Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Zero-Five Antennas 40m verticals Help

Reviews Summary for Zero-Five Antennas 40m verticals
Zero-Five Antennas 40m verticals Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $299.00
Description: high quality aluminum verticals and replated hardware
More info: http://www.zerofive-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the Zero-Five Antennas 40m verticals.

W0RIC Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2008 07:56 Send this review to a friend
BEST FIELD DAY ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a second Zero-Five vertical for Field Day and portable use. This 33 foot 40 meter antenna ROCKS! We deployed this antenna in less then 30 minutes for field day. We made hundreds of contacts on 40 and got outstanding reports.

Everyone we worked was on the 1st call.

Working DX is FANTASTIC! The reports are 59 PLUS.

Anyone thinking of a vertical should consider the Zero-Five. My 43-foot Zero-Five has been up for over a year now and most of the DX is 1st call.

The support from Tom is 110%. Every question was personally answered. It's nice to find a company that answers their phone. NO VOICE MAIL just real people! WOW! Nice concept!

Rick
WØRIC

KA3DPW Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2007 10:26 Send this review to a friend
One Good Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months

My vertical is ground mounted.

I have mine hinge mounted using the super heavy duty mount listed on the website and it slides in and out by use of pipes, one being smaller than another and slides into the other. Thiss assembly is mounted into a concrete filled hole 4 feet deep. It with stands some very high winds here.

I have 60 quarter wave radials mounted to a radial plate and I use half inch hardline for a feed a total length of 115 feet. So have minimal loss in the system. Radials and transmission line are buried in the ground.

I also use it for 17 and 15 meters as a 5/8 wave with a tuner.

This arrangement is able to be taken down and used other locations and it gives some very good results. It also fits CC&R and because it's omly 33 feet tall total height it fits our township regulations fo 40 feet.

I primered and painted mine flat black. It become almost invisible against the trees in the background.

No interference to nieghbors and they don't hear it and they don't see it. They're impressed.

No problems at full legal limit either. I still use filters anyway.

I definitely recomend this antenna if you want a vertical that stands up to the weather well.

My foot print with radials in the yard is about 70 feet across.

More time and money than some other verticals other hams may have, but I went for investment in a good site. To me it was and still is well worth it.

The SWR for me at the station is 1.3 to 1 with out tuner all the way across the 40 meter band.

And Tom is a good man to deal with. Give him a call and talk to him. He's quite knowledgeable.

Highly recomended.

W5TWY Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2007 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Best Money I ever spent for 40 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The best antenna system I have ever installed. I want to thank Tom for manufacturing one of the best antennas I have used on 40 meters. Tom (N9ZV) built these antennas to last and the machine works is great. I talked with Tom on tha air and on the phone as he explained how to install and what frequency to tune each antenna to. After installing all the mounts I tuned to antenna to 7.050 and All I had to do was move the top piece of tubing 2 inches and there I was. I made all 4 antennas the same length and laid the rest of the ground radials as instructed. The antenna is very broad banded. 1.2 to 1 on 7.000 mhz and 1.25 to 1 on 7.300 mhz. At 7.150 the antennas are 1.0 to 1.. The forward gain against my full size rotatable dipole at 78 feet is 3db in favor of the 4 square. The front to back is at least 20 db. I would recommend this antenna or any other antenna that Tom makes. If you hear me on 40 meters give me a call and I will give you a demo of this system.. Thanks again Tom for this great system.

Terry (W5TWY)

N9PKI Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2006 16:49 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT 4 SQUARE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A while ago I bought a single vertical for Tom. After a month I needed a 4 square of these excellent verticals.A quick call to TOM and my order was placed,3 weeks later my verticals arrived.While I waited for the verticals I plowed in a massive amount of wire in my yard.Tom was very helpfull in the install.The array works as expected GREAT ,The directivity is excellent as is the gain.The array is strong and has been in 60 mph winds with no problems. Contacts are made on first call every time with 100 watts.
Thanks again for the great products.
JOHN
WK9Z

AM9MQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2006 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I met Tom (N9ZV), the owner of Zero-Five Antennas at ham fest this summer. I was very impressed by this 1/4 wave full size 40 meter vertical antenna. Commercial grade aluminum pipe, heavy duty base insulator, it is a nice looking antenna.

Shame on me not purchasing this wonderful antenna until now!! The very day I put up this, it made a huge difference like night and day. Cruising 40 meter, the band seems so quiet with this antenna. Noise level must have gone down so much compared to my dipole at 30 feet high feed point.

