Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | MRP40 Morse Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for MRP40 Morse Decoder
MRP40 Morse Decoder Reviews: 37 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $49.90 Euro
Description: Morse code send receive program, runs under Windows.
More info: http://www.polar-electric.com/Morse/MRP40-EN/

You can write your own review of the MRP40 Morse Decoder.

W3ATT Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2014 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
The best decoder out there. I used this software to increase my speed from about 18-20 wpm to over 30. How? I would use is when qso's would get a bit fast for me. To challenge myself, I would copy in my head. If I would miss a word or two and start to lose copy, I could look at the MRP40 to regain my spot in the qso. It wasn't long until I was able to copy with less and less help from MRP40. And now, I can run /m at over 30wpm with no help at all.

While other readers would lose copy in qrn/qrm conditions, MRP40 keeps on copying - especially weak signals (which would kill other readers.)

I'd also like to add that MRP40 makes copy possible when an otherwise poor fist and spacing make it difficult!

Another way that I use MRP40 - even today - is as a zero-beat feature for my older rig. I simply line up my incoming signal with the decoder's 2 red lines. When the incoming signal reads 815hz, I am zero-beat and that's all I need to do - visual zero-beat; nice and fast - especially in contests.

You can choose from several window sizes to fit the MRP40 somewhere on screen with your logging software.

And you can give demos of how cw works when you have visitors in the shack. Very nice to let interested people actually see what is being sent and received (also reads what you send via your sidetone.)

Great customer support from Norbert. I had 2 computer crashes and finally replaced my computer and Norbert was right there with a new product key so that I could keep using MRP40 with a new download - Thanks Norbert!

G0VUH Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2014 06:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been looking for a Morse decoder to help me along with my listening speed. This software is amazing!!! Its opened up a whole new world of morse code for me! Decodes morse that i could barely hear and allowed me to have a QSO back with my key, although it sends morse beautifully at any speed you like. Right off for some dx on six in the cw section.

K6EEP Rating: 3/5 Nov 3, 2013 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced Commercial software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The program worked for me. It is an average CW decoding program.
It is way over priced at $67.30. You can get free software that performs better. I like CW Decoder.
This is supposedly Shareware. I don't agree with that classification. It is Commercial software with a 30 day free Trial period.

EI8KF Rating: 1/5 Feb 3, 2013 13:39 Send this review to a friend
A waste of money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is expensive software that really hasn't performed as well as other 'FREE' programs since I bought the full version.
I've had a number of problems since I bought it the latest problem being that it crashed and requires a reboot to relaunch the program. I've noticed that at times it simply doesn't decode, despite the presence of a strong signal. CwGet's AutoGTM never fails in locking on to a signal and gives reasonable copy at any speed, MRP40 doesn't always manage this which means I have to manually play with the settings before it starts to decode. I'm not sure why there are options for decoding different strength signals either? How do you determine which is weak signal or otherwise and select the option accordingly?? Again, not an issue with CwGet, it simply decodes as best as it can given the conditions. And there are better filtering options in CwGet!
The interface is very poor and really needs to be updated. It looks ancient alongside other radio applications and appears to be written for BBC computers! It certainly doesn't have the sophistication or styling of Ham Radio Deluxe!!
I found MRP40 to be a disappointment given the cost of the software, my advice, save your money and use any of the free options easily found on the web.

N5RMS Rating: 2/5 Dec 9, 2012 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Decodes well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried it during ARRL 160 and 10 meter contest. Decoded well. I started logging using the minilog. Ran a few contacts and checked the minilog. I could find no way to open an .ADIF file with this program. Had to use N1MM import function. Log did not record frequency, but did record band, but not MODE! Figured out how to use this program with N1MM for logging. Used audio input mode for MRP40, and just let it decode CW and manually logged into N1MM. Could send CW using N1MM thru comport and keyboard. I think I will look at CWSkimmer and other programs before I shell out $60.

K3GC Rating: 2/5 Nov 16, 2012 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Not For Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried MRP40 twice over time comparing it to cwget. Its functionality I rate good. It does as good a decoding job as CWget and there it stops.
The cost is prohibitive - about the same as the much better CW Skimmer which itself is a bit over priced.
I rebuild systems fairly often so the licensing scheme is a real deal breaker.
I have too many better places to put limited resources.
Not for me.

ON6KE Rating: 3/5 Sep 14, 2012 23:48 Send this review to a friend
mm..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have CW Skimmer installed for several years now, it's a great help during contests.
I ran across MRP40 the other day and thought why not try it out side by side with CW Skimmer.

It doesn't even come close to CW Skimmer:

1. no simultaneous decoding, CW Skimmer does 100's, MRP40 just 1
2. decode is inferior to CW Skimmer
3. set level required on 'oscillogram'
4. text formatting is dated
5. fixed size windows

Glad I didn't put my money on MRP40 so many years ago.

WA2TGE Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2012 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to my shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this software for two years and when I compare it to any other products it shows well. I have been pleasantly surprised with both cw and mcw transmission. While I don't use the type ahead buffer, it is available. I like the ability to type on the keyboard and have the text sent immediately. I use the decoding function when the cw is sent at a speed faster than I can copy. I have found that its decoding accuracy improves dramatically when the rf gain is backed down. This is probabably true for all cw decoders. Generally, the faster the cw, the better it decodes. Slow code allows more time for the agc to recover and put noise between the characters. There are some sloppy operators out there that can only be copied manualy, if at all. If the CW op can send with some degree of proficiency, this unit will copy it. My only complaint is the level of the documentation. Would prefer more information.

W4JPA Rating: 0/5 Aug 2, 2012 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to compare this program to CwGET and a couple of other CW decoders.
1/ I had to wait an increasingly frustrating amount of time to open the program.
2/ When it came up could see the incoming Morse characters very well defined. But the text decode didn't show at all or random characters appeared!

I guess this guy is protecting his program but I am old fashioned & have no problem paying for something I like. But when I cant test the thing to see what I am getting for my money - well tough luck - I don't want it.

XE2NBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Excelent and work great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this to decode CW position from a Balloon and send to APRS, The MRP40 work fantastic and decode a lot of the valid paquets from CW, i used a single packet like: XE2NL/B DL95UQ 2000 FT 43 where last two digit are the checksum error, this message is get by DDE from MRP40, and a my own program CWIgate post to APRS server.
Yo can view working at: (min 4:03 and up)
you can view the tracking at:

The best CW decoder in the world!