Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Tokyo Hy-Power HA Series antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Tokyo Hy-Power HA Series antennas
Tokyo Hy-Power HA Series antennas Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Description: Monoband loading coils which use a common telescopic whip. BNC connector, for use with the Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750 HF/6m handhelds and other portable HF/6m QRP rigs including the Yaesu FT-817 and the Mizuho Pico handheld transceivers.
More info: http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo/thp/ht750.html

You can write your own review of the Tokyo Hy-Power HA Series antennas.

K7VO Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2005 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Best built monoband portable whip system  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Tokyo Hy-Power's loading coils and antennas for about seven years now. This antenna system was sold as an accessory to the famous HT-750 6/15/40m SSB/CW handheld but it works equally well with any QRP rig. I've used these with Mizuho HTs and with the FT-817. It's a pity that they were only available on three bands: 6, 15, and 40m. This system was discontinued in 2002 or 2003 in favor of a larger, center-loaded antenna offered for the last production runs of the HT-750. While the newer antennas were excellent this system broke down into smaller pieces and was much easier to take along on a hike. You can still find these pretty easily on the used market, either together with an HT-750 (brilliant little rig!) or sometimes just by themselves.

Yes there are other options out there. The Maldol AH series is really a copy of this antenna design and is quite good but quite expensive. The Mizuho and MFJ antennas aren't made nearly as well and get wobbly with time. Most multiband solutions I found either worked poorly, were significantly bigger, or required tuning.

I still think these are the nicest walkabout antennas I have. I've had one of my sets since 1998 and it's every bit as nice now as it was then despite years of regular use. Durability is key for all things portable and the coils THP made are just that. With 2-3W output from the HT-750 the 6m and 15m configurations work pretty well. If I clip a tuned counterpoise to the BNC connector I definitely get out, even on 40m when conditions are right. I have worked DX, both SSB and CW. OK, I probably look strange walking, talking on an HT, and dragging a counterpoise wire behind me, but it works!

I do recommend these for someone who wants truly portable HF for the bands available. If you don't have an HT-750 already then try to find the radio as well. You certainly won't regret it.