I realized I can now hear all the domestic stations. I live in Chicago suburb. With my old dipole, I could only hear area W4 and W5 with OK readability. W6 stations were usually weak. With this vertical antenna, surprisingly I can hear domestic stations clearly from all areas if not they are in skip zone. I also realized that I now hear many DX stations as well.

As a test, I responded to F5 stationfs CQ. Not only he called me back right away, he gave me 59 report from near Paris France. Then I called PA9 station from Netherlands, he responded me for my 1st try. These stations are using big antennas on their tower, while I am using this simple vertical with 100W bear foot.

Just out of curiosity, I turn down the power to 20W QRP and called Oklahoma station. He gives me 59 plus. What's going on? It's got be the incredible efficiency of this antenna. May be something to do with the thickness of aluminum pipe? I donft know.

I am very pleased with this antenna as well as the owner, Tom (N9ZV). Not only he personally delivered this antenna to me, he gave me a lots of good advice about vertical and DX. He is such a nice guy to deal with.

I highly recommend this antenna and Zero-Five. You don't need tower and Yagi to contact DX on 40 meter. This good looking simple, yet raggedly built antenna will provide the enjoyment of DX without building up radio tower.

Best 73

de AB9MQ / Masa Yamamoto

WR3KI Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2006 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Another DX Boomer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked this antenna up off of the internet, 2nd hand. The original owner did a poor job of packing & some parts were lost in shipping. A quick call to Tom at Zero-Five, & all was solved. Parts arrived in 48 hours, FREE of charge. Thanks Tom!!.
My first 40 meter contact was an EA in Spain. Ho-Hum, my report was 5-9 +20. Next contact was a Brit, another 5-9+15. Regular contacts with VK's on 40, yield 5-9+ reports. So, let's just say this antenna really plays well. The antenna is mounted on my pier, 250 feet out in the Chesapeake Bay. The antenna is UN-GUYED. (the pier extends 270 feet out into the bay, to reach good deep water for the fleet). Feeding the antenna with about 325 feet of 213 coax. I worked really hard putting in a radial field. I just threw six radials in the bay & stopped.

Fit & finish of the antenna is of commercial-military quality. So far it has stood up to 40-50 mph winds, with no problems. Overall, the constrution quality of the mount & antenna is ROBUST. Better than anything I've made & far better than the other usual suspects produce. (MFJ-Cushcraft, etc).
The next project is to buy a 2nd 40 meter vertical from Tom, & get them phased for NE-SW. I'll keep you posted on this project.
All the best from Kent Island, in the Chesapeake Bay of MD. WR3KI

KA7HUO Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2006 12:39 Send this review to a friend
1/4 WAVE 40M VERTICAL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I HAVE OWNED THIS ANTENNA FOR AROUND 3 MONTHS. IT WAS A PLEASURE WORKING WITH TOM AND HIS CUSTOMER SERVICE IS TO BE COMMENDED, YOU DO NOT FIND THAT VERY OFTEN ANYMORE. FOR THE ANTENNA, WHAT A BEAST. MADE FROM QUALITY MATERIAL AND HEAVY DUTY. I HAVE 120 - 100 FOOT RADIALS AROUND IT AND IT WORKS LIKE A DREAM. I HAVE RECEIVED GOOD REPORTS WHEATHER RUNNING BAREFOOT OR POWER. I WILL BE ORDERING OTHER ANTENNAS FROM TOM IN THE FUTURE, I KNOW THAT THIS IS MONEY WELL SPENT.

KA0W Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2005 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Fit!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The 1/4 wave 40 meter vertical is a good buy. Made of top notch materials, solid mount included, requires no guys. Perfect fit in my growing antenna farm. Attached 50+ radials and works like I wanted it to, like a vertcal with a ground system. Great for the low angles that my 40m rotatable dipole at 45' does not like to receive or give out. Tom is a great guy to do business with. Thanks Tom!

W5YE Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2005 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely first class products  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tom (owner of Zero-Five Antennas) has assembled an outstanding product line, both in quality of material used in the verticals, and his extraordinary personlal attention to your specific needs and questions.

The aluminum tubing is the high quality, aircraft - grade, and the hardware is over-sized and very robust. Tom's pricing will flabberghast even the most hard core "tight-wads".

I built a 4 square array, using Zero-Five, 40 meter verticals, and a Comtek Systems (www.comteksystems.com) array controller. Tom was with me all the way during construction, with answers to all of my questions. He even made several LD phone calls on his own nickel to Comtek Systems re: my array controller questions. You would have thought Tom was building this array for himself !

If you're looking for a high quality aluminum vertical or verticals - look no farther. Zero-Five Antennas can't be beat by anyone for quality and price and service.

A very happy Zero-Five customer,