Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | ON4MAC MacPaddle magnetic repulsion system Help

Reviews Summary for ON4MAC MacPaddle magnetic repulsion system
ON4MAC MacPaddle magnetic repulsion system Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Not known
Description: These keys are not continually available. Originally maked for himself but made some more for friends
More info: http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Diversen/Paddlekey/paddlekey.htm

You can write your own review of the ON4MAC MacPaddle magnetic repulsion system.

N3CW Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2008 03:20 Send this review to a friend
A Superb Paddle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a beautiful handcrafted paddle, showing excellent workmanship and design. Very smooth and once set will not wander. Michel does not make many of these...and as others have said, there is a long wait. But the level of detail in the paddle (such as the beveling and brushed finish) makes the wait worthwhile. I need to look into a small mirror to keep this paddle on; I think the bottom is more attractive than the top, with hex head hardware used throughout. I'd like to eventually ask Michel about his round base models; mine is the square base. A highly recommended paddle made by a very special talented ham ON4MAC.

N4XA Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 10:43 Send this review to a friend
The Magnificent MacPaddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am somewhat delayed in submitting this review, however I can now write it from the perspective of a seasoned owner having had it for over 10 months. I concur with all the other very enthusiastic owners who have submitted their reviews of the MacPaddle - it is a paddle well, well worth the wait. I believe I was on the waiting list for about 7 or 8 months. I was just re-entering the hobby after a very long absence and this time around I really wanted a top notch paddle set. So, I did extensive internet browsing and reading of reviews. After a lot of reviewing of the commercial paddles and many of the really fine craftsman built paddles I decided on the MacPaddle. When my turn was up in the que, Michel contacted me and explained the options for me to choose from. I chose the smooth trapezoidal top and square natural brass base. I also chose the ebony wood finger pieces, with the aluminum finger pieces as an extra set. Michel was so kind to do all he could to get it to me for the holidays it arrived just a day before Christmas 2006.

The MacPaddle is a stunningly beautiful and precisely crafted instrument for sending Morse code. The design is superb and the machining and construction is impeccable -- even on the bottom side! I look forward now to operating CW everyday -- it is just a joy to work this finely crafted paddle. Mine weighs in at 3 lbs. 14 oz. and this mass combined with the incredibly delicate precise keying action enabled by the magnetic repulsion system and precision ball bearings, provides a CW experience that any level of operator would revel in. Michel set the spacing at 0.002" (0.05 mm) that I have found to be perfect for me. This spacing has not drifted at all in the over 10 months I have been using it; it is as stable as it can be. I took it to field day and everyone who tried it were wowed by the quality and feel of the instrument and said it was hands down the best paddle they had ever had the pleasure to use.

Kudos Michel -- a magnificent job! I could not be happier with this purchase and hope you will be building your paddles for a long time. It is truly a pleasure to use and is a keeper that will last many generations. It adds such a nice touch to my shack and I smile every time I look at it. I just hope CW will be around for as long as the MacPaddle is going to last!
Larry N4XA

N2DE Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2006 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Solid Gold  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I discovered Michelís magnetic paddle more than a year ago, his keys were not widely known outside of his circle of friends in ON and PA. Ever since his keys have found many enthusiastic users around the world, and he has kept improving and refining them while maintaining the impeccable workmanship of a true master mechanic.

The original MacPaddle had a square base and aluminum finger pieces. Just in time for Christmas I received an outstanding new variant with a round base and hardwood finger pieces. It shows Michelís attention to detail that the posts for the contacts are also round on this one to match the visual shape of the base.

The basic construction with precision racing bearings, magnetic returns, a sturdy superstructure, and a very massive base remains unchanged. As a Morse key it is a truly outstanding precision instrument that will last forever, at a very affordable price. I personally prefer the graceful looks of the round base, and the finely machined brass makes it look like a solid piece of gold. The wooden finger pieces feel nice and warm and organic, and the CW just flows effortlessly when you touch them.

These keys are no longer a well kept secret among CW aficionados, but even if you already own a top-notch paddle you should add this handcrafted masterpiece to your collection Ė you will not be disappointed.

W4CEO Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2006 16:19 Send this review to a friend
"WOW" - A work of ART!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have MacPaddle Mk IV number 014/2006. It's hard to believe that Michel, ON4MAC made these in his garage. He is trully a Master Craftsman. The previous reviews say it all. The paddles are well worth the wait. They are in a class of their own. As someone else said, get on the list, NOW. You can't go wrong.

