Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Tonna F9FT 20505 6m 5-element yagi type antena Help

Reviews Summary for Tonna F9FT 20505 6m 5-element yagi type antena
Tonna F9FT 20505 6m 5-element yagi type antena Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $150
Description: 6m 5-element yagi type antena

You can write your own review of the Tonna F9FT 20505 6m 5-element yagi type antena.

G4TRA Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2010 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is now 25 years old and has been through quite a lot. It's been dropped and the various elements broken and bent, but it still performs OK. Don't expect it to last if you don't varnish the whole antenna before erection. I also use liberal amounts of silicon sealant around the rather rudimentary junction box and have had to rebuild the feeds to the driven element too.
I also use a lightweight nylon support tie to keep the antenna level. You can see this on my QRZ.com page quite clearly and I recommend this fix to stop droop! Itís a good all rounder for the magic band and very good value for money. See my reports on other Tonna VHF/UHF antennas.

G0LMV Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2010 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to build and a good 1.2:1 SWR at 50.150 but if you want to use it above 50.600 you will need to get the hacksaw out. Good gain, good enough build quality (If you want M2 or cushcraft build you need to pay a LOT more) light weight and easy/quick to take apart to go portable.
Very good value for money and the only thing that I would say against it is I needed to add new bolts and wing nuts to the boom so I can take it out portable for the UKAC contests.

G0VUH Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2009 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this antenna and it works fantastic! Using 100w from the FT2000 had my first USA contact 599! I seem to send out a big signal and only get back lower signal than the rx station gives, dont know wether thats the radio or the antenna, but very happy.

M1PAH Rating: 1/5 Jul 25, 2007 04:35 Send this review to a friend
I must have a really bad one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just been bought a tonna 6m 5 ele beam. I have tried to put it up but there is a problem. When tuning it I couldn't get it to tune lower than 52.8ish MHz. Now correct me if this is wrong but I find this as usefull as a chocolate fire guard.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or is just a bad beam? I have Peter Waters from Waters and Stanton looking into it but any help would be greatfull

My original beam was from Moonraker and I found this to be an exelent piece of kit. It is a shame that the same person who bought me the tonna left it on his front drive for some TGB to take a liking to.

M0AOI Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2007 16:57 Send this review to a friend
value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
right.....i have read a few postings on this antenna, id like to make some remarks about it, i myself think this antenna could be built by a 3 year old, it comes with instructions and measurements of the elements ect.....nothing hard there..
another point, if you want a 1/8 or 1/4 inch gauge aluminium beam with heavy gauge elements then youll have to go out and buy all the materials to do it, buy the boom hardware, and then build it yourself.....
are we radio hams or what, if you think you can build better then i think you should go out and see if it costs you less than £90.00....in my opinion i think not...
this is the second one i have had and im not complaining of the quality or the price......its a good all rounder and does axactly as it should do, great for portable work, easily broken down into smaller peices and lightweight.
i think people expect too much for little money these days...

G8ERT Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2006 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Effective 6m fun.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had some good DX with this.

The construction is not as good as other Tonnas that I've used but it is certainly lightweight and ideal for portable use.

Other reviews suggest there is no adjustment for tuning, but mine had an adjustable beta match which was clearly described in the manual.
The beta works modestly well, but if you check on the net there are several descriptions of replacing it with a hairpin match, which does improve things somewhat.

I was tempted to rate it 4 due to the lightweight construction but decided against because it has given me good service in portable use where it has been put together and disassembled many times and bashed around in the back of cars and vans. And also because it withstood the ravages of North Sea gales through two winters on a mast on the east coast of England, all without damage, so maybe appearances are deceptive in this case.

M1MBZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2006 13:45 Send this review to a friend
good, could be better for portable use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used an HB9CV until recently, the upgrade to the 5 element tonna proved to be a good one. A simple antenna to put together, no messing around tuning it before use, 1:1 swr right from the start, significant increase in RX and TX gain. I have been using this antenna portable, the only thing that could make this antenna better for portable use is to make the impedance matching link out of spring clips rather than bolt on, the less nuts and bolts to fit the better when portable.

Good value for money, you can have more than two of these antennas for the price of one from other manufacturers.

HB9PJT Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2006 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Very fine antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I made very good experiences with tonna antennas. Work well and are reliable. They come woth a manual and you find there the infos needed for assembilng. SWR courves and other infos you find at the Tonna antenna home page: www.f9ft.com

73, Peter - HB9PJT

GW3NJW Rating: 2/5 Jun 25, 2006 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As reported elsewhere, the build quality is poor, but I could just about live with that.

In my case the colour coded boom end plugs, had either not been inserted or had fallen out in transit( latter seems unlikely?)There were no details of element spacing provided, which made assembly unecessarily difficult.

The matching system, which has no adjustment available, results in minimum SWR at about 50.5Mhz, which is quite unaceptable. No VSWR curves are provided. The company has no web site, and is quite impossible to contact.

My old grandfather used to say " buy cheap buy twice" GBP90 cheap?.

There just has to be a better antenna. Pity that Optibeam are not making one :-(((

GW3NJW

N5XYO Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2005 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Still working....after all these years?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perhaps I got a "good one" but I've had a 5 el. F9FT 6 meter yagi up at 100 ft. for over 15 years and it still works/checks out fine. This is on my #2 tower so it kinda gets forgotten until sporadic E season but it seems to work as good as it always did.
I must say that it's construction is a "bit different". No matter what I may think about that, it still performs well, all elements are intact (I don't want to mention a few other brands which shed elements like pine needles!!), and has given me no reason to go up and replace it.
I don't think I can ask more than that!!
(I might add that it would make the ideal rover antenna as you can install or remove the elements in < 5 minutes.) Too bad they are no longer available in the states.