Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Kessler Engineering AT-AUTO Help

Reviews Summary for Kessler Engineering AT-AUTO
Kessler Engineering AT-AUTO Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1195.
Description: Production of the legacy AT-AUTO was halted per court-enforced settlement and to facilitate product improvement and redesign.

Kessler Engineering continues to service and support the legacy AT-AUTO, and is continuing to develop and release new firmware, which is freely available from the Kessler Engineering website for use on any AT-AUTO.

Although temporarily out of production, this is still very much an active product.

The revised AT-AUTO builds upon the capabilities of the legacy AT- AUTO and will debut shortly. Please contact Kessler Engineering directly for support and information.

Thanks, Don ki6sz@sbcglobal.net

More info: http://KesslerEngineeringLLC.com

You can write your own review of the Kessler Engineering AT-AUTO.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary Auto Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found one in mint condition at Dayton 2013 for a very reasonable price. Truly the last tuner I'll ever need. Kessler Engineering's manual is perhaps the best written instruction book in all of ham radio. After setting it up for the Icom, it works each time, every time, no fuss, no problems. I use it with the great ALS-600 amplifier.

K9DTC Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2012 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner with very good support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner is great and I want to applaud Don Kessler for his support. He is a great guy. He went out of his way to explain a problem I was having using the tuner. There was no fault with the tuner just the settings in the menu needed to be changed. Very nice tuner.

VK3VG Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2012 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best antenna tuner I have owned.
After setting up the radio and input/output it's just a matter of letting the AT-AUTO do the work. Well built, simple to operate with the best product back-up I have ever seen from an amateur equipment manufacturer.
Kessler Engineering are doing something right.
This AT-AUTO is a keeper. 5++++++

K2GWK Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Auto Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this tuner for about a week now. I purchased it from a ham who no longer needed it. It was in beautiful shape when I recieved it. I wanted an auto tuner that could be controlled from my FT-950 and handle the output of my Tokyo Hy-Power HL-1.2Kfx. I did quite a bit of research and decided on the Palstar AT Auto. On a whim, I looked in the classifieds and there was one for sale and I purchased it about an hour later.

This tuner is no longer supported by Palstar. It is however, supported by Kessler Engineering. This is not a bad thing because Don Kessler supports the heck out of this product with new firmware updates and excellent technical support.

I wanted to control my radio from Ham Radio Deluxe, while being able to run the tuner in it's Smart Mode allowing the tuner to automatically track any QSY through the bands made from the radio. Because the radio is controlled via RS-232 by Ham Radio Deluxe and the AT Auto is controlled via RS-232 from the radio, a caveat is created. You can not simply parallel your RS-232 connections. This is where Kessler Engineering has done something really neat for AT-Auto users. They make a device they call the USI. It is a small passive pc board device that allows the computer talk to the FT-950 (or a host of other radios)and the FT-950 to talk to the AT-Auto via RS-232. It also allows you to do a firmware update of AT-Auto by setting a switch. The little device is a clever implementation of a Y cable, and a couple of switches. It is well worth the $58 price for the USI and included (3) RS-232 cables.

Operating the AT-Auto in Smart Mode is a breeze. Simply choose your frequency, send a cw or FM signal and it will tune. The tuning is saved and if you go back to the band it will recall the setting.

The motorized roller inductor and capacitor are extremely high quality. It is a well designed auto tuner that works very well. It doesn't get any better than this!

KM7DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2012 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner - essentially worry free  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned an AT-AUTO for almost three years. During that time the tuner has been in almost daily use. I use it to match a HY-GAIN AV-640 vertical, a G5RV and a Force 12 C3SS; and from 100 to 1000 watts. It matches these various load quickly and effectively.
The only problem I have encountered occurred recently when the tuner continued to cycle for a longer than usual time and finally reported "NO MATCH FOUND" on a previously matched frequency and antenna. I think this may well have been a result of operator error and not a fault of the tuner.
I contacted Kessler Engineering through their website and was very surprised when Don Kessler called me, very shortly thereafter, and walked me through a 're-homing' procedure. The fix worked and I am a very happy camper, once again.
In conclusion, the tuner meets my every expectation and the customer support is absolutely first rate.

W8JXM Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2012 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Customer Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
SUPER tuner es Don's great customer service.. 5+++++
Tnx so much ..... Joe

N2EAC Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Amazing and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the AT-AUTO for about 2-1/2 years. I have it C-IV interfaced with my ICOM IC-7700 going into my (gen 1) PW-1 amp. Sometimes I feel the need to drive the PW-1 with either a fully outfitted Elecraft K-3 or a Kenwood TS-870S.

When running the IC-7700 the AT-AUTO, automatically senses the frequency change and operates absolutely flawlessly. When I use the Elecraft or the Kenwood, I drop about 10 w into the AT-AUTO and it tunes it up flawlessly.

The AT-AUTO allows you to also bypass the auto tuning circuitry or manually tune the tuner (a nice feature, but not needed becuase the auto tune feature works so well).

I operate multiple wire antennas on bands ranging from 160m to 20m, from AM to SSB to PSK to CW. The AT-AUTO never complains.

If you can find one. Buy it and hold onto it. It is a keeper. It is worth every penny you will spend.

My only wish is that like the PW-1, there could be multiple radio inputs and multiple output coax connectors. In recent reading, It seems that the output coax issue is resolved.

73, from N2EAC

K2CAN Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2011 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent AutoTuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Don Kessler has done an excellent job upreving the firmware and hardware for this tuner. Don is very professional and a pleasure to do business with.
With the latest firmware I am able to tune virtually any wire I have put up on any band.
If you looking for a high quality auto tuner, this is the one. I highly recommend Kessler Engineering's products.

- Mark K2CAN

W4LSC Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2011 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Upgraded by Kessler Engineering  Time owned: more than 12 months
Puchased new S/N 02521 Firmware 1.01
Unit was purchased in anticipation of my retirement. That didn't happen for a few years but I decided to check and see what might be available for software/hardware upgrades. Sent my email to Don at Kessler Engineering and rx'd a response over the weekend. He supplied a complete list of options for my consideration. I basically took all of the options. The original release of this product did not include a bypass mechanism and I don't like operating without that capability.

The product was returned in mint condition with all options added. Have used it for roughly 90 days without any problems. Have been using it at home and in "field day" environments without a glitch.

Don kept me informed as to the progress of the mod's (less than a week to complete) and called me directly (prior to shipping) to confirm/preset the menu for the rig I was going to use it with first.

I am very pleased with the upgraded product and support provided by Kessler Engineering.

73 de W4LSC

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2011 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Cool  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the AT-Auto with a Yaesu 9000D and a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-2Kfx Amp. It tunes my 130 foot off-center-fed dipole to any frequency within the HF bands with ease. It tunes very fast to a perfect match and since I am using a no-tune solid state amplifier, I can switch bands or frequencies within a particular band quickly. I have been a ham for over 30 years and I guess I have become a bit lazy, but the thrill of tuning up the amp and the tuner manually is long gone. It is too bad that this unit is out of production. So far it works like a champ. Time will tell if it holds up.