Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | David Clark H10-76 Help

Reviews Summary for David Clark H10-76
David Clark H10-76 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $275.00
Description: Aviation headset/mic
More info: http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/h10-76.htm

You can write your own review of the David Clark H10-76.

WD9CMD Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2011 07:50 Send this review to a friend
A fine headset  Time owned: months
The H10-76 was designed for ground support radios. The stock microphone is dynamic, and is 5 ohms nominal impedance. Thats too low for most ham radio applications. Replaced with an acousticom M77 at 1000 ohms which is an electret is much better. Therefore it requires a phantom voltage on the mic + line to work. Most newer rigs offer this voltage. Once the new mic is plugged in, and you adapt the helicopter plug to ham radio, you are in business. DC offers schematics to help you do the conversion. The headphones are lower impedance than the aircraft version of these, and at a nominal 10 ohms, is perfect for most radios versus the 150 ohms of the H10-13.4. I have found the 150 ohm version to work well also, but a small volume increase is needed on the rig.
If you have one, just send an email to me and I can provide the wiring. Its really easy if you email DC for the schematic as well.

The only reason its not a 5 is the clamping force on your head. If its too much, just order replacement headbands from DC, as the newer ones are easier on the head.
Good luck,
David
Wd9cmd

KI6QYJ Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2009 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Top quality product designed for rugged military use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
These are great 'phones, well above and beyond any civilian standard I have seen. With just a little bit of modding they can be a great headset to use in a very noisy environment, with an HT, a mobile rig, or even a base rig if need be. And they are usually plentiful on eBay, as military surplus or personal sets being sold by retirees from the military -- sometimes they can be had for a song!

First thing to note is that these are designed for the military, and there are some impedance mismatches to worry about. The mic element is an M-87/AIC, which is a 5 ohm dynamic mic. I suppose you could put together an op amp circuit to match the mic and deliver reasonable voltage to your radio, as long as the power lead from the radio can carry enough juice...

A less stressful answer is to pick up a 1k-2k ohm electret mic. I got one new from Acousticom for about $30. When driven with anything between about 2 and 12V DC, you're in business.

The headphones are a nominal 10 ohms (two 19 ohm drivers wired in parallel), and can be driven just fine by just about any piece of commercial ham gear ever made. ;)

In my own case, I was adapting for use with my Kenwood TH-F6A in particular. I wired the headset's coiled cord to a 1/8" TRS plug and built a simple little interface box with all the control buttons from an SM-34 mic on it; headset plugs in in one spot, speaker and mic connections connect to the radio from the box. Simple wiring inside, and everything comes apart into neat pieces. Now I have a box on a belt clip with my important radio commands programmed into the buttons, along with amazing noise canceling in the mic element from Acousticom (I recorded myself on 2m with the mic 8 inches from the tip of the exhaust system on an idling sportbike with almost no muffler packing, and at the receiver the exhaust sounded like very distant grating with my voice coming through clear at least 15-20 db ABOVE the noise level). The David Clark ear seals and noise absorbing domes drop ambient noise levels on your end as well, meaning you have a much better chance of hearing what needs to be communicated. This set makes comms easy, no matter the noise conditions!

Next step will be a short cable set to interface with my Ten-Tec Orion, and the YL was so impressed with the setup than she is shopping for another military headset for us to convert, so she can use it on her VX-170.

When the earpads are warratied for SEVEN YEARS, you know this company does not mess around in making quality products. :)

KC0ILV Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2005 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was lucky to find one of these on ebay with a high impedence mic (Ham gear uses low impedence headphones, high impedence mics)

The headphones are very comfortable to wear (I hate ones that press on your ears, these cup around your ears), and although they are tight at first, they can be loosened by pulling out on the headband.

Once I worked around the connector (U-174/U, I just lopped it off and stuck my own connector on it), they fit and work like a charm.