Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 9500 Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha 9500
Alpha 9500 Reviews: 110 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $7950. USD
Description: Fully-automatic 160-10M amplifier, successor to the 87A. Uses a single 8877 tube in grounded-grid configuration. Integrated antenna switching, full QSK with vacuum relay.
More info: http://www.rfconcepts.com

You can write your own review of the Alpha 9500.

K0BAJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2015 15:32 Send this review to a friend
I have owned my Alpha 9500 for several months, it seemed to hav  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my Alpha 9500 for several months, it seemed to have much higher fan noise than my 1991 87A. Called Brad at Alpha and I can't give any greater compliments to him. He took care of the fan noise and now I think it is quieter than my old 87A. Many thanks to Brad and Alpha. Once you own an ALPHA you will never desire any other.

Gary Drussel K0BAJ

W8JN Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2015 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 3 9500s.Sold my first two due to lack of use. Got a spectacular deal on a used 9500.I had the previous owner ship it back to Brad for updates. It currently runs like a Swiss time piece. Thanks Brad for an outstanding job. 2500 watts pep into an Alpha 2100 dummy load.

N5CMD Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2015 14:15 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got increasingly frustrated in DX pileups as I would call and call and, only after extreme patience, would I get through. So I decided to buy an amp. I had my eye on the Alpha 9500 for years. I researched everything commercially available but everything kept pointing me back to this amp, so I bought it!

Now I am regularly one of the first people that a DX station will hear vs. being one of the last. It's effortless to operate and I'm a huge fan! Nice job RF Concepts/Ten-Tec!

AE4X Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2015 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic implementation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a chance recently to use one of these amplifiers. Seemless operation, quiet and loafs along at full power. Cannot wait to actually purchase one of these very soon. Instant band switching, too... Wonderful pairing between trasceiver and amplifer.

9Y4W Rating: 2/5 Dec 18, 2014 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Major problems in year 3  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the unit in January 2012 and had good results first, See my earlier review.
Unfortunately, in 2013 i lost the transformer, just out of the blue and with the unit sitting idle on standby. RF Concepts replaced the transformer under warranty.
Now yesterday, about 90 seconds into the 3-Minutes-warm-up, crackling, bang, smoke, darkness.
First visual inspection showed 3 high-v caps in the plate supply fired through as well as a 25 Ohms / 25 W resistor on the mains board, and the 2 A fuse in the back.
Waiting on word from RF Concenpts. It appears, some components can't take the tropical environment. I hope RF Concepts will come up with a customer friendly solution.
I think i need a backup amp to this one here :-(

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2014 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Best Amp I've Ever Owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this amp about two years and it has worked flawlessly! It is a pleasure to use and loafs along at full power. Tolerates a relatively high swr on the band edges (to about 2.8/1) on 160 meters with no problems. This amp is everything I expected from a high end piece of equipment and more. I am extremely pleased.

Bob/AA6VB

K4VUD Rating: 0/5 Dec 2, 2014 02:05 Send this review to a friend
I gave up on it  Time owned: more than 12 months
After struggling with my new 9500, I had to take the bath and sell it. Operated in Asian nation two yrs.
Problem 1...Blower squirrel cage hit its housing due to vibration pad deforming. Fix, Alpha sent me a new blower assembly and in couple mo. that also deformed and required RTV attempted fix.
Problem 2... tuning to part of band not segment programmed (manual does not explain doing this is mandatory) and xmitting burned out the SMD resistor that Alpha calls a fuse and other components on the controller board. Fix, Alpha sent free parts to replace by local expert.
Problem 3... Normal correct tuning and operation, a couple of the disk caps off the output of the tube burned up and arc to cabinet, more parts on controller board burned too. Alpha sent free parts to replace by local expert. Up graded caps now offered on Alpha parts list.
Problem 4... Normal correct tuning and operation, amp suddenly went to full plate current and half plate voltage. Condx existed then when turned full on, no drive, no PTT. Sent to factory and sold thereafter.

Overall... auto selection of antenna socket has mind of its own, band segment programming flaky, and will not tolerate much line voltage fluctuation and auto search keeps searching; lock up at 220 not solution either.

Sum... this is a hot house plant meaning it needs very careful programming and very steady line voltage and watching for random socket selection on its own. Not suitable outside a very well controlled shack temp, humidity, and line voltage.

W2PP Rating: 1/5 Nov 25, 2014 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Bad investment   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine self destructed just sitting on the table, Nope no RF applied. Sent it back and got it returned in working order. Then they upgraded the firmware and it was in operable. They took it back, I got it back in working order, well sorta, it was slow to tune, never did get it just right. Then it magically started changing antennas without any input from me. Nice of course it tripped off. I dumped it. That was enough. Got an ACOM 2000a and two years later REALLY love my ACOM

KB8ZGL Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
My first amp, amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It took a rewire of my entire house to hook up the proper electrical for this AMP, but it was worth every hour to do it right!

The amp is really something special on 220V. I loved working pileups on 100W, but not it is even more fun with 1.5KW!

I wouldn't go any other way if I had to chose again. Just finished a 2 hour stint on W1AW/8 with this amp and it just purred along!

WB0O Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2014 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Happy Customer. No Tune and Easy Remote Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 9500 for about a year now, and have been very pleased. It is fun and easy to bust the DX pile-ups with this amp. Easy to operate, I don't think I have yet read every page in the manual. The relays and the fan can sometimes get a bit loud, but never have interfered with my operating. The free remote software works flawlessly on my pc, so if I wanted I could put this amp farther from my operating position. I echo the other comments about the antenna selection switch sometime surprising me, but that is about the only issue I have experienced. Love this amp, and patiently waiting for their new tuner to be released.