Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | HUSTLER SF-2 Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER SF-2
HUSTLER SF-2 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $16.99
Description: 2 meter 5/8 wave mobile antenna (3.4 dB gain) with 3/8" x 24 thread stud.
More info: http://www.new-tronics.com

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER SF-2.

W7VU Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2006 09:38 Send this review to a friend
Lacks Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Hustler SF-2 (my 4th one). The design has been changed from a nut-and-clutch sleeve, to two set screws to secure the whip to the base assembly. The antenna came with an instruction sheet for the older design. I couldn't insert the whip into the base assembly due to burrs on the inside of the set screw holes. There was also a glob of metal at the bottom of the 3/8-24 threads that had to be ground off before I could use it. No lock washer (p/n 2381-16) was included for securing the base.

You can't beat the performance and price, however.

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2006 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Fine 5/8ths wave whip  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After using several mobile antennas I've found one that I really like, so well in fact I bought two of them.

This antenna can achive an excellant SWR with out too much trouble (never above 1.5.1 from 144.000-148.000) and it performs like a champ on both TX & RX actually competing well with my base 5/8ths antenna at 35 feet remarkably well.

Other 5/8th's wave antennas I've compared it too are the Firestick which if cut properly does a fine job but is thick fiberglass and needs a heavey duty mount, and it will not bend if your going under a tree branch or what ever.

A Hustler MX2 older version with small magmount, and the newer version with the larger mag mount. Both are tough to tune, and mine did perform well at all.

MFJ 1724B works pretty well, but when I'm offroad the performance of a 5/8th's wave can make all the difference.

If your looking for good 2 meter only 5/8th's wave antenna I can recommend the SF-2 without reservations. Kind of a surprise after the two Hustler MX2 antennas, but I took the word of the sales person at HRO, and again am very pleased.

KD8DEY Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2006 21:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this one to replace a Firestik that I purchaced and couldnt get to match properly. Works great. no problems with setting it up. about a 1.3:1 match at both ends of the band. currently installed in the center of my astrovan on a ball mount. would be nice if they packaged a version with a spring included and the whip properly shortened to compensate. great antenna for the price.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2005 09:24 Send this review to a friend
FB Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good performance, comparable to 5/8 mag. mounts I've used. Seems to be well-built, but had to bore out the top of the coil assembly to be able to insert the whip as it had a manufacturing flaw. Really like the flexibility of the 3/8 x 24 stud as I share a Comet RS-730 mount with the 2 meter and other rigs in the car (one band at a time). Had to cut around 3" off to get SWR to 1.3:1 as initially it was 2:1. Good value and owned one in late 70's and came back to it.