Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | HARRIS 590 Help

Reviews Summary for HARRIS 590
HARRIS 590 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Commercial/Military solid-state HF receiver, typically rack-mounted

You can write your own review of the HARRIS 590.

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2005 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Very, very nice  Time owned: months
First of all, a "thanx and a hat tip" to my friend, Ed, NI6S, that told me about the party selling this rig; Any buyer's remorse soon vanished as I installed this "square box" (the rcvr is almost as deep as it is wide)in one of my main equipt. racks. Osterman says this receiver replaced many 51S1s in embassy and consulate radio rooms and now I know the reason (51S1 is a fine receiver in its own right but I thought it always lacked a little sensitivity). I remember seeing ads for Toronto Surplus sales for this receiver for about $2200 to $2700. This is a serious radio. There are little bells and whistles (no dsp and cannot switch between filters in a particular mode)as this receiver does remind me of my Icom R9000 as it seems just "to get out of the way" of the signal; very nice to use; the little front firing speaker sounds amazingly good, but would like to know if the terminal strip in the back provides any audio out. If you are collecting, there should be strong consideration to adding this machine. This has the advantage of having self-diagnostics, so make sure you check this before purchasing. I will be providing a "qualitative" comparison between the 590 & R9000 and the receiver in the new 7800; I will post this under my 7800 review in a few weeks. Thank you for reading. Phillip W. Harris, PhD.J.D.P.C.