Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Trimble Crosscheck XR Help

Reviews Summary for Trimble Crosscheck XR
Trimble Crosscheck XR Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1,300
Description: Unit provides vehicle location and status reports using state-of-the-art, 8-channel, GPS receiver technology. The receiver supports standard positioning data formats and multiple I/O ports to optimize vehicle to office communications.
More info: http://www.trimble.com

You can write your own review of the Trimble Crosscheck XR.

NS5U Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2008 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid industrial  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my Trimble Crosscheck XR from Chris Verbil N5CV today. Bought it on Ebay and it was shipped quickly and works as advertised out of the box.

Chris is right there to hold my hand.

Very nice unit designed to be mounted in vehicle and used. This is a device of commercial/industrial quality and should last as long as the technology.

KE5QJY Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2008 23:19 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a unit from Chris Verbil N5CV on eBay and could not be happier. This unit is awesome, worked right out of the box, pre-configured and everything. If your in the market I highly recommend checking out what Chris has, I hope to make another purchase in the near future!

VE3HWN Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2006 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Placer 450 gps  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Placer GPS 450 is remarkably priced and much to offer. Chris Verbil helped me out over the phone and also provided GSP diagnostic software. It was simple in the end to get it running. IF the unit was defective he was ready to ship another. In Chris’s own words, “I won’t leave you hanging!” Super service!! It comes with all the appropriate cables and the antenna. I connected the Placer 450 to my Kenwood D700 and it worked instantly. With the “dual O/P I will use my laptop for City driving as it will serve as a full blown in- car GPS while using ARPS at the same time. It also has Digital I/O so you can theoretically unlock your car via satellite if you lock your keys inside. Can’t wait to check that out!

73, Tom

KD4GIE Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2006 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Great unit for APRS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Picked up this unit last year from Chris Verbil, N5CV, on ebay. When the unit arrived, I left it in the box, on a shelf for 8-9 months waiting for the right time to purchase a new mobile rig to put with it. I recently installed the unit, had a few interface problems...lack of knowledge with unit on my part. Contacted Chris by e-mail and phone. Chris was very professional and exceptionally helpful in providing guidance and support for the unit. The Trimble Crosscheck XR does everything as specified by Mr. Verbil. This unit is well worth the money spent on it. If you purchase a unit from Mr. Verbil, rest assured, you will also get prompt, professional, and courteous support with the product.

KG6LSB Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2006 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Plug and play unit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a simple to use plug and play unit. You just connect it to a power source, plug it into your TinyTrak or whatever tracker, connect that to a radio with 144.390 and you're in business.

K5BXV Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2005 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit, works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a Trimble Placer 455 from Chris Verbil, N5CV on eBay. It is very similar to the Crosscheck XR unit. Prompt shipping and good communication. Unit is just as he describes. Provides everything you need to get started, even GPS antenna. Quality unit with GPS output on 2 ports, ideal for APRS tracker & mapping program. I am happy with the unit.

Larry - K5BXV

AA6RR Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2005 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Quality Built, No Plastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also purchased the Trimble Crosscheck XR on Ebay.The seller is very knowledgeable on the units, as he worked for Trimble for 7 years. He states that the Crosscheck XR is basically the same as a Trimble Placer 450. He provided
a software program named "GPSSK" that can be used to program the units, although he has already set them up to be plug n' play for APRS, outputting the NMEA protocol.I already had the Deluo GPS Lite receiver and I had thought about purchasing another Deluo, but I wanted a GPS receiver that didn't have the erroneous "Altitude" readings
(the Deluo reads about 10% low--my 2033' elevation in Spokane Valley is off by 200'). I
mounted the Trimble unit under my front passenger seat and ran the antenna cable, serial cable and the 12v power cable under the floor mat and then had all of the necessary cables appearing at the back of the TinyTrak3/IC-2100H in the console. I use the 12v "accessory" outlet in the car's center console to power the Trimble, TT3 and IC-2100H. I connected the "red & white" wires from the Trimble's Power cable to the 12v and ofcourse the black wire to ground (or negative side of the "accessory"
outlet). All 3 items only see power when the ignition is "on". I have a "lock" indication from the Trimble to the TinyTrak3 in about 10 seconds once power is applied(I believe that the Trimble has remembered my last coordinates before powering down). I have a second db9 port on the Trimble to connect a Laptop PC up to, to utilize a mapping program. I got a real quality product with some unexpected first class tech support !!

KE7BSK Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 2005 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Best APRS bargin I have found.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Trimble Crosscheck GPS unit on E-bay, not really knowing exactly what it was, or if it would work with my new Kenwood TM-D700A. After receiving it, and finding a gender changer and a mini DB9 connector to attach the unit to my radio, I plugged the unit into my battery connection. A minute later, the GPS icon on my radio started flashing, indicating that the unit was working.
I am new to ham radio, and even newer to APRS. I believe I found one of the best bargins on a GPS unit that can be permanently mounted in a vehicle for full time APRS coverage.
And the best thing is, I only paid $136,(after shipping costs), and have since bought two more units for $110 each,(after shipping costs). Look this up on E-bay and see all the features!!