Maurice, W4CEO

EI9JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2006 05:47 Send this review to a friend
The Rolls Royce of paddle keys  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went on Michels list about a year ago and out of the blue i got a email from him asking was i still interested in the paddle and if so what options would i like.So i went for the ebony finger pieces with a spare set of polished aluminum ones.I received the key about two weeks ago(no.18)and have to say that when i opened the box a piece of art appeared in front of me.The construction is very fine and detailed and the ebony finger pieces are like silk to touch,it weighs abt 2 kilos as well so no sliding around.The adjustments are very precise and once set they will stay put.This key is my favourite and is the center piece of my shack.Michel is artist at work.73

N6TZV Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2006 18:33 Send this review to a friend
The "Les Paul" of Paddles!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I couldn't resist the guitar metaphor following up the previous review. What is it about guitarists and CW? It is music too.

I got on Michel's waiting list months ago. A few weeks ago he sent an email and informed me that my paddle was ready if I still wanted it. Yes! It arrived this week and it is MAGNIFICENT! The CW counterpart to an old Les Paul or Martin or National guitar.

This is a musical instrument! I own Frattin, Kent, and Brown Brothers. I have owned all the usual suspects and a few rare ones. But these are all that are left., because they are a cut above. A bit better feel than the Kents because of the magnetic system, and in the same league as the Frattini, but with more precision bearings.

I ordered mine with wooden and carbon fiber finger pieces as well as the stock aluminum. I'll give the carbons a try next week. I am so enjoying the combined feel of the wood and magnetic system I don't want to change yet.

Michel, they are a work of art. Thank you for your craftsmanship and patient design and execution.

Mine are number 16! Get on the list, NOW! You can't go wrong.

Ken N6TZV

JA0XZD Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2006 16:13 Send this review to a friend
The "STRATOCASTER" of Paddles  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have serial #010/2006 with wooden finger pieces (ebony wood).
The MacPaddle is well worth the wait.

The finger pieces are narrow-spaced and the total length of levers are
relatively long on the MacPaddle.
It is light as a feather, the response is very acute with highly precise control,
very smooth and comfortable, it just plain feels wonderful.

Precision, Light, Sensitive, Totally Solid, it is like the "STRATOCASTER" of
Paddles.
:-)

I have other paddles, Schurr Profi II and Bencher JA-1.
In fact, the three keys are different, so there is no comparison between them.
Simply, I'm enjoying the difference of them according to feelings at that time.

JA0XZD

CT1DRB Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2006 08:12 Send this review to a friend
What a super Paddle!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since some days I have at my own this terrific paddle. It is a very beautifull and FB paddle. Lets say that ON4MAC is a super ham and each paddle is unique. I must say that my experiency with paddles are not so large than somebody else, but in total MACPADDLE is my third paddle and is much better than previous ones. First thing is its image in general, is a robust paddle and has the right height to operate, not so eavy not so light.
Then is the touch of the finger pieces, it is very gentle.
In general it is a SUPER 5 for all.
Normally I take a paddle for my activities outside home, i.e. contests, jamborer, etc etc; but for sure this paddle will be at home all the time, it is very good to take with me to these activities :) :) :) .

WE5F Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2006 07:23 Send this review to a friend
A Very Special Club  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm proud to be a member of a very special "club" - owners of the MacPaddle key, made by the craftsman, Michel ON4MAC. I don't know of a better way to express my sentiments. I had a similar feeling when I received my custom paddle by N5QVF.

The MacPaddle key has a touch that is second to none. The feeling is crisp and responsive, but rock solid. It's as I'd imagine the Schurr key would be. There is no flex at all in the finger pieces. It's almost like the key prevents you from making sending errors.

The superb craftsmanship is evident in every angle. The routing on the bottom of the base and the compound bevels on the top edges are precise and flawless. The paddle is perfectly sized, and the mass and weight are more than adequate. The finish is a beautiful and rich brushed brass. The key looks like it was machined from a bar of gold bullion! A very nice touch is the top trapezoidal plate, that has no holes or screws showing. My paddle (#11/2006) came with the solid top plate, evidence of ongoing perfection in the paddle design.

Certainly, one could not ask for more from a mechanical device designed solely for sending flawless CW.

W2ST Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2006 11:16 Send this review to a friend
A terrific paddle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a bit surprising -- but still gratifying -- that in what appears to be the twilight of morse, there are still a number of artist/craftsmen out there producing unbelievably good keys and paddles.

Michel's MacPaddle is certainly one of the greats. Ulrich (the review below) really said it all, but I want to echo his praise. You simply can't go wrong buying this paddle, whether for your collection or for daily use. Mechanics, fit and finish are at the highest level.

It has a particular character that some users -- like me -- will find special: the feel and look of solid, unplated brass, and the feel of relatively long paddles. This paddle feels more like the Mercury or Hensley than like the Begali Signature, for example. It is easily in a league with any of those, and (IMHO) in a different category altogether than the March, which is itself an excellent paddle.

At its price, a great bargain. But you have to be very patient: Michel makes these as a labor of love, not a business.