Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-742AD Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-742AD
Kenwood TM-742AD Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $660.00
Description: Dual-Band FM Transceiver with optional 3rd band capability
More info: http://www.kenwooa_mob=open

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-742AD.

OE1TRB Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2013 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Super transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i bought a used TS-742 with 2m/70cm/23cm modules. Wonderful unit, a real 3 band machine. Absolutly unreachable and very rare to get one as no OM is willing to sell normally. Mine Looks nice , the usage is absolutly OK and easy. Also to work with 28MHz shift in 23cm is easy to add within the Memories ! great stuff.
Can recomment that unit to all OMs who look for a stable 23cm unit.
all the best and 73 de Thomas

KC9AXZ Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2012 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Very good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this at a hamfest for WAY under value. I have the 2m/1.25m/70cm mods installed. This radio is a great radio. Too bad Kenwood discontinued this radio years ago with no real replacement. I have now pullded the VHF/UHF antennas from my TS2K and use the 742 exclusively for VHF/UHF work.

KO6KL Rating: 4/5 Jul 30, 2011 15:45 Send this review to a friend
tm-742 no power up  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had the 742 ( 2m/440/6m ) for many years.
run it in the car for a few years.
it was a great radio to work mobile , great audio reports , and you could hear the radio on 3 speakers one for each band.
display on the dash board and radio in the trunk , duplxer to a 2m 5/8 wave that doubled as a 6m 1/4 wave , and also used a hygain 440 antenna.
this was back when you could hear cordless phones on 46mhz for half a mile down the road....
I left it on the shelf for 5 years and next time i used it I found that
it would shut off on it's own when receiving ...
so i sent it in for repair and battery replacement. ( $179 )
less then a year has passed and today I hooked it
up and it will not power up again.... ARRRGGG
I really like my kenwood's the ts-690 is great for digital HF but im leaning towards a Icom or yesae for next time.

the 742 did get some intermod , but the squelch modes help get it under control... thank god the pager signals have gone away on vhf/uhf...

one more funny thing , i found that when i was
talking on uhf it would set off car alarms on other drivers cars .. even when they were driving...

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2010 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Still love mine too!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently discovered that my 742AD wouldn't retain anything in memory after turning it off for a while. Time for a new internal battery. I ordered one from Kenwood parts and when it arrived I installed it. The replacement of this battery is not for the timid! You basically have to take the radio completely apart to get to the circuit board with the battery on it. Once replaced, everything was back to normal. I still love having the three bands I use (2M, 220 and 440) all in one rig. Other than replacing the internal battery, the rig has been problem free for over ten years.

W8FLC Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2009 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Still LOVE this radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 742A in March of 1995 from R&L. Of course it only came with the 144MHz and 440MHz module's. I also bought the UT 220MHz module at the time. I used the cross band feature a lot when I first bought the unit. I also liked being able to listen to and scan the other bands at the same time.

I only had one problem with it. In November, 1999, 2m would only go up to 144.999MHz and would just stop there. R&L sent it back to Kenwood for me and R&L called me about 3 weeks later and I picked it up. They also put a new memory back-up battery in. No problems since then.

This past April I sent it up to Dave Gravel N2EE in NJ. to install a battery holder for the memory back-up battery. Good idea so if the battery does fail it will not leak on the circuit board and it's a lot easier to change.

I have never had any wattage problems with it. I never used more watts than I have to anyway. It was the only radio I had for several years as a Tech, so it went from the house to the car many many times. Still looks like new.

I wouldn't sell this radio as it's like a part of me. I still like the looks of it. Just like my old 270 57 Chevy Belair that I wish I still had. In other words, I still LOVE this old radio.

W8FLC(FRED)

W6DTW Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2007 01:04 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, couple of flaws to be aware of..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first 742 from a guy in Southern California, and it's a good radio. I love the tri-band capability, wish to God that Kenwood sees the light and starts making something like this again. My rig does have the 146.520 birdie, but this is (from what I've learned, and confirmed by the Kenwood repair depot) a side-effect of the MARS/CAP expanded range mod.

There have been a few eHam reviews talking about avoiding the high-power mode in 2m, and I can attest that this is true. The problem is caused by an assembly process oversight on the part of Kenwood. It can be resolved by the judicious application of thermal paste; the same type you'd use to install a CPU on a motherboard. A full explanation of the problem and the process for resolution can be found on my blog at:

David W6DTW

K1GMG Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2005 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Lots of features, looks great, not too reliable for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio since 1994 and I am pleased with it's operation and features, including crossband repeat. It works well in areas prone to intermod. The users manual has clear instructions and the display is nice and bright. But it's been in the Kenwood shop four times over the years for repairs of different problems.

