Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Hy Gain VB 25 FM Help

Reviews Summary for Hy Gain VB 25 FM
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$59.95
Description: 5 element verticle/horizontal beam
More info: http://www.hygain.com

You can write your own review of the Hy Gain VB 25 FM.

K9RE Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2017 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this to boost my signal into town from my cottage at the lake. Mine is fixed pointed and mounted on a 20' TV mast. It made a major improvement.

This antenna is end mounted. Although it is light, this will bend a weak mast, so use a sturdy one. The mast is behind the antenna so it will not interfere with operation even when the antenna is vertically polarized. The unit I received can be mounted for vertical or horizontal polarization.

The elements pass through the boom with this antenna. I am a little concerned that eventually they might loosen and fall out, so use care if you plan to install this on a high tower or other place where it would be hard to work on or repair.

I would recommend replacing the balun if you plan to operate with more than 100 W. Also be sure to weatherproof the connections.

The antenna performs well and is a good value for the price.

VE3PMV Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2016 13:51 Send this review to a friend
horz vert kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
just got the horz=vert kit yesterday,, can now turn the antenna from hort to vert why buy 2 antennas when u can do it with one ham@ve3pmv.com

VE3PMV Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2015 20:20 Send this review to a friend
got it to work with 1200w  Time owned: more than 12 months
got it to work with 1200 watts with another balun,, the guy charged me 30 bucks to make one up after i melted the original one,, if u want to do the same give me a email a ill give u his address

W5LMM Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2013 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna used at a Hamfest for $20. Had no idea who the manufacturer was, and it tested out, used it for a couple years, had a sporadic e contact 1200 miles away into canada with 10 watts last year.

Took it down yesterday, and am redoing stuff, did some research and found out that it was the HyGain VB-28FM. Discovered that the Factory Balun was MISSING! Ordered one for $6. Didn't seem to matter, SWR's were good and performance as well. Now it will be even better!

KC5UJH Rating: 2/5 Jul 16, 2010 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna from a national ham radio store and when I received it and began to put it together I noticed that there was not a terminal end (pig tail) for a 239 connector. I spike with Hy-gain about this and their only comment was that this is an older model and that they never updated it even after getting several complaints about this issue. They do however have a terminal pigtail that you can purchase for an additional $12.95, but it is not explained in the installation instructions. I guess my gripe is that if you are selling an antenna, make sure it comes with everything you need to use it. Their customer service seems to not care about complaints, but I will never buy another hy-gain antenna again. Atleast I know that the previous antennas from their competitors have always come with everything for installation and use.

N9IXX Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2005 06:28 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for  Time owned: more than 12 months
As stated earlier the elements require some bending to line them up because of the holes not properly drilled in line. Easy assembly of this antenna for the beginner until it comes to the feed point (this is the antennas down fall) WHAT A PAIN! No SO239 here baby get out those lugs and solder! Also remember to coat the feed point with something (liguid tape or krylon spray) Overall SWR was pretty good and performence was good. Not sure if this one is for the beginner or not except for the price because you do need some soldering experience. Had it for 14 months now should last for 10 or more years based on how well you do the feed point. Decent antenna for the price beats trying to build your own cause I don't think you would save much or any money.

KC9GUZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 10, 2005 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Good beam for the $$  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got this beam as my very first 2 meter FM beam, and so far its working like a champ!
The overall construction is pretty decent, but I found that the mounting holes for the elements were not plumb. I remedied this when I installed the elements I just compensated by bending the elements until they were at a 90 degree angle to the boom. The whole antenna went together in an hour. The instruction are very simple and straightforward. When I installed the antenna on my 40' push up mast all was well. The match never once went over a 2=1 all the way across the entire 2 meter band. I do like this antenna however, in the future i do plan on installing a bigger beam due in part that i'm getting into distant DX hitting repeaters and doing DXing on simplex and I can use just a little more gain.
But overall, the beam is a bargain for the $$$ and for the ease of installation and construction. If you want a good starter beam for a beginner ham go for this dandy of a beam you cant go wrong!!