Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ 249B Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 249B
MFJ 249B Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $239.95
Description: Antenna Analyzer/Frequency Counter
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-249B

You can write your own review of the MFJ 249B.

K5TTE Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2012 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
This tool has never failed me in the 7 years I've had it.
Dipoles, verticals, balcony antennas, random wires, mobile whips, portable wire "quickies" : all easily evaluated quickly for SWR .
It's only problem is a hungry little gremlin inside that eats
AA batts for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and evening snack.

It's a problem for me, but a delight for Costco: they lie in wait for me to walk in for battery buys.
The future of antenna analyzers seems to belong to the
YouKits device for now.
But my old MFJ box still does just fine

K3GC Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2011 18:45 Send this review to a friend
A must have in the shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does exactly what it is supposed to do and does it well. Mine basically died after about 6 months. I returned it to MFJ and it was back in a week and a half.
Things break - it is the service that counts and MFJ gets high marks.
I could not be without it.

VA3HRY Rating: 2/5 Jan 22, 2011 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Good results on 10,6,and 2 meters,but not even close below 10.I comprared readings with another unit and surprise go 2 different values.I traded it in and paid more for a Kuranishi BR 210.

W8EDS Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2007 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Good Results  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm not sure what the first review was about, didn't really understand it. But what I do understand the analyzer will show you 50 ohms in the form of an SWR measurement on the meter. I've used it to tune mobile antennas and to check SWR and resonance of my HF antennas, the analyzer works as it should. I'm glad I bought it, works great for me.

OE1MIS Rating: 1/5 Jun 19, 2006 00:01 Send this review to a friend
Rather poor device  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this unit before I built an antenna
analyzer based on the design of IW3HEV.
Since then this unit is collecting dust.

It simply is not accurate enough.
I also prefer to get a visual reading
to see the shape of the dut over a frequency
range. I miss the oportunity to save the collected
data to a file,...

The list of missing features will soon get endless, so I stop here.

Michael OE1MIS

N5EAT Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2005 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Really nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only used the SWR measuring device and frequency counter functions of this instrument. However, this is a wonderful and useful piece of gear. I replaced an Autek unit which simply stopped working shortly after I changed the battery for the first time.

SWR measurement could not be easier, and the LDC readout is clear and unambiguous. There is an input for 12 volt DC on top of the unit if you wish not to purchase or charge 10 AA batteries. You have to remove 8 screws to get the back of the unit off to change batteries. Inside you'll find the battery compartment, and a jumper for telling the unit whether you've got alkalines or
nicads. Apparently you can charge batteries in the unit if you use the proper type.

The build quality of the unit seems ok. You can see much of the circuit board when you change batteries, and everything seems to be "tied down" fairly well.

I have a collection of small, inadequate antennas for my HF and VHF work, and tuning them with the 249B is so easy. I've got a Buddipole, an MFJ window antenna, an Radio Shack Discone, a couple Ham-Stick dipoles, and a Tarheel screwdriver. The great thing about the unit is getting the <3.0 swr bandwidth in the right spot for each band i'm tuning. Great as my Kenwood TS-2000 is, it won't tune anything with SWR > 3.0 (I love the Kenwood, but that is a nearly useless tuning range for an auto tuner). So getting my SWR passband is very important.

I'm sure that I'll continue to enjoy this unit if it doesn't break as soon as I turn my head. I know there are rocket scientists out there who may need a more expensive unit, but if you just need to trim/adjust antennas, check impedances, and/or frequencies - this unit is quite good. It will do more complicated measurements, but i'll probably not need the service.