Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Kenwood KES-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood KES-5
Kenwood KES-5 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $45.00
Description: Commercial grade External Speaker

You can write your own review of the Kenwood KES-5.

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2017 22:43 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have tried several speakers on several mobile radios, I have found that this one works great on Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu and as of this report it is on a Yaesu Ftm-3100r.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2016 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Second review and a "tip"  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was so impressed with this speaker, I purchased another one. The second one came from eBay, in like new condition for $20. This speaker is so much better than the $100 Icom SP-33, it's hard to describe.
Here's my "tip" for all us hams that are a wee bit 'thrifty'.....
Look for a Macom speaker that is identical to the Kenwood KES-5. They have the identical tag on the back, same rating, both made in Indonesia, 4 ohms, 40 watts. Just doesn't say Kwood on the rear tag or the front logo.
I just purchased one for $11. They all sound identical = fantastic.

Enjoy....

ron
N4UE

KK5JY Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2016 16:40 Send this review to a friend
The Best Available  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own several of these, and they are fantastic. The amount of audio you get out of them is incredible, even if the driving radio doesn't have much audio output power.

These work very well in a vehicle, even a noisy one. I can turn up the volume enough to overcome all the road noise, and the audio is still clear and undistorted.

This is a *real* speaker, not one of those cheap things most vendors sell. It reminds me of some of the best mobile speakers from decades ago, when a two-way radio occupied a third of the trunk of your car.

For the $45 I spent for each one of these devices, they are all well worth it.

W2GLD Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2016 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Audio Quality and Output Level without Distortion  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been purchasing these speakers since the early 2000's and they are simply the best sounding mobile communications speakers I have ever used. The pair in my truck are over 10 years old and have seen numerous radios from the Kenwood TM-D710A and TS-480SAT to the ICOM IC-2820H, ID-5100A, and IC-7100A mobiles; all with excellent results. It seems this question comes up allot about whether you can or can't use a 4-ohm speaker with a radio that requires an 8-ohm speaker connection and I'm not sure why. Fact is, if you looks closely at each radios information, you'll see that most radios support both 4-ohm or 8-ohm; in-fact, most manufactures even sell both as an option (i.e. ICOM usually does for sure with the ID-5100A and IC-7100A mobiles). One thing that is lacking in the documentation for these speakers is which wire is positive vs negative, so when wiring these speakers, be aware that the black/white wire is the positive and for ICOM radios goes to the tip and the all black wire goes to the ground. If you're looking for the loudest, cleaning sounding mobile speaker, you simply cannot beat the Kenwood KES-5 if you don't mind soldering a 1/8" plug onto a wire.

AD5HD Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2015 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Get one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rated to 40W audio, weighs a ton, not a hint of distortion at high levels, hard to imagine there's a better mobile speaker than this.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 01:44 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this thing....rugged, full of great sound. Your rig will sound great.

KC2OHP Rating: 4/5 Jun 4, 2013 19:12 Send this review to a friend
rugged and efficient   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the KES-5 after reading reviews and compairing it to its similiarly priced competitors, like the Yaesu MLS-100 and others. I decided to go with the Kenwood based on positive reviews found here, the shape, and the fact that it is said to handle 40 watts. Although, loudness isn't what I'm interested in; it's quality of sound reproduction. So, really, going with the KES-5 was a gamble, but one one I'm fairly happy I made. I found the quality of sound dependent upon the radio it was plugged into. For example, it sounds beautiful at any volume I would listen to it at on my Yaesu FT-2900R, while only retaining the same quality of sound at relatively low volume on my Kenwood TM-271. The internal, front-firing speaker in the TM-271 has better sound quality than the KES-5 when connected to it. Overall, it's obviously a quality speaker worth $50 that will last for as long as I do and I'd recommend it without hesitation for base or mobile application.

I really have the urge to buy the Yeasu MLS-100, Icom SP-35, and SP-5 in order to see which of the similiar, mobile speakers is the best. Apparently, no one has written any reviews here on the Icom SP-35 or SP-5 which suprises me; maybe I'll be the first!

KD4AT Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2011 06:48 Send this review to a friend
rock solid and LOUD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My dad and I installed one of these in his diesel pickup truck, where he has always had trouble hearing his mobile hf rig. The audio output was night and day to the speaker it replaced. The bracket to speaker connection is excellent. There is a pivot point as well as the screws to hold this speaker in place. If you need a high power speaker for a rugged installation, this is a very good bet.

KB0XR Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2008 03:48 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one and like it a lot.

I can't believe someone with an EXTRA call sign would ask a question about 4ohm vs 8ohm impedance match.

KX0O Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2008 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Impedance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Is there a problem that these speakers have have 4 ohm impedance and the rigs call for 8 ohm? I just got 2 and want to make sure I don't harm the audio out on my d710?