Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-707 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-707
Yaesu FT-707 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $GBP499
Description: One of the first compact multimode HF radios
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ft-707/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-707.

WP4OEK Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2013 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one from ebay with FP-707. Great audio !!

N3TU Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2013 14:38 Send this review to a friend
First Radio in 1992  Time owned: more than 12 months
That was my first radio back in 1992. Sold it around 1998 to upgrade my radios a few times. I miss that old radio and should have kept it. It was a great radio to learn the 20wpm cw requirement at the time.

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2013 09:50 Send this review to a friend
A cracking little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine off Ebay for little money. Came in fantastic condition for its age. A surprisingly very good receiver with excellent audio reports even with the standard mic. The VFO felt a bit notchy and ruff so a quick strip, clean and regrease sorted that, be careful when rebuilding the slowmotion drive as its a bit of a bugger!!
Great for some portable opps or even as a back up rig. Who really needs all the bells and whistles of the modern rigs when cheap and cheerful is all you really need..

SV9DRU Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 02:49 Send this review to a friend
Audio mod !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very good analog design with extremely clean TX/RX due to its lack of PLL sinthesizer. Every band coverage is derived from mixing the analog VFO signal with a crystal oscillator signal. You can't get much cleaner than that phase noise wise.
It is true that as any other more than 30year old radio, it will most probably require some TLC to bring it to its full potential, but that is part of the hobby isn't it ?
At any rate, after giving that TLC to mine, I was rewarded with a beautiful RX, but rather bassy audio response. The same is not the case with my FT-901 and 902 rigs which also have solid state AF stages.
The secret to bringing the FT-707 up to its big brother's potential is simply removing C66 from the AF board, a 0.1uF cap bypassing the audio signal to ground via a 1 Ohm resistor, just before reaching the speaker.

This 10min mod will make the signals sound much more natural in AF high frequency response, without increasing the hiss or making the rig any less "quiet".
By the way, the FT-707 is one of the rigs that when you remove the antenna while listening at a comfortable audio level, the RX goes almost completely dead !
It very much rivals my Drake TR4 despite it not having magic glowing bugs inside hi

73 to all,and keep those soldering irons hot !
Marinos

WE4VB Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 09:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent small rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned and used two of these great little rigs. Had one as my base unit and one for my mobile for over 8 years, for my 100 mile each way commute from WV to No. VA daily. Kept me awake in the early morning with the HHH net and Rotten Apples and again with the Rotten Apples in the evening on the way home. Rugged unit. No issues at all with either rig. If you can find one in good shape, highly recommend it!

KF5MDY Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2011 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Loving' mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine used to be my stepdad's who bought it new in 1980. After he passed, it's now my primary HF rig and I'm using it nightly for PSK. After 31 years, the only thing that's gone wrong was a broken wire on the band switch. Great rig.

NL7W Rating: 4/5 Aug 20, 2011 19:15 Send this review to a friend
The Old FT-707 -- Still a Winner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Finally, I got around to fixing my old FT-707 mobile... the original speaker blew. After sitting for 7 years in the closet, I must say that it's a pleasure to put it on the air again. The receiver is quiet and pulls in CW stations easily with the CW filter installed. There is IF filter blow-by, but other attributes make up for this issue. It's a smooth semi break-in operator; the CW waveform is near perfect.

SSB with the Heil mobile noise-canx hand mic from ten years ago is really good.

I had forgotten just how pleasant this rig is to operate. It maybe old these days, but if you find a good one, snatch it up. It's always been a great mobile. It'll be going into my truck soon.

73.

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 2/5 May 26, 2010 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Buyer beware  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An immensely satisfying radio when working the FT-707 have a definite experation date so I can only give it a 2 for worthiness to purchase here in 2010.

The Yahoo users group for this model which has probably been dormant for the past 10 years has come alive with posted problems - irreplaceable bandswithes, SWR protection circuits gone awry - you name it. My guess is this radio works so well there is little reason for anyone to sell it unless it has a hidden or expensive to fix problem.

So don't pay more than $150 for one otherwise you'll likely waste your money.

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2009 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off this rig has great audio but you need to keep the RF gain around 12 o'clock. It drifts some but not enough to mess up digital communications. I once went away a few days and it had drifted about 1500 hz. I really like the disco era LEDs that flash across the face while keying - reminds me of my younger days.

I've used it backwards to Sunday on QRP and it sounds just like a Ten Tec without QSK - I never need QSK anyway.

I couldn't be more pleased.

CT2FPE Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2008 15:52 Send this review to a friend
My 1st RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, this was my 1st RIG ! (1995)
A very nice 707, the tunner and the external vfo.
Issues bad:

- The lack of 160m
- No FM

Besides that it was a very good RIG to use.