Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radio Works Carolina Windom 80 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Carolina Windom 80
Radio Works  Carolina Windom 80 Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Multi-band wire antenna with increasing gain vs frequency
More info: http://www.radioworks.com/

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Carolina Windom 80.

KD1W Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2015 06:13 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the 40 meter version, which i had up for about 5 years, before I had room for the 80. I have had the 80 up for a little over a year now. There have been no issues with it at all. If there are issues with water it is probably because the sealing was not done correctly. It is very well made and works well without an external antenna tuner. I would highly recommend this antenna.

KJ4EOZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2015 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Rocks  Time owned: more than 12 months
had a G5RV up and the Carolina windom from radio works beats it 3 to 4 S TX & RX
it's ok on 10m & 12m but rocks 15m - 80m . Do your self a Fav get a Carolina windom from radio works

K8IKW Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 18:03 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna in varied seasonal conditions  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had this antenna erected and in use at my home location for over 2 years in a forest area adjoining our home. Product has worked perfectly both structurally and in RF radiation on all amateur bands i use, 80 to 10 mtr. Prior negative comments indicate the writers had not prepared the seals to the center balun and the coax line isolator units securely or as directed by the company instructions. before erecting this antenna i was careful to seal the edges of the balun and line isolator deeply with the waterproof glue product provided by the mfr and did also edge the balun and line isolator corners and entrance points and wire exit connection points with this sealant...not one drop of water has entered my anits in severe wind and rain and summer temps over 110 degree and winter temps of below zero and 96 inch of snow in ground...used this unit this past month in CQWW contest and scored 260,000 points and 20 zones using this antenna on 40,20,15 and 10 mtrs...of course one should expect some variation of SWR and loading over all these bands in different locations due to height of antenna above ground....base of line isolator cannot be lower than 15 foot above ground to assure proper loading of this product...my antenna is at 50 foot height and line isolator base is at 35 foot approx above ground....mfr instructions clearly state product should not be placed lower than 35 foot above ground to work effectively . i find this to be true in my circumstance as i followed this direction and note excellent results . tuning can and will be affected by proximity to metal surfaces or wire near the antenna site as well as soil and height of the antenna at the selected site. have enjoyed my antenna CW80 for several years and expect more good years of this antenna with moderate maintenance of support wires and coax lines to the base of the line isolator entry connection.

WX4R Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Had this antenna up several years without any problems.   Time owned: more than 12 months
I probably went oveboard on sealing the units. This, however, this has paid off. I have constantly run 400-600 watts without any breakdown. Some feel the antenna will not last at legal limit. I am satisfied.

W8DMC Rating: 0/5 Nov 21, 2012 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had two, both feel apart, took on H20 and wire broke, unwound, and so-on. Bought an "EazyTune" Quality is 100% and works better, and has excellent quality put in. It’s real easy, look at them side to side, before you ever try...Bingo...Light goes on "Easy Tune" hits the nail right on.

K5DSQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2011 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Quality Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had my Carolina Windom 80 up for a couple of weeks. First impression is the quality… very well made with quality components. The manual (40 pages) is by far the best for any wire antenna I have purchased over the years. On the air it is much quieter than my previous G5RV on the upper bands (20-10) and about the same