Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Cushcraft X-9 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft X-9
Cushcraft X-9 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $995.
Description: 9 element 10-15-20m triband beam
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft X-9.

YB0IR Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2008 11:15 Send this review to a friend
FIne Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nice Antenna. I claimed 3 Monoband SSB ARRL DXCC award 10-15-20 M with barefoot 100W. I do use these antenna for 12 & 17 M SSB with tuner no problem at all.In preparation to claim 17m SSB monoband and RTTY very soon. The great performance in 10 M ..it worked 6 elements.

It still hangin on my tower up till now since Dec 1999.

W6LAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2003 00:16 Send this review to a friend
Still A1 after 6 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Now that its been in service for about 6 years I still rate it at a 5. I bring my antenna array to the ground level a few times a year to do preventitive maintenance on them. Its easy with a GlennMartin tower and hazer.

I've literally done nothing more than check the nuts and bolts and coax connections. We had some very heavy wind conditions the last month with gusting over 80Mph. This antenna just flies in the wind, no damage done. Still runs the bands like new. Last year the wind destroyed my rotor, a tailtwister but left the antenna alone. I replace the rotor with a Prosistel unit. It blows the tailtwister away!

SM0FLY Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2001 15:54 Send this review to a friend
ok!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have the X9 up since Sept 98 and besides of the 'known' problem with the loosen screws in the balun, it's a great antenna and the first trapped tribander I ever owned that really handles 1KW++ without a problem.
/Bram SM0FLY

OE1EMS Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2001 10:05 Send this review to a friend
good one  Time owned: more than 12 months
the best anntena for 20 15 10 which i ever used
i have now two of them....

W6LAR Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2000 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Error Below  Time owned: unknown months
The A3CX should have been the A3WS in message below

W6LAR Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2000 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Performes well  Time owned: unknown months
Had mine up since early 96 on a 60' GlenMartin with voyager hazer. An A3CX 10 ft above it too. Assembly was long and the directions sould be a bit clearer. So far SWR is low on 20/15/10 and as below I like the broadband feed. No traps on driven elements. I can even load it up on 40M with a tuner in a pinch. But a dipole works better. I had originally ordered the 40M add on as it was planned to be a two element design. The when it changed to a dipole, I backed out on the order. Cushcraft said they did "not" advertise it as a two element add on but they did!
Anyway, I am more than satisfied with the antenna as it stands. Just suffered a 70 mph + wind storm here that lasted over two days and had no problems. It and the A3 warc antenna just fly like the birds!

W8HB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2000 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Choice for HF...  Time owned: unknown months
I have had the X-9 beam up since September 1998 when I moved to a new location in the country. I was in a hurry to get it up because of an upcoming Dxpedition. I was able to get the antenna up on a 56 foot Rohn with no problems other than a lengthy assembly time of two days! That was taking my time and double checking everything! Directions leave a little to be desired but all parts were there and went together okay! It performs very well with excellent results and low VSWR. Also able to use WARC bands on it even though not designed for them! Work good DX easily with it daily! Overall opinion is that it's an excellent choice for someone who wants a good solid and dependable antenna!

K9AY Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2000 13:21 Send this review to a friend
A well-designed large tribander  Time owned: unknown months
I like the X9's design: broadband feed, very few traps, no traps in the high-current driven elements and reflectors. At a little over $700 (Dayton 5/99), it is a very good value for a big tribander. The X9 has given me no surprises at all. I took plenty of time for assembly; this is a large tribander with lots of pieces. Nothing was missing and some extra nuts, bolts and clamps are provided. The boom-to-mast assembly made setting the X9 in place easier than any antenna I've had before. Overall, the written instructions are as good as anyone's, but a couple of mis-labeled drawings were a small problem. Performance is just as advertised, based on observed beamwidth, front-to-back and VSWR curves. As expected, the main beam is noticeably sharper than the smaller tribanders I've owned; more like the TH-6/TH-7/KT-34XA at other stations I've operated. The X9 has a low VSWR across all three bands, great for operating both modes. My only concern is the longevity of the hose clamps -- I like the electrical contact of a clamped connection (versus sheet metal screw or pop rivet), but would prefer a more robust clamp. Bottom line -- the X9 is an excellent choice. 5 star rating with better clamps!

W8HB Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2000 00:45 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD PERFORMANCE  Time owned: unknown months
I have had an X-9 since August of 1998 and I am very pleased with it's performance! It's mounted on a HBX-56 Rohn tower. Even though it's well built, the assembly was tedious with a couple problems but nothing major! I've worked quite a few since I purchased the beam and I get good reports from all! It also works well on the WARC bands. I would highly recommend this antenna...