Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | HUSTLER SF-2 Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER SF-2
HUSTLER SF-2 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $16.99
Description: 2 meter 5/8 wave mobile antenna (3.4 dB gain) with 3/8" x 24 thread stud.
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER SF-2.

KB7XU Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Very good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to have a full-sized Ford van. I mounted this antenna right in the middle of the roof and never had a problem with it and it worked very well over that large roof as a groundplane. Hustler used to call this the "Buckbuster" because it's quite inexpensive for what you get. I think you can buy an add-on groundplane for this as well.
Great antenna at any price.

KD5FLN Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2014 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my needs!   Time owned: more than 12 months
I used to drive a 18 wheeler cross country and it was a challenge to try to find a 2 meter antenna setup that would work on my rig. My 2m radio at that time was a Icom 2100H so I needed something that can handle the 50 or so watts that it can put out. I couldn't use a mag mount simply because there is no way for me to reach up to stick it on top of the cab, couldn't use trunk lip mounts, or ball mounts, I even tried a thru glass mount (terrible idea btw)
However I was familar with the "Hustler" name as their CB antennas are very popular among truckers, I soon found out that they made a 2m whip antenna with the same threaded base as a CB mount that we use on our side mirrors!
The SF-2 is a great antenna, in fact I ordered 2 more today, one for my home base station & another for my car. It has great gain, very good sound & audio reports and very durable in all weather, in fact the SF-2 is still on my truck after 7-8yrs still going strong! If your a trucker looking for a 2 meter mobile antenna THIS IS IT!

KN0JI Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2013 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Nothing touches the SF-2  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have two of these puppies: one mounted on my house's (now dormant) swamp cooler (27 feet above ground) and one mounted on my car. As far as omni antennas go, nothing but nothing comes close to their performance. The one on my house is connected to my Yaesu FT-2900R with 50 feet of RG-8X, resulting in an SWR of about 1.9:1 and the one on my car is connected to yet another Yaesu FT-2900R with 15 feet of RG-8X, resulting in an SWR of about 1.7:1. With my radios at 5 W, everybody within 46 miles reports full quieting.
Compared with my J-Pole (Arrow OSJ 146/440) and several homemade ground planes (dual 30 degree and quad 40 degree downward radials), the Hustler SF-2 outperforms them hands-down. I plan to purchase four more before 2014.

K4DSB Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2013 08:47 Send this review to a friend
Built Well..strong performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had many (monoband) VHF antennas and for some reason this one performers really well.. I know the theory and (3.4 dbi over Isotropic is the highest theoretical gain.. on a 5/8 wave vs 1/4 wave and it is but) comparing this to other 5/8's I've own.. I was able to get a better match (very easy to tune) was impressed with the solid build, not to much wind resistance (thin radiator) and worked well on my magmount... slightly better broadband match and handles every bit of 100watts... I love this 2 meter antenna...

KI4ABS Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Exactly what I wanted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler. CB accessories for Jeeps are readily available; ham gear is not. I wanted to take advantage of the easily and inexpensively obtained CB mounts and cabling when I added my IC-2100H 2m transceiver. Only problem: everything is 3/8x24, not UHF or NMO. Solution: the Hustler SF-2. And it's exactly what I wanted. Biggest pleasant shock: the price! I have a $60 Diamond antenna on another vehicle, and this antenna performs just as well, and doesn't appear to be of any less quality at a quarter of the price. I don't see how you could go wrong with this antenna if all you're looking for is a monoband 2m antenna, especially with the wide availability of inexpensive CB mounts.

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2010 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for the Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine in May 2010 from Universal Radio for $14.95. You can hardly buy a 4 foot whip for that anymore. The antenna looks neat and works, well, as good as a 5/8 wave can work - just fine for long range mobile communications. I like the 3/8 24 thread base, you can buy mag mounts from CB shops for pretty cheap that fits these threads and for under $35 have yourself a good antenna and mag mount altogether. Hustler makes exceptionally good antennas. Yes I know they changed from the old compression nut to the two set screws which I don't much like either, but overall, I have to rate this antenna as outstanding as well. Thanks, Hustler, a good American made antenna and company that has been around for decades.

N3IDG Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2008 19:00 Send this review to a friend
gr8  Time owned: months
i run a 1/4 thru the roof but carry the sf2 on mag mount for when the 1/4 wave just dont cut it mine is old style with the furrel lock

WB4TJH Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2008 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Works OK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I paired this mobile antenna up with the matching AX-2 Hustler ground plane, which has three downward sloping radials. I have the antenna mounted on a steel mast about 20 meet above the ground and above my TV antenna with 25 feet of coax. It works as well as any other 5/8 wave ground plane, and after two and a half years outside, it has not let me down. I live 3 1/2 miles from the gulf of Mexico, and despite the salt air, the SF-2 and groundplane are doing just fine. It makes a good, durable, very wind resistant, low profile 5/8 ground plane, and I can hit repeaters 50 miles away with no problems. I have had the SF-2 for many years, but had never used it. I paid about $22 for the ground plane, sor for a very small extra investment, I put together a very good outside 2 meter antenna.

W7VU Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2006 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Lacks Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Hustler SF-2 (my 4th one). The design has been changed from a nut-and-clutch sleeve, to two set screws to secure the whip to the base assembly. The antenna came with an instruction sheet for the older design. I couldn't insert the whip into the base assembly due to burrs on the inside of the set screw holes. There was also a glob of metal at the bottom of the 3/8-24 threads that had to be ground off before I could use it. No lock washer (p/n 2381-16) was included for securing the base.

You can't beat the performance and price, however.

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Fine 5/8ths wave whip  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using several mobile antennas I've found one that I really like, so well in fact I bought two of them.

This antenna can achive an excellant SWR with out too much trouble (never above 1.5.1 from 144.000-148.000) and it performs like a champ on both TX & RX actually competing well with my base 5/8ths antenna at 35 feet remarkably well.

Other 5/8th's wave antennas I've compared it too are the Firestick which if cut properly does a fine job but is thick fiberglass and needs a heavey duty mount, and it will not bend if your going under a tree branch or what ever.

A Hustler MX2 older version with small magmount, and the newer version with the larger mag mount. Both are tough to tune, and mine did perform well at all.

MFJ 1724B works pretty well, but when I'm offroad the performance of a 5/8th's wave can make all the difference.

If your looking for good 2 meter only 5/8th's wave antenna I can recommend the SF-2 without reservations. Kind of a surprise after the two Hustler MX2 antennas, but I took the word of the sales person at HRO, and again am very pleased.