Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-255A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-255A
Kenwood TM-255A Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $450 (used)
Description: Best Buy for a 2 meter all-mode - a real "sleeper"
More info: http://www.kenwood.co.jp/i/products/info/amateur/tm255455.html

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-255A.

G4EDY Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2003 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Exceptional transceiver! Sensitive, clean receiver much better than the all too common broadband nasties fitted to most current transceivers.

Very good transmit quality.

Easy to use with intuitive controls.

My all time best buy! Why did they stop making it??

N9LBW Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2003 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased another one of these radios after selling my first one in 1995. It still has the best sensitivity and selectivity of any radio that I have owned. I also have a Kenwood TS2000 and a Icom IC-746, so it can perform with the big boys. Also I get better transmit audio reports than the other two. If you can find one of these radios for around $400, go for it. I am rating it more than 12 months, because of owning the other one.

N1RSR Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2002 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Invincible RX. A great dedicated 2M rig.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I can't say enough good things about the RX on
this radio, it's pretty much invincible to any
kind of garbage outside of the 2M ham band, and
even stuff in the band doesn't interfere with it
that much, unless its on the frequency that you
have tuned in.

Also, crystal clear audio from the mic, and
general robust construction make this radio a
winner. If 2M is your place ot be, you can't
go wrong with one of these.

My only complaint is the lack of power output
levels, would be nice to have 5 / 10 / 25 / 40W
instead of just the 5W / 40W setting. But that's
hardly worth docking a point for.

Also, for those who may not know, this radio does
not, and will never, transmit or recieve out of
band, aside from use with a transverter. I think
that is part of the reason why the RX is so darn
good, is it is optimized for 144-148 mhz. This
is a worthwhile compromise, in my opinion.

KE4SKY Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2002 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Great RACES Radio!  Time owned: months
An update on my earlier report. After having experienced problems with other 2 meter and dual-band mobiles getting clobbered by intermod and having poor weak signal receive for simplex, we've been buying these up where ever we can find them, and now have 5 of these rigs in our RACES organization. Stack one with your TS-50 HF rig and you have the perfect mobile set-up.

If you find one of these grab it. If you find it and don't buy it, let ME know and I'll pass the word to one of our guys who WILL grab it. These are great rigs! It was the best kept secret, but no more... You read it here first!

W6PMR Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2001 02:46 Send this review to a friend
Very good all mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a 255 after my old TS700 went south. I was looking for a 751 or an Icom 271 because I wanted to keep the investment level in check. I was also borrowing a 711, and because those seem to sell for $500 or more with tone unit, I just thought that was too much for that radio.
My TM255A is a GREAT performer! It has more power than the 751,711 or the 271, and MUCH more features than those radios.
I put the 711 and the 255 on the bench with an antenna switch. In my shack I found the 255 to be a hotter receiver with a more effective noise blanker.
Now consider that the 255 goes for about $100 LESS than the 711..........
This is the best two meter ssb radio for the money going. If you find one of these at about $400 and you are looking for a all mode, grab this one, you will not be disappionted.

KE4SKY Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2001 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Best 2-meter Mobile!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a pair of these, one bought new 4-years ago for big bucks, liked it so much I sought another one used. I'd grab a third if I found one use one clean and reasonable. I use one in the shack and another mobile. GREAT receiver for weak signal work on both FM simplex and SSB, much more sentive than my older Yaesu FT726R as well as having 100 memories and being 9600 baud data capable with above average intermod rejection.

I'm not a contester, but use the rig daily during commutes as well as for rag chews and ARES / RACES. These are a very good buy for a 2-meter rig which does everything. The contesters like the transverter direct display function.

A well thought-out, easy to use rig loaded with features, excellent performance. This is one to seek out and grab when the opportunity presents itself!

ON7ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2001 07:17 Send this review to a friend
WHAT A RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
IN BELGIUM IT IS TM-255E
IT IS A VERY FINE ALL MODE VHF RIG.
ALWAYS GET NICE REPORT.

W8GND Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2000 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a used TM255A from a rather wellknow ham dealer (used) and found it to be a remarkable radio for its day. The things sold for about $850 when new, I paid $450.

It had an enormous number of features, And obviously was part of the TS50 series (similar box. Even similar shipping box. Not a lot of power, but still it just had everything.

Alas, it had a fatal defect, and I had to return it. The defect was not Kenwood's fault. Wish they still sold them, new.

Jerry O'Dell, W8GND