyspan website.

Very 73,