Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | MFJ-1620T Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1620T
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $19,95
Description: HF mobile antenna for 20 m
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1620T

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1620T.

AC2JO Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2013 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Best with a tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to use on Field Day 2013 with my Yaesu FT-897D as I had scheduled a cross-country trip that weekend.

I followed the instructions for tuning it, but could not get the SWR to what seemed a reasonable level. Whether I simply was lacking the patience to spend the time to get it right, or it couldn't get any better- I don't know. In any case I finally added the bolt-on LDG 897 external tuner (which I fortunately already had) to the mix and it did the trick. Takes up a little more space in the car and was trying to avoid using it, but oh well.

At any rate, once that issue was solved the antenna did very well. Worked states as far away from the east coast as Arizona and South Dakota during Field Day (and got compliments on a "great signal" to boot) and later even hit DX from South America and Kuwait.

As a mobile antenna, I'm satisfied.

N4QCV Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 21:37 Send this review to a friend
HERES AN UPDATE ON MFJ 1617 17 METER ANTENNA   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
WELL AS YOU READ IN MY OTHER REVIEW THE MFJ FIBERGLASS ANTENNAS MAG MOUNTED ON MY JEEP ARE STILL WORKING WONDERFULLY.....IM RUNNING 100 WATTS FROM BASEMENT APT TO MFJ ON MY JEEP....TODAY ON 17 METERS I WORKED THE SOUTH OF FRANCE.....BELGIUM.....AND REPUBLIC OF LITHUANIA
ALL ON 100 WATTS!!!!!!! LIKE I SAID BEFORE THESE ANTENNAS WORK BETTER THEN I EVER EXPECTED!!!!!!!!!

DENNIS
N4QCV
ARRL VEC

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2011 15:48 Send this review to a friend
MFJ 20M HF Stick Ground Mounted Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MFJ 1620T is half the cost of the Lakeview "Hamstick"
Set up as ground mounted vertical with one 1/4 w counterpoise - 2 feet of the ground - of Arizona HOA - works very well. Many good reports stateside & DX.
The MFJ 1620T is a great value - have used as moble on truck - used 2 in dipole mount & now ground mounted - very happy with the results in all cases. 73 K1WJ

VE6OXR Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2009 16:24 Send this review to a friend
It Does Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well .. I have worked with this antenna on the roof of my car with a 3 magnet 3/8" mount. So far I have worked 2 hams in about 15 min of being on 20 meters. The first contact was in the Bay Area of San Jose California and the second contact was in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Like WOW .. it does work. I was running 100 watts on a Yaesu FT-450. This is from a mobile location in Western Canada. Does this antenna work .... yes it may not be the best antenna but it does get a signal out. What more can I ask for. Overall .. pleased with the performance.

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2009 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Works good  Time owned: more than 12 months

Made state side 20m contacts quickly upon install on my truck.

Quality of unit seems up to par with other "ham stick" type antennas.

So far so good, about 100-150khz band width.

Going to be using 2 of these for a 20m dipole soon.

73 K1WJ David

OE3HHB Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2005 13:59 Send this review to a friend
cheap and powerful - 60 DXCC's in 20 h operationtime  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own this antenna since the 2. Sep. 2005. Purchased it together with a MFJ-336T magnetic mount ("Goliath 3-magnetic-mount, 3 x 5 inch magnets, 3/8" connector for antenna). First try was in the night at the 2. Sep were I logged OD, PY, 7X, CN and HK for the first 5 QSO's !!! The next 20 hours (different locations but most of them in the open countryside near Vienna) of 20m operation brought 60 DXCC's in my logbook. A Kenwood TS570D with 100 W helped me to do the job. I'm very pleased with the fast setup-time for the whole equipment (~ 7 min. for antenna, power, TRX and notebook) and it's performance. Hope to reach DXCC-status within the next 3 weeks. This whip should handle 250 W pep according to the manual. I measured VSWR on the whole SSB band below 1,3. Total length is 2,4 m (8 ft). The antenna is mounted with its magnetic mount on a VW Golf vehicle, in the middle of the roof.

see you on the bands, 73 de Harald, OE3HHB (Vienna/Austria)