Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Drake T-4X Help

Reviews Summary for Drake T-4X
Drake T-4X Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$495 in 1964
Description: pair of 6JB6 finals 160m-10m tranmitter tube, can operate WARC with xtra crystals. used with R-4,R-4a,R-4b,R-4c series as xmitter for xciver.
More info: http://www.wb4hfn.com/DrakeEquipment/Equip_T4X.htm

You can write your own review of the Drake T-4X.

NM2G Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2013 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
First thing I did when I bought the "twins" was send them to Ron (WB4HFN) for functional refurb. I have used it almost weekly for Vox and CW with no issues whatsoever. Added a crystal for 160 meters about a year ago and that has been lots of fun. It's just been a really great radio.

VE3CUI Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Rig---It Has CLASS!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I went out of my way a couple of years ago to buy a good set of Drake Twins, and settled upon an R-4 receiver (Yup! No "A", "B", "C" versions here!), and a matching T-4X...

Why did I do this...? Because I lament the fact that to-day's modern wonder rigs have left me in the dust, i.e.. just another lamentable "appliance operator."

But I am VERY comfortable with the tube-type twins, and do not hesitate for a moment to get into them as need(s) may dictate---and this I have already done in a few "labours of love"...

The biggest possible problem with the T-4X...? Hands down, the PTO! If you experience any "flakey", jumpy, erratic frequency across all the bands, suspect the PTO. In the end, I had to get (literally!) right inside that "black box" of a PTO here, and discovered a couple of solder joints that had "gone south" on the rig...and after almost 50 years, is this surprising...?!

Eventually I replaced the fixed silver mica capacitors in mine, and all of the resistors. Was it worth it...? By far the answer is YES: I now have a "like new" transmitter, and any fear that I may have had re. "entering the unknown" (the PTO can!) were banished when I was done.

The rig has a nice, warm note to it on CW that really has to be heard to be appreciated. What a nice radio, in so many MORE ways than one...!

W4ET Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2010 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the T4X transmitter for several years now. It works great, sounds good, is stable (after warm up) and has been dependable. It puts out 100 watts + on 75 and 40 meters. I use it mostly on 40 meter CW with an R4B receiver when I want to re-live the "good old days." I also occasionally use it on 75 meters to talk with my brother on SSB. My T4X has been fully restored and operates like a new one.

When you use a Drake T4X, I don't believe the person on the receiving end can tell that you are using a vintage transmitter until you tell them. For being 40+ years old, it keeps up with the latest tranceivers with no problem. Of course, you have to tune it.

73 - Ron - W4ET

K9QS Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2009 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Great transmitter, but really shouldn't be used on 30m.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a T4X paired with an R4A, and I run them separate. I get great audio reports on phone, and CW is clean and stable; can't tell it apart from a contemporary rig. What I wanted to add, however, is that it really isn't a good idea to use the T4X on 30 meters. There is the 5645 kc xtal-controlled oscillator, whose second harmonic falls on 11290. Looking at the rig's output on a spectrum analyzer showed that the 5645 2nd harmonic was riding through, only being 15 db down from the desired carrier on 30m. 17 and 12m did not show any problems in this regard. Other than this caveat, it's a great transmitter.

K8WV Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2007 19:33 Send this review to a friend
T-4X(Any)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my T4XB for about 2 years, but hadn't used it much until my main transceiver decided to go on vacation (without me). While waiting for its return I fired up my R4B/T4XB pair. Wow! What a nice, solid station they are. Transmitted audio, with a D104, is great. No QSK, but CW is very smooth. The R4B is sensitive and, with an old Timewave DSP9, also very, very selective. Given that you can pick up a clean used pair for cheap, these are a great deal!

Support is readily available from a dedicated group of users, and service, too, is available from experienced and interested techs. No fear.

The R4(any)/T4X(any) have a lot of knobs, too. I like that!

K8WV

AA5TE Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2006 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Great transmitter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works wonderfully when used with a Drake R4B. Never had a problem busting pileups, received good audio reports as well. This is one tough transmitter, especially with all of the tuning that I put it through.

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2005 23:06 Send this review to a friend
hotTransmitter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This transmitter is nice, works well with R-4 series recievers. 140w out on 80m and nice strong punch for dxing. can operate with receiver either seperate or transeive, either R-4 or T-4 vfo, can operate 160-10m, and even WARC with xtals. works great be careful on 30m. Nice transmitter, if you get one be sure to add a cooling fan to the power cage to keep it cool. can be modified to use 6146 if needed.