Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-600 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-600
Yaesu FT-600 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1885.00
Description: MIL-SPEC HF TRANCEIVER W/ALPHA-NUMERIC READOUT
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/ft600.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-600.

KC0PET Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2007 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Solid, No Frills Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I feel compelled to give a review since I use this site frequently as a resource.

We have purchased 10 of these units to use for "General Coverage" on both amateur use and other venues for emergency communications purposes. They are well built and simple to operate. The performance on SSB operation is decent on both RX and TX. The general coverage option eliminates the band up-down switches for amateur option making band changes somewhat awkward. However, once you get used to using the keypad, it is not bad. This radio also works with Ham Radio Deluxe and I highly recommend that if it fits your situation.

I do not recommend it as a true ham "mobile" radio, it is too large, no remote head and a little klunky to operate for that purpose.

The reciever tends to be noisy, but to be fair, it is a wide open radio built to be flexible. We added outboard DSP units and that helps.

It interfaces fairly easily to TNC and Sound Card Interface devices.

A few minor complaints:

No built in iambic keyer - seems like this could have been easily added to a modern microprocessor controlled radio.

It is diffucult to switch between USB and LSB in digital operation (AFSK).

The squelch control is useless. IMHO, squelch has no application on anything other than FM and this radio does not have an FM Mode. We have a number of users on these radios and inexperienced users tend to turn up the squelch to "get rid of the noise" and then wonder why they can't hear anything on Side Band.

K9CTB Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2006 02:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice general purpose transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, the FT-600 does what Yaesu said it would do. IMHO, Yaesu tried to build a great little low-cost rig that could be easily adapted for service on the amateur radio, Land Mobile (HF) or marine frequencies. All that's required is a press-in plastic key with contact fingers set up for the service you wish to use. The "dot" key is a general coverage transceiver with keypad entry of frequency, 100 memories and a VFO (only ONE VFO). The "LMR" key allows the user to dial through 100 memories (25 in each of 4 banks). This is for pre-programming a fleet of units, and this mode removes the VFO capability. The only other frequency control for the operator while in this mode is the clarifier. The "Marine" key when installed sets the rig up with the ITU-maritime frequencies preset in memory (you can disable the ITU frequency list with an internal jumper). It also enables the "2182 alarm" function - This is the two-tone "wee-doo" alarm required aboard vessels that carry marine HF radio. It also allows the rig to sound it's own alarm when it hears a distress siganl on 2182 so you can respond. The alarm volume is set by potentiometer on the rear panel.

My personal use of the FT-600 has been pleasant. I have set up various MARS frequencies in memory - using the "dot" key - as well as a few amateur net channels. I found the FT-600 to be an excellent mobile rig for MARS and amateur traffic nets alike. I run the rig through an LDG AT-100Pro to a ball-mounted 12 foot vertical. Not the best antenna set-up I know, but yet the FT-600 shines while using it.

There aren't a whole bunch of these rigs around, I have noticed, which I'll take as a good sign. If you see one for sale, and it's in good shape (they're built pretty well), it's worth about $400.00 or so max. I'd recommend slapping the AM filter in it for SWLing or listening to those great audio signals on 75 or 160 AM. You will have to find a mobile mount. I am told they are still available, but at the time of this writing, I'm not sure where. Although there's a slot for a CW filter, I'd recommend passing the FT-600 up as a CW rig. This is pretty much an "appliance-style", phone op's radio. I believe that Yaesu set out to provide a good, general purpose, easy-to-operate HF radio at a good price. To me, it looks like they succeeded.

KF9BP Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2002 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Good no frills rig.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Once you get past the detented tuning knob, this rig is a good performer. The selectable tuning rates of 10, 100 & 1000 khz. plus the keyboard frequency entry give it good QSY capability. The audio quality is OK through the built-in front speaker, better through a bigger external speaker. Don't buy this rig if you like lots of bells & whistles. No VOX, RF gain, attenuator, IF shift, and only one VFO. Shares filters with the FT-840 and I suspect it shares other characteristics as well. Well written manual. AM filter is required for broadcast/shortwave listening, or you will have to listen through the SSB filter. I wouldn't pay $995 for this rig new, but for about 500 bucks used, it's a good value.

K0PD Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2002 16:42 Send this review to a friend
great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this off of e-bay and it was the commercial version.With a little bit of work jumping two pin's together it is now a gen'l coverage radio.This is one rugged built radio with a great recieve and alpha numeric read out.The front firing speaker has a great sound with no need for a external speaker.Only thing i lack is a operator's manual so i can use all the function's as i have not figured them out.I can only say is buy one you'll not be dissapointed.

AC5CH Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2000 04:54 Send this review to a friend
BUILT LIKE A TANK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the "land mobile" version of this unit last week, and installed an optional key that allows me to use it on the amateur hf bands. I can't find anything that I don't like about this rig! It is easy to use, has a VERY loud (and clear) speaker and a fantastic receiver! It even has alpha-numeric readout! As my unit is identical to the FT-600 (except that mine has the "General Coverage" instead of the "Amateur" key), I am certain that anyone buying the "amateur version" will be very happy with it! As a final note, they (or at least my version) come with a 3 year waranty from Yaesu! Give this fine unit a try if you want a really nice, tough rig; you'll be happy you did!