Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Cushcraft X-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft X-7
Cushcraft X-7 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $675.
Description: http://www.cushcraft.com/amateur/x9.htm
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft X-7.

PY1BR Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2009 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 9 years I moved to a new QTH where the X7 is already installed and working as before, excellent performance. Although the previous QTH was close to the sea its mechanical parts are in excellent conditions. I still live in a big city so this antenna is the best we can have installed in a top of a building. Iím very happy with XM240 and X7 in the same tower.

W2MV Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2009 06:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent So Far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had my new X7 up for six days, but I notice a world of difference between it and my old Cushcraft A3S. I can work anything that I can hear, and calling CQ a few times created a pileup! That would not happen with the A3, which was a nice antenna, but the X7 is definitely a level above. Too bad 15 and 10 have been dead so I can't really say anything about performance on those bands...yet.
It would have probably taken me 2 days to put the thing together and double-check everything, so I had
Hudson Valley Towers do the work. With 2 guys and a helper, they took about half a day to assemble it.
It's a big antenna and not easy to maneuver compared to other antennas, but it was worth it for me.
Thw SWR is <2:1 at band edges on 20M, and <1.5:1 in the center. On 15 and 10 the SWR is even lower.
All 7 elements are pinned to the boom, unlike the A3, so they will stay level.
Stay tuned for further updates.
Alan, W2MV

VK2CA Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2009 05:47 Send this review to a friend
10 years and still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just thought that I should write something after having come up to 10 years with the X7. I thought when I spent a full day (two guys on it) putting the thing together that I never wanted to pull it apart. Glad to report that besides relocating QTH's where it was dismantled, but not completely, I have never had reason to pull this antenna down.
It has always performed flawlessly. It is excellent on 20/15 but really rocks on 10m. No problem with full power at anytime. This ia a big antenna and has some weight behind it but the perfomance is worth the effort of getting it in the air. I always thought JA's were everywhere with my old 3 element but not with the X7 - have to point at Japan now...hi. Excellent FB and very tight pattern.
Highly recommended as a beam to buy and keep.

Cheers....Allan VK2CA

VY0PW Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2008 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent choice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My X-7 replaced a 20 year old A-3S. It sits on top of a 56ft US tower. Turn it with a HAM IV. The X-7 is quite a bit bigger and heavier but boy what a difference in performance. Listening the X-7 is at least 2 S-units above the A-3S and transmit wise probably the same. The X-7 is very well build and fairly easy to put together.

When mine arrived there were two parts missing. Called John at Cushcraft he was very helpful and replaced it fairly quickly.

Only "problem" I have is cannot get the SWR below 1.4 in the phone portions of the bands. Otherwise very flat over the bands.

The X-7 works quite well on 17 and 12m where it acts as a dipole. Signals here are quite a bit better than on my R-5 vertical. The tuner in my ICOM rig has no problem matching it on the WARC bands.

Summary: Very well made, a real pile up cracker and stands well up to high winds. It delivers all what Cushcraft promises.

Very highly recommended.

KG5I Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2007 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Very nice antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been up on the tower about 2 years now. Yes it works great, but it was difficult to install. The weight factor plays in here. I also have the 40 meter add-on which adds to the weight. I was finally able to get it installed at the top of my 60 ft tower. I was alone at the top with my friend down below pulling on the gin pole rope. We did it, but it was not easy. There are nearly 100 pounds of aluminum up there, but even with the strong winds it stays put. The antenna works great and I must say I had great support from Cushcraft ordering spare parts. I bought this antenna from a previous owner and it needed some replacement hardware. As expected, a 7 element beam will work well and this one does. I'm not a contester, just a casual operator. My previous beam was a Cushcraft A4 which worked great too. I need to increase the element length on 40 mtrs, but I'm not taking this down until something breaks or falls off.

