Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | West Mountain Radio PWRGate Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio PWRGate
West Mountain Radio PWRGate Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $120
Description: A Super PWRgate is a 12 volt backup power system that can supply up to 40 amperes continuously from either a Power Supply or a Battery, and can also charge the battery with its high performance charger.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/SuperPWRgate.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio PWRGate.

N4SRQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2012 09:24 Send this review to a friend
Great piece to have in the shack.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does exactly what it says it will do. I jumper to a rigrunner and all my gear stays up and running with or without AC mains. The switching is rapid and transparent on loss of AC, the battery always charged, the equipment keeps humming. No complaints whatsoever.

KR4JA Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2005 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Super charging/power backup system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the PWRGate PG40S for about 1 month and it works great. I have it set for 10amps (and can be set at 1, 4, or 7amps too) to charge my AGM batteries (2 x 100Ah) using an Astron VS35M set at 14.6V (for charging AGM batteries). The only thing I had to due with the PWRGate was to set the internal jumper pin to charge the AGM batteries (14.6V). The batteries power my Hercules II amp and will provide a lot of back up power for running the radio, if/when the power goes out. I tried charging the batteries with a Battery Tender Plus, which worked great, but caused RF hash every 100kHz on my Icom Pro II when it was charging. The combination of a PWRGate PG40S and the Astron supply results in a no RF hash charging/power backup system.

NS1Z Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2005 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Reasonable price, super performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After moving to Florida and realizing how fragile the infrastructure was to the weather, I searched for a means to "keep on the air" with my shack. Finally came onto an ad on eHam about this unit and called the boys in Norwalk up. After a brief discussion I decided to go with the Super Power Gate because of its higher charging capabilities. No regrets. I use a deep cycle battery that previously saw military service (but any deep cycle will work) and has the current capability I wanted to run everything: TS2K, BC780, BC350 and DEMI/Mirage 220 equipment. On one input side of this gate I use the deep cycle and on the other input side I use an Astron RS-35A . Lights indicate the current(!) status: high charge, float or no input. Have had it for about 6 months and never a glitch from this unit. Switching is transparent when it happens. So far, the longest time on battery has been 3 hours (drunk driver vs. utility pole) and the equipment never saw a blip! Highly recommend. If you are looking to be prepared, this item has a place in your shack.