Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-255A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-255A
Kenwood TM-255A Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $450 (used)
Description: Best Buy for a 2 meter all-mode - a real "sleeper"
More info: http://www.kenwood.co.jp/i/products/info/amateur/tm255455.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-255A.

PD2IW Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2016 10:02 Send this review to a friend
excellent rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,I've got the TM 455e,its an excellent rig. I have only one problem,I can t find a way to activate the 1750 HZ Tone. For the rest it is an excellent all-mode rig.

G4CQM Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2016 20:03 Send this review to a friend
Superb 2M radio worth keeping  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for a great 2M radio for DXing, this is it! Superb performer, great receiver, quiet but very sensitive. Heard D44TS at 4200KM Tropo no problem last year (2015)! Handles strong signals with ease. Transmit audio quality excellent. Solid construction and simple to operate. My one has had the faulty electrolytic capacitor changed by Geoff at Castle Electronics, a worthwhile investment. Now I know why everyone has rated this radio with a 5!

NL7CO Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2015 11:46 Send this review to a friend
From my cold, dead hands  Time owned: more than 12 months
The last 2m only all-mode radio ever built and when you use one, you will see why they can't afford to purpose build something like this anymore.

Great radio, I work it hard on digital EME and MS and it just smiles at me. The only way to do it any better would be a DEMI Xvrter with an SDR which doesn't work well when activating that rare grid.

KC6KIM Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 21:55 Send this review to a friend
WOW finally found one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello Everybody,

Just got mine today 1/23/2010 !!! What a difference from my 817,857 in rx, hands down a superb reciever! Love this radio, looks good with my TS-50s by its side.

Got great audio reports on ssb & fm. Easy to use, loaded memories without the book, intuitive!
Anthony KC6KIM

SM5DIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2010 00:25 Send this review to a friend
TM-255E  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my TM-255E as a gift from a friend as hi could not find the problem it had (loose circuit inside e coil can). I fixed the fault and now I use this great rig as back up to my TS-790E. Plan to install the rig in my car and looking for the long cable to use between front panel and rig. Anyone know the part Nr for this cable? I suppose no shops sell those any more, perhaps I can make one by my self.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2009 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Very good receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just got out my TM255 which I used about 10 years ago as a mobile rig. After reading these posts, I connected it to some test gear and found the receiver is the best I have ever witnessed, not necessarily in sensitivity which is good but the noise floor is extremely low allowing many more stations to be heard. Now I know why I saw one on E-Bay a while back selling for over $400.

OH1JO Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2009 15:21 Send this review to a friend
The best 2mb rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Have been using TM-255A (usa version,40w) for abt one year now.. I have IC-275H (100w) and Kenwood TR-751A(25w) too.. Rx on ssb is very good.. TR-751A is maybe a bit more sensitive on FM.. but has less output pwr.. I use TR-751A as my 2m mobile rig and its working great too. TM-255 is better on rx and has better tx audio compared with my Ic-275H.. I am vy pleased to have all these three radios but TM-255 is the best of the bunch. My TM-455E (70cm) rig is great too.. Get one if you find a working unit.. I am sure you will not regret it! Forget all band radios if you are into 2 mb! 73s de OH1JO

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2009 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the E version a few years ago, and made the stupid mistake of upgrading to a TS-2000E. Not that the TS-2K was bad, but its 2m performance didn't come close, and, the same was true of the Icom IC-7000. Today I bought another TM-255E and this time I'll be leaving feet first before I part with this gem. Anything else I would say would simply reflect the lavish praise on this review blog. Highly recommended.

M6KIM Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic set  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently bought a TM-255E, the European version, as a replacement for my TR-751E which is a great set in itself.

Amazingly the 255 is a vast improvement. Much better sensitivity and very little SSB drift compared to the 751. Good rich and punchy audio with the advantages of both Hi/Lo gain and compression for those hard to reach stations.

It may be an older model single band set however it still out-performs most of the 2m band that is provided by new multi-band radios.

A total delight to use.

If you can find a good one for under 250 sterling (currently $350 US) grab it fast!

N8LTD Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2007 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one from 1995-1998. I sold it because I got the Icom 706 and didn't think I would need it anymore. It was used as a base and a mobile. It never had any problems. Too bad they don't make these anymore. With the Yaesu FT-857d and Icom 706 MK IIG under $1000, I guess it doesn't make sense to buy a single band radio that would cost almost as much. When I got back into ham radio in August 2007, I started to miss my 255A. Those were the days.