N4RAP Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2005 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these. These are great radios, but the only drawback in my opinion is that it will NOT do dual in-band receive. That is that you can't put both on 400 or can't put both on 2 meters like some of the tiny newer radios. This was a Kenwood mistake. It does have good intermod protection and is easy to use and easy to modify. Lots of guys in the Houston, Texas area put 2(TWO) UHF band modules in and a mobile duplexer in the trunk, like a Phelps-Dodge or Cellwave...and run "full Duplex" on the repeaters. It's pretty cool. Can't be done with any other radio except and Icom 901.

WY3X Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2005 14:13 Send this review to a friend
One great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine at a hamfest for a song- all the light bulbs in the front were burnt out. About $13 and an hour with a soldering iron later, the rig was 100%. I've accrued all the optional band modules, and had an opportunity to purchase a third-party device for it, an RCS RC-740X band module box. It would have been sweet, but the guy who sold it to me (from Mexico) neglected to inform me that the control panel was missing, so it's been sitting in the box unused for about 2 years! I hope he reads this and feels bad! The guy who used to own RCS resides in Big Bear Lake, California. I spent about three months trying to find him, then when I got him on the phone, he was much less than helpful. An attitude problem doesn't come close to describing his demeanor! I think someone peed in his cheerios the day I called him. Anyhow, after two years, today a fellow ham (who has one for sale on eBay right now) has helped me out with some wonderful digital photos and a schematic for the control panel. After I get a circuit board etched and populated I will have all band modules active! Only one other radio comes close- the Icom IC-900/901 series. I guess I've been lucky about the buzz on 146.52. I give this baby 5 out of 5 stars!

-KR4WM

P.S. If anyone has an original RCS factory control pad for the RC-740X, I'd like to buy it from you!

YEPSURE Rating: 4/5 Dec 23, 2004 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Birdie on 146.520 MHz  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is an older version of the 742A family, and does have the birdie on 146.520 MHz. I monitor 146.520 daily and this is definitely a problem. Not sure if Kenwood fixed this problem on later units but mine definitely has the birdie.

All in all I love this radio because of it's ability to listen to all 3 bands at the same time, but scanning is very slow on this model, which was commonplace for amateur radio's of this era.

The display is excellent and does not suffer from "washout" the way some LCD's do. Of course, the 742 does not have alpha-numeric capabilities, but given everything else it does it's still a fine radio.

Each band has 100 memories, which was a lot given the time-period this radio was made. PL decode is optional and can be pricey depending on where you can find modules, and extra band modules run around $330 I believe. The 10-meter module is no longer made but can be found on eBay at times, but their expensive for an FM-only module.

Being an older version, my 742 has full 800 MHz reception. I had to add the short RG-58 pigtail and solder it to the 800 MHz antenna slot on the UHF RF deck (or module as previously refered to).

Given the age of this radio it was ahead of the game back in it's day. Given the cost of the radio, the third band module, and any optional accessories such as the CTCSS module and display separation kit, you could spend $1,100 or more on this thing! It's no wonder Kenwood phased the 742 out of production. Unless they lowered it's price along with the band module pricing, I'm sure sales had fallen off significantly over recent years.

With other models such as the Yaesu FT-8900R, it would be hard for the 742 to compete when there are so many choices today (and cheaper choices at that). I believe the 742 is a better radio than the Yaesu FT-8900R but the fact remains that currently made mobile radio's are a lot less expensive than they used to be, and many people are more apt to buy a radio that does almost everything an older radio will (i.e. TM-742A and the FT-8900R).

I recall when the Standard 5900 tri-band mobile came out. I wanted one of those so bad I could taste it! But it was ungodly expensive, and only displayed two bands at a time. Given the ONLY two choices at the time, I would have quickly chosen the Kenwood 742. But those were the ONLY choices at the time, and before the Standard 5900 the Kenwood 742 was the ONLY choice we had!

I no longer own my 742 because I decided to buy the Yaesu FT-8900R instead. I miss my 742 but the birdie on 146.520 was really annoying, as I LIVE on the 2-meter calling frequency. I'd love to have a 742 though to supplement what I already have, and I'll probably pick up another one sooner or later because I still really love that model!