Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Jetstream JTB2 2M/440 Base Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JTB2 2M/440 Base Vertical
Jetstream JTB2  2M/440 Base Vertical Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $55
Description: Fiberglass radome, covers 144-148Mhz/440-450Mhz, height 100", gain 6 db on 2M/8 db on 440, handles 200W, 90MPH wind rating
More info: http://www.jetstream-usa.com

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JTB2 2M/440 Base Vertical.

WD8ITZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 05:19 Send this review to a friend
addition to my previous review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I originally gave this antenna a rating of 2 because of terrible performance and SWR on 440. As I mentioned I was going to do in my previous review, I went back and reconnected all connections, both in the antenna itself and coaxial connections: radio to SWR bridge to MFJ cable pass-through panel for windows, to the antenna itself. I removed a 90 degree elbow on the outside of the MFJ pass-through panel. Subsequent checks on both bands have shown very low SWR. The antenna is now performing as expected.

KE5VIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2011 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Best dual band base antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had it up for three years, It's hanging from a pine tree 60' up. Mine is painted olive drab green for the HOA. Cheap enough to get a spare.

KE7KUS Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2011 09:10 Send this review to a friend
One of the best buys for the $$$  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Owned and operated for almost a year now. Best $60 I ever spent on an antenna. Super performance and has taken a beating under some 40+ mph wind storms with no problems at all. Like others, I did some additional weather-proofing on this antenna during assembly, including silicone sealant on all joints. To date, no problems whatsoever with water incursion; however, I do live in AZ, where water incursion is not known to be a terrible problem.

Prior to owning this, I owned a Workman UVS-200. This antenna is made from noticeably higher quality materials. I'd buy another JTB2 in a heartbeat.

VA2OOK Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2010 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for 60$  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Almost one year on the tower and working fine.
Flat SWR on 2m; on 70cm from 1.7 @ 430MHz to 1.2 @ 449MHz (not amazing but good enough for me).
I took one extra step and I weatherproofed ALL joints, including the metal tip. I used a rubber coating solution, something similar to PlastiDip, Liquid Tape. Went through 3-4 heavy thunderstorms without any water infiltration or wind damage.
I'd give it a 4.5 ...

73 from Chris

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2009 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I liked this antenna so much I got another one and put it up @ 40 feet on the tower I can hit repeaters 60 miles away,now of course I don't know how tall the repeater tower is,but the jtb2 is doing a super job for me.The swr is flat at 145 mhz and 146 mhz @ 50 watts.And for those that care the swr is 1.5 on 462 mhz of course on a Icom Ic-f221 @ 20 watts.

RFSOAKED Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2008 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Bang for the Buck!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought mine from R&L for $59.95, the comparable Diamond X200A runs roughly $140! $80 in savings was worth the try. I already own a JTB3 so i figured i would give the 2 a shot. Although i haven't had it long i wanted to review it, i also have their JTB3 model and that one has been in the air for more than two years now.

They changed the model name slightly, its now a JTB2B, i assume the trailing B is its revision, though i could not see what they changed externally. One of the previous reviews mentioned the internal connections being crimped, on mine they are soldered, so perhaps that was the manufacturing change?? I took it apart to verify the previous post just in case, easier to fix now before it goes up the tower, but mine is in fine shape.

Though the Jetstream website says its a one piece its actually a two piece, just like the Diamond X200A. I also have a similar knockoff on my other tower, its a Workman UVS-200, same construction and specs, but since it costs about the same now as the Jetstream i would go with the JTB2B. Not that i had major problems with the UVS-200 but its parts are slightly less in the quality department. Some differences, the mounting tube is thinner wall, the fit and finish of the parts isn't exactly up to the par of the Jetstream.

Both Diamond and Workman need to take a clue from Jetstream here. First of all, Jetstream has a NICE SOLID fit from the antenna base to the mounting tube, when you tighten the bolt it doesn't wobble or slop around. I think this is due to the slightly thicker walled aluminum tube they use. The Workman and Diamond models i have had to cut slots on the top end of the tube and put a hose clamp around it to keep it solid. Not a big deal but seems like a simple fix to use a better fitting piece of tubing.

The Jetstream also seems to be slightly thicker fiberglass compared to the other two brands, side by side its not that big of a difference, but its there. The O-Ring seal at the middle joint seems to be better overall also. Hint: If you buy a Diamond or Workman go down to your hardware store and buy a thicker O-Ring, the one they include doesn't seem to make a real good weathertight seal. Otherwise apply silicone or another method of sealing to that joint!

Another minor detail, the other brands use a radial that is threaded with a jam nut to keep it tight. The Jetstream has a stainless steel ferrule on the end of the aluminum rod. They don't include lockwashers for them though, about the only improvement i could suggest. I bought three stainless steel lockwashers of the appropriate size to add to it. Just a little extra protection, they are going to vibrate in the wind like crazy here in the midwest.

As mentioned the instructions are lacking on most of these bargain antenna's but most of us considering buying one should know better to check and recheck everything. Though we all have our days. Make sure the allen head set screw opposite the bolt that mounts the base to the mounting tube is tight, and make sure you tighten the screw well that holds the radiator together at the center joint. Also, when joining the two halves a little bit of clear silicone sealant around the top of the nut is a good safety measure against water intrusion. This is not just the Jetstream, all antenna's of this type can benefit from a bit of silicone here.

Save some money, but the Jetstream! A good durable antenna that although its average in construction it excels in the small details. Why pay more??? Unless you like the brand name sticker on the Diamond put that money towards your station accessories, coax, you name it.

KI4UGK Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2008 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Great for the Buck  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine to replace my old reliable copper j pole. I had used a DBR222 but just wasnt satisfied with its perfromance. I typically talk to friends on repeaters 60-70 miles away but always have to use high power (60 watts). Now I only use 25 watts!. For the price you can not go wrong. But be aware of the installation process...make SURE BOTH set screws are tight. The instructions do not mention this.

N1RIK Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2008 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had this antenna up for about 6 months now. For 59.99 you can't go wrong. I rather pay this for a knockoff than full price for a Diamond. SWR was very low from 430-450 MHz, flat from 440 - 443 and it never rose above 1.3:1 on 70cm. On 2m, the SWR is a bit high towards the bottom of the 2m suband and about 1.7:1 @ 144.5 MHz. The antenna construction is not quite as good as my Tram 1480 which I use for my 440 repeater, however it works just as well. That's why I give it a 4 instead of a 5. For $60 new, I highly recommend it.

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2008 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just put this antenna up on my 440 repeater at the house and it works great with no problems.The swr is 1.2 @ 440.475,and covers about 25 miles (mobile)

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2007 16:54 Send this review to a friend
No complaints!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine up for almost a year now without any issues. Like others have said, a great value for the $$.