Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Craftsman 3600 Watt Generator Help

Reviews Summary for Craftsman 3600 Watt Generator
Craftsman 3600 Watt Generator Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $500
Description: Powerful 7 hp Briggs & Stratton GenTek™ OHV engine for smooth, quiet running. Supplies 3600 Rated Watts of power.
PowerStart™ Alternator supplies 5300 surge watts
4 gal. fuel tank runs up to 12 hours at half load
Circuit breaker protection keeps connected tools/appliances from damage. Push-button reset.
Oversized spark arrest muffler for safe, quiet operation
Full-wrap protective cradle with wheel kit helps prevent damage/provides easy portability
5 easy-access power outlets: 4-120 volt standard, 1-120/240 volt 20 amp locking outlet
Includes 1 locking plug 120/140 volt 20 amp, bottle of engine oil
More info: http://www.sears.com

You can write your own review of the Craftsman 3600 Watt Generator.

W4KAZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, but a little loud  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rated this little beast a 5 because the only negative I've experienced is the moderately high noise level. So it's really a 4.8 - but the rating system here limited.

If it were quiet too, it would be perfect.

I've had this model since 2003, or about seven years now. It has been very reliable, and has about 450+ hours of operation on it. It has been used for several field operations(FD and IOTA expeditions) where it has run for 24 to 48 hours, stopping only for re-fueling.

It has been a great performer. Oil and filter changes are not difficult. Good quality Briggs and Stratton OHV engine.

Similar models are also sold under Coleman and Briggs&Stratton branding.

The 3500 watt rating may be conservative, it has a 5000w surge rating.

Cons:
* Noisy, slightly less than a 5kw model. Much louder than one of the quiet Honda or Yamaha models.

Pros:
* VERY easy to start. Much easier to start than any lawn mower I have ever owned, despite the higher engine horsepower of the generator.
* Also easy to pull the starter cord.
* Does not burn oil
* Somewhat lighter in weight than a 5KW model
* Good voltage regulation
* Very good value, high quality/low price.
* Has been very reliable.
* Runs for 12-13+ hours on a full tank(4 gallons)
* Can run the home heat system in power outages, which was the original reason for buying it.
* At the time of purchase this was the only model I found less than 5KW that had a 240v outlet.

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2005 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Good Value and the hell with the noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was wandering through the tool department at Sears and noticed this generator on the closeout pallet in an open box. I managed to attract the attention of a salesman after a few minutes and asked him about the noise level. He told me it sounded like a very loud lawn mower. Since I own a townhouse with elderly neighbors, I was reluctant to buy it and left the store.

A month later, I was in the same department and the generator was still sitting there. Once again, I searched for a salesman and asked if Sears would "deal" on it since it had been sitting there a few weeks. He got the department manager and I got the generator for $350. They even loaded it in my SUV for me.

Two weeks later, storms hit the Minneapolis area and the power went away. I wheeled the generator out in my driveway, hooked up a couple of drop cords for freezer and refrigerator and two days later got my power back. The generator is easy to start, apparently reasonable on gas usage, and about as loud as a small lawn mower. No complaints from the neighbors but did get some envious glances from them as they wandered around the neighborhood with no power in their homes.

I might get the accessory connector that wires into the breaker box in my garage to safely hook up the generator to the household wiring. Just be careful about the total wattage used.

I like Sears stuff.

K2ROK Rating: 4/5 Sep 28, 2005 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Realible workhorse but louder than a Honda  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this for mainly for power outages, as it's way more wattage than just to run a rig or two on field day. What I love about it is that fact it is simple and functional to operate and maintain. The wheel kit makes it easy to move around, but you have to install it yourself. I bought it on sale, for less than the listed price, so check the Sears ads for sales.

I give it a four only because it can't compare to the Honda series in terms of overall quiet operation. Although this is quieter than a PowerMate or cheaper offering with a mere "lawnmower" engine -- it is still sort of loud.

Another great thing is the wattage per dollar -- it does pretty well in that department. The Hondas are obviously more expensive, and you get less power compared to the dollars spent on this Craftsman - so it is a trade-off for quiet versus price versus wattage.

If you do not have neighbors right on top of you, then the Craftsman 3600 watt generator is right for you. If you need to consider sound level, whether for home or at a campsite, then you must check out the Hondas.

Overall, you can probably see this generator first-hand at any local Sears hardware store. Starting is easy and always happens on the first pull, even the cold northeast winter. I run it for awhile with a load once a month to keep it ready.

If you're in the market for an inexpensive, reliable, portable unit that will give you some decent wattage, then give it a look!