Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | MRP40 Morse Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for MRP40 Morse Decoder
MRP40 Morse Decoder Reviews: 37 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $49.90 Euro
Description: Morse code send receive program, runs under Windows.
More info: http://www.polar-electric.com/Morse/MRP40-EN/

You can write your own review of the MRP40 Morse Decoder.

WA2TGE Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2012 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Great tool used correctly!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using this program for over a year now. I am good decoding to 20 - 22 wpm when the code is sent well. When the code is lousy or too fast MRP saves me a lot of time. I have compared the decoding function to CW Skimmer running both MRP and CW Skimmer simultaneously and MRP decoded more character correctly than CW Skimmer in my test. Sending is a a favorite part for me in that it makes my RA hands sound great. The keyboard gives me no difficulty at all where the SK, paddles and bugs make it very difficult to continue sending good CW after a few minutes. MRP functions either as immediate-keying or in type-ahead mode (pressing a send key when ready to transmit.) Macro capability make it suitable for contesting. It also offers a primitive loging function that saves time also. The learning curve is not steep but it will take a while to learn how to use the software with your radios. Keeping the RF gain backed off is critical to good decoding. I think it well worth the money. I think the support is great.

N4SRQ Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2012 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Good if you have poor CW skills  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works for me. It has been a great program to help me in the CW environment. Until I become more proficient in my own copying skills I will depend on this program to make up for my shortcomings. As a frequent computer upgrader, my email requests for a new unlock key have always been provided within 24 hours. Yes, it is expensive but it can help the CW weary in building their skills. Hopefully when I retire I can dedicate the time to to getting off of this nice program.

N5EP Rating: 3/5 Sep 15, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
A bit pricey, unacceptable licensing scheme  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried the 30-day free trial and found that the software does a pretty good job of decoding CW signals in a variety of HF band conditions. It certainly does a better decoding job than Fldigi.

(Incidentally, over the course of the 30-day trial period, the software imposes a gradually-increasing delay in how long it takes for the software to load and then be available for use. Toward the end of the trial I had to wait three minutes after double-clicking on its start-up icon! This feature won't affect those who purchase the software, but I found that it only served as an annoyance that hindered my purpose of evaluating the software. What was the point of doing that?)

I was mainly interested MRP40 for use with some DX operators who are real speed demons, so I wasn't planning on using it on a regular basis as a substitute for increasing my own copying ability (currently about 15-17 wpm). So I found the price (currently 49.9 Euros, which is about $79 U.S.) to be more than it was worth for me personally.

The real negative for me is the way it is licensed. From what I've read in other reviews, any time you need to reinstall it, or if you upgrade or reconfigure your PC (e.g., get a new PC, or replace the hard drive or other important part in your existing PC) you have to email the software author to get a new software key). I find that unacceptable since there is no guarantee that the author will be around forever. One should be able to uninstall the software and install it on a new PC without having to check with the mother ship!

For those two reasons, I decided not to make the purchase. Nevertheless, others might not care about those factors, and it is a good Morse decoder. I did not attempt to use it to send CW, since I'm not interested in doing that.

M0WDE Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2011 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Best CW Decoding Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having tried the rest, for me this program definitely came out on top. It was the only software I could find that actually worked and made sense in decoding real QSOs on air, particularly under poor conditions. It is also very useful as a test program to perfect your own sending too, particularly if, like me, you are learning to improve your CW abilities on your own.

Some say they consider the program is expensive, but with this software I found I got exactly what I wanted, so for me the cost was not excessive at all, and the program was well worth the money.

Admittedly, the best decoder you can get will be you yourself, but this software certainly helps things along when needed. In addition, support from Norbert is first class. I would highly recommend this program.

DG8FBV Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2010 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent CW Decoder  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had tried it now many month and compared it with the "competitors". For me it is the best cw decoder for weak cw signals in a bunch of noise and QSB. And this is essential. Strong and stable cw signal are no problem for all programms.

I use it daily and therefore I am willing to pay for it. It is not cheap......but it is worth its price.
The support from the programmer is very good. I didnīt wait longer than one day or shorter for a response.

I use it only for decoding. For sending I use CWTYPE. I find it more comportable and user friendly for sending but this is, as always, a matter of taste.

73!
Thomas
DG8FBV

STAYVERTICAL Rating: 3/5 Aug 9, 2010 03:37 Send this review to a friend
Over-rated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having tried this program and compared it to many other decoders, I can say it is better than most, but not cwdecoder, a freeware application.
Although cwdecoder is an old and inelegant application, it still has a great cw decoder.
MRP40 works about the same as cwdecoder, but the ridiculous paranoid licensing scheme and the outrageous price makes this program dead in the water for me.
Cwget is not a good comparison program as it is hopeless trying to decode weak rapidly fading signals in any case, another overblown program.
If you want to spend money on a cw program, put it on cwskimmer, it has a great decoder and gives you a lot more utility.
If you put your qso in the decoding area of cwskimmer it will decode the entire text as well.
So in summary, too expensive, ridiculous hardware based licensing scheme.
Just move on - nothing to see here.

AC4AV Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2010 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Best CW Decoder on the planet!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many others, I had tried them all. Hands down, MRP40 is the best. This is particularly true with very weak signals and/or a lot of noise. Even after a year of using Norm's software, I'm astonished at how well it works. Test MRP40 against others with several audio files and in real-time on all bands, including satellite ops. Please do not let cost prevent you from purchasing this product. It is WELL worth it. Norm is very quick to respond if you need to transfer a key to another computer. Never needed any other support, because it works so well.

W5GW Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2009 13:39 Send this review to a friend
A very good CW decoder  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a good CW decoder as I typically copy just in my head, but like to get a 'fill' every now and then. CWGet does okay, but at times falls short on weak signals. MRP40 is much better in my opinion, especially on weak signals. The key to using almost any CW decoder is to disable AGC in your rig, if at all possible, and this program is no exception. Set audio level to a normal range and then use RF control to establish a good level of signal detection threshold. The included oscilloscope display provided helps some in performing this adjustment, but one can usually do it by listening to the volume of received CW audio levels. What I would like to see is an easier way to load multiple instances of the S/W, but the author was gracious to provide me a second key. I'd probably use it for sending if it had a WinKey interface like MixW does. SO for now, I use MixW as a typing buffer and this program to receive with - hey, it gives me an excuse to get dual monitors!

IM0QMA Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2008 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Try it. Great software !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very nice software.It helps me a lot for DX and contesting is I'm not very able to decode CW at high speed and also is useful to test if your decoding is correct or not. Try it and you'll buy.
When I nedded help for a new installation Norbert answered me in one hour !Great ! 49,90 € spent very well.

KZ3DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2008 20:35 Send this review to a friend
The Best CW Decoding Software You Can Get  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have tried every CW decoding / keyboard CW program I can find. I did about 6 months worth of research. There is nothing that even comes close to MRP40. It is a military communications quality program. You can download it and use it free for 30 days. I can't say enough good things about this product.