G4WBB Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2007 03:46 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for many years and normaly use it at 35ft, it has survived very strong winds with no problems. It took about 12hrs to build due to checking dimensions 2 to 3 times. The swr is no more than 1.6 to 1 on any band.

it performs very well and I have not had any problems or maintenance issues.

ON4CT Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2007 11:14 Send this review to a friend
quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mounted a 5 year old second hand X7 on my 24 m tower.
There was already some alu corrosion between the stainless parts and the alu parts, so cleaning was needed. Pay attention to the balun, some bad soldering is mentioned, but not in my case. There was a lot of white alu oxyde on the bolts of the balun.
Carefull checking, mounting and treating the elements and parts was time asking, but it's pays of.
As an engineer in mechanics I can tell you that this antenne is very well built.

The X7 replaced a 25 years old TH6DXX.

The antenne is not in balance when pulling it up.

The X7 is one year up and survided without any throuble a 130 km/h storm in jan. 2007.

The pattern is sharper than my TH6DXX, it works very well on 10 an 20m, moderate on 21 mc.

Some users mention it is also usuable on 24mc and 18mc, but there is a 3:1 swr on those bands.
I have a rotary dipole on WARC above the X7 and the dipoles beats the X7 hands down.

DIRK
ON4CT
ex on4adz

K0MD Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2006 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna, rugged performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the X-7 in October 1998 and have used it at two locations. It performs very well. I am amazed at its low SWR, its performance on the high bands and my ability to break pile ups with it. It is my third Yagi - I had a Wilson System 33 and a Mosley Yagi prior to the X-7.
It survives the winters of Minnesota without difficulty and I liked it so much I recommended it to a friend in town who now has one. I was concerned during the move in 2003 it would be damaged as I was not present for the move. I have not encountered any problems.

I regret not buying the X-9 as I am so impressed with the x-7.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2006 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Great value if you can over look the QC problems  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased an X-7 with the 40 meter kit back in 1998, I used the antenna for about a year, but a move to an HOA controlled development forced me to sell the antenna. Nevertheless, during that period of time, and once I fixed the balun, the antenna performed great with many DX Q's getting into my log, rejection was great. When I first assembled the antenna the SWR's were high on all bands, the culprit was traced to the balun, which upon inspection revealed that the ferrite core must had been shattered during shipping/handling. A call to Cushcraft's customer service brought a new balun to me within a few days. The mechnical construction is outstanding, during the 98-99 winter we had an ice storm which coated everything with 3/4 inch + layer of ice, but the antenna survived with no problems, and all the elements completely straightend out after the ice melted. On the air the antenna worked great with good rejection and gain. Even when running a 100 watts, and the X7 at only 45 feet, I noticed that it wasn't too hard to get though the pile ups and snag Q's from stations that were obviously running legal limit. I have moved again and can now put up a decent antenna system. Therefore, based on past experience, I will probably end up with another X7 or maybe a used X9.

Jim/AB4D

KC5R Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2006 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Better than it looks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought the antenna from R&L. I put it together in 2 days (1 day I put all of the elements/boom together, and the next I mounted the elements to the boom and hooked up the feed assembly). Bad news - yes, Cushcraft has still a few QC/ISO issues. First the specs are not clear on the gain (look at the 40 mtr add-on specs). Second, one of the fiberglass insulators was "undrilled" (I had to do it). Finally, the balun bracket was assembled backwards by Cushcraft which required me to open it up, de-solder a connector, reverse the mount, and re-solder/assemble.
However, here's why it gets a "5" - after all of that and putting it on the tower at 75', it kicks butt. Even with a tuner on 12/17m, it cuts the mustard. The SWR is great throughout 10,15,20. This is better than an A4 and for the size you cant beat it. Let's face it, the time spent drilling and a dab of solder is nothing compared to the time you'll save in the pile-up. Too bad they don't make an X9 anymore.
Last comment. Tape the trap plastic to keep them from cracking and re-tighten the elements and brackets after a few days to ensure a snug fit. both pieces of advise (which are from others) is a good deal.