Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | MRP40 Morse Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for MRP40 Morse Decoder
MRP40 Morse Decoder Reviews: 39 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $49.90 Euro
Description: Morse code send receive program, runs under Windows.

You can write your own review of the MRP40 Morse Decoder.

ON6KE Rating: 3/5 Sep 14, 2012 23:48 Send this review to a friend
mm..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have CW Skimmer installed for several years now, it's a great help during contests.
I ran across MRP40 the other day and thought why not try it out side by side with CW Skimmer.

It doesn't even come close to CW Skimmer:

1. no simultaneous decoding, CW Skimmer does 100's, MRP40 just 1
2. decode is inferior to CW Skimmer
3. set level required on 'oscillogram'
4. text formatting is dated
5. fixed size windows

Glad I didn't put my money on MRP40 so many years ago.
WA2TGE Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2012 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to my shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this software for two years and when I compare it to any other products it shows well. I have been pleasantly surprised with both cw and mcw transmission. While I don't use the type ahead buffer, it is available. I like the ability to type on the keyboard and have the text sent immediately. I use the decoding function when the cw is sent at a speed faster than I can copy. I have found that its decoding accuracy improves dramatically when the rf gain is backed down. This is probabably true for all cw decoders. Generally, the faster the cw, the better it decodes. Slow code allows more time for the agc to recover and put noise between the characters. There are some sloppy operators out there that can only be copied manualy, if at all. If the CW op can send with some degree of proficiency, this unit will copy it. My only complaint is the level of the documentation. Would prefer more information.
W4JPA Rating: 0/5 Aug 2, 2012 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Not for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to compare this program to CwGET and a couple of other CW decoders.
1/ I had to wait an increasingly frustrating amount of time to open the program.
2/ When it came up could see the incoming Morse characters very well defined. But the text decode didn't show at all or random characters appeared!

I guess this guy is protecting his program but I am old fashioned & have no problem paying for something I like. But when I cant test the thing to see what I am getting for my money - well tough luck - I don't want it.
XE2NBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Excelent and work great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this to decode CW position from a Balloon and send to APRS, The MRP40 work fantastic and decode a lot of the valid paquets from CW, i used a single packet like: XE2NL/B DL95UQ 2000 FT 43 where last two digit are the checksum error, this message is get by DDE from MRP40, and a my own program CWIgate post to APRS server.
Yo can view working at: (min 4:03 and up)
you can view the tracking at:

The best CW decoder in the world!

WA2TGE Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Great tool used correctly!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using this program for over a year now. I am good decoding to 20 - 22 wpm when the code is sent well. When the code is lousy or too fast MRP saves me a lot of time. I have compared the decoding function to CW Skimmer running both MRP and CW Skimmer simultaneously and MRP decoded more character correctly than CW Skimmer in my test. Sending is a a favorite part for me in that it makes my RA hands sound great. The keyboard gives me no difficulty at all where the SK, paddles and bugs make it very difficult to continue sending good CW after a few minutes. MRP functions either as immediate-keying or in type-ahead mode (pressing a send key when ready to transmit.) Macro capability make it suitable for contesting. It also offers a primitive loging function that saves time also. The learning curve is not steep but it will take a while to learn how to use the software with your radios. Keeping the RF gain backed off is critical to good decoding. I think it well worth the money. I think the support is great.
N4SRQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2012 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Good if you have poor CW skills  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works for me. It has been a great program to help me in the CW environment. Until I become more proficient in my own copying skills I will depend on this program to make up for my shortcomings. As a frequent computer upgrader, my email requests for a new unlock key have always been provided within 24 hours. Yes, it is expensive but it can help the CW weary in building their skills. Hopefully when I retire I can dedicate the time to to getting off of this nice program.
N5EP Rating: 3/5 Sep 15, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
A bit pricey, unacceptable licensing scheme  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried the 30-day free trial and found that the software does a pretty good job of decoding CW signals in a variety of HF band conditions. It certainly does a better decoding job than Fldigi.

(Incidentally, over the course of the 30-day trial period, the software imposes a gradually-increasing delay in how long it takes for the software to load and then be available for use. Toward the end of the trial I had to wait three minutes after double-clicking on its start-up icon! This feature won't affect those who purchase the software, but I found that it only served as an annoyance that hindered my purpose of evaluating the software. What was the point of doing that?)

I was mainly interested MRP40 for use with some DX operators who are real speed demons, so I wasn't planning on using it on a regular basis as a substitute for increasing my own copying ability (currently about 15-17 wpm). So I found the price (currently 49.9 Euros, which is about $79 U.S.) to be more than it was worth for me personally.

The real negative for me is the way it is licensed. From what I've read in other reviews, any time you need to reinstall it, or if you upgrade or reconfigure your PC (e.g., get a new PC, or replace the hard drive or other important part in your existing PC) you have to email the software author to get a new software key). I find that unacceptable since there is no guarantee that the author will be around forever. One should be able to uninstall the software and install it on a new PC without having to check with the mother ship!

For those two reasons, I decided not to make the purchase. Nevertheless, others might not care about those factors, and it is a good Morse decoder. I did not attempt to use it to send CW, since I'm not interested in doing that.
DG8FBV Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2010 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent CW Decoder  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had tried it now many month and compared it with the "competitors". For me it is the best cw decoder for weak cw signals in a bunch of noise and QSB. And this is essential. Strong and stable cw signal are no problem for all programms.

I use it daily and therefore I am willing to pay for it. It is not cheap......but it is worth its price.
The support from the programmer is very good. I didnīt wait longer than one day or shorter for a response.

I use it only for decoding. For sending I use CWTYPE. I find it more comportable and user friendly for sending but this is, as always, a matter of taste.

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 3/5 Aug 9, 2010 03:37 Send this review to a friend
Over-rated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having tried this program and compared it to many other decoders, I can say it is better than most, but not cwdecoder, a freeware application.
Although cwdecoder is an old and inelegant application, it still has a great cw decoder.
MRP40 works about the same as cwdecoder, but the ridiculous paranoid licensing scheme and the outrageous price makes this program dead in the water for me.
Cwget is not a good comparison program as it is hopeless trying to decode weak rapidly fading signals in any case, another overblown program.
If you want to spend money on a cw program, put it on cwskimmer, it has a great decoder and gives you a lot more utility.
If you put your qso in the decoding area of cwskimmer it will decode the entire text as well.
So in summary, too expensive, ridiculous hardware based licensing scheme.
Just move on - nothing to see here.

AC4AV Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Best CW Decoder on the planet!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many others, I had tried them all. Hands down, MRP40 is the best. This is particularly true with very weak signals and/or a lot of noise. Even after a year of using Norm's software, I'm astonished at how well it works. Test MRP40 against others with several audio files and in real-time on all bands, including satellite ops. Please do not let cost prevent you from purchasing this product. It is WELL worth it. Norm is very quick to respond if you need to transfer a key to another computer. Never needed any other support, because it works so well.