Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | AT-AUTO Help

Reviews Summary for AT-AUTO
AT-AUTO Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1195.
Description: Production of the legacy AT-AUTO was halted per court-enforced settlement and to facilitate product improvement and redesign.

Kessler Engineering continues to service and support the legacy AT-AUTO, and is continuing to develop and release new firmware, which is freely available from the Kessler Engineering website for use on any AT-AUTO.

Although temporarily out of production, this is still very much an active product.

The revised AT-AUTO builds upon the capabilities of the legacy AT- AUTO and will debut shortly. Please contact Kessler Engineering directly for support and information.

Thanks, Don ki6sz@sbcglobal.net

More info: http://KesslerEngineeringLLC.com

You can write your own review of the AT-AUTO.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Best one yet  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the AT AUTO from a friend who bought an HF AUTO.Has been working perfectly for over a year and matches my 160M G5RV and 80/40 fan dipole.Thought I had a problem and called Mr.Kessler.He told me how to correct it and was very friendly and helpful.Wish I had bought one years ago.Highly recommended-K4IIE

VE9GC Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Best that I've used  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was able to obtain an AT-Auto at a reasonable price. The interface cable was a bit short, so I ordered another from Kessler and it arrived in a timely fashion. I have the tuner coupled to my IC-7600 and a variety of antennas. It matches my 80-6 OCF Windom easily on all bands, tunes my 43ft vertical on the upper half of 160 on up the HF spectrum and works well with my 20 - 6 metre Hexx beam.

I've used other auto tuners and manual tuners but none did what this one does. It is a pleasure to hear it making adjustments as I QSY either up or down the same band or switch bands completely. I've never had an issue with it. The same cannot be said for another brand of high power auto tuner I once had (which wouldn't tune 160 on the vertical). My old manual ATR-30 was always my go to tuner for difficult matches, but the AT-Auto handles everything so well that I sold off the ATR-30 (which was a great manual tuner).

If you can find one, it is a good investment. Kessler Engineering is doing a fine job of keeping this alive and well.

K5JYB Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2014 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Kessler AT-Auto  Time owned: more than 12 months
Absolutely the finest auto tuner on the market. Bought the unit used (2+) years ago and other than simple lube to steppir motor racks, no problems. Tunes <1:1.5 across entire HF band on my 160m doublet fed with 600 ohm ladder line. Would only make one suggestion for those of you having any problems, don't send it to Palstar for maintenance, go directly to the source....Don Kessler. Don developed the hardware/software and knows the device better than anyone.

K1ESE Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2014 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Does It All  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two AT-Autos, one for each of my two all-band doublets. They have been a real pleasure to use.

When I QSY the radio I use software to send the frequency to each tuner and the tuner tunes to the last good setting for that frequency. That kind of control is very helpful in DX or contest setups where you change frequency and bands a lot.

The real advantage is that you donít have to put any RF on the air to get the tuner to follow the radio. And, itís not just a couple of memorized settings per band. There are plenty of memories.

There is no question these are heavy duty high power tuners. They have handled my amplifier and high SWR antennas with ease.

They are automatic enough that I donít need them on the top of the desk and can stow them away on lower shelves.

Part of the attraction is the updated firmware. There have been some significant improvements.

What makes this work for me besides the features and performance is the great support provided. Emails are answered quickly and in good detail. When you are trying to find the best way to use all the features, the staff works with you, as a partner, to help you get the most from the tuner.

If you want a tested, reliable autotuner, if you want a tuner that doesnít require you to QRM the DX or other hams when tuning, if you want to match some very tough loads, if you want a tuner that includes remote and computer control, if you want great support -- the AT-Auto will do the job.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary Auto Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found one in mint condition at Dayton 2013 for a very reasonable price. Truly the last tuner I'll ever need. Kessler Engineering's manual is perhaps the best written instruction book in all of ham radio. After setting it up for the Icom, it works each time, every time, no fuss, no problems. I use it with the great ALS-600 amplifier.

K9DTC Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2012 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner with very good support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner is great and I want to applaud Don Kessler for his support. He is a great guy. He went out of his way to explain a problem I was having using the tuner. There was no fault with the tuner just the settings in the menu needed to be changed. Very nice tuner.

VK3VG Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2012 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best antenna tuner I have owned.
After setting up the radio and input/output it's just a matter of letting the AT-AUTO do the work. Well built, simple to operate with the best product back-up I have ever seen from an amateur equipment manufacturer.
Kessler Engineering are doing something right.
This AT-AUTO is a keeper. 5++++++

K2GWK Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Auto Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this tuner for about a week now. I purchased it from a ham who no longer needed it. It was in beautiful shape when I recieved it. I wanted an auto tuner that could be controlled from my FT-950 and handle the output of my Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2Kfx. I did quite a bit of research and decided on the Palstar AT Auto. On a whim, I looked in the classifieds and there was one for sale and I purchased it about an hour later.

This tuner is no longer supported by Palstar. It is however, supported by Kessler Engineering. This is not a bad thing because Don Kessler supports the heck out of this product with new firmware updates and excellent technical support.

I wanted to control my radio from Ham Radio Deluxe, while being able to run the tuner in it's Smart Mode allowing the tuner to automatically track any QSY through the bands made from the radio. Because the radio is controlled via RS-232 by Ham Radio Deluxe and the AT Auto is controlled via RS-232 from the radio, a caveat is created. You can not simply parallel your RS-232 connections. This is where Kessler Engineering has done something really neat for AT-Auto users. They make a device they call the USI. It is a small passive pc board device that allows the computer talk to the FT-950 (or a host of other radios)and the FT-950 to talk to the AT-Auto via RS-232. It also allows you to do a firmware update of AT-Auto by setting a switch. The little device is a clever implementation of a Y cable, and a couple of switches. It is well worth the $58 price for the USI and included (3) RS-232 cables.

Operating the AT-Auto in Smart Mode is a breeze. Simply choose your frequency, send a cw or FM signal and it will tune. The tuning is saved and if you go back to the band it will recall the setting.

The motorized roller inductor and capacitor are extremely high quality. It is a well designed auto tuner that works very well. It doesn't get any better than this!

KM7DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner - essentially worry free  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an AT-AUTO for almost three years. During that time the tuner has been in almost daily use. I use it to match a HY-GAIN AV-640 vertical, a G5RV and a Force 12 C3SS; and from 100 to 1000 watts. It matches these various load quickly and effectively.
The only problem I have encountered occurred recently when the tuner continued to cycle for a longer than usual time and finally reported "NO MATCH FOUND" on a previously matched frequency and antenna. I think this may well have been a result of operator error and not a fault of the tuner.
I contacted Kessler Engineering through their website and was very surprised when Don Kessler called me, very shortly thereafter, and walked me through a 're-homing' procedure. The fix worked and I am a very happy camper, once again.
In conclusion, the tuner meets my every expectation and the customer support is absolutely first rate.

W8JXM Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2012 10:02 Send this review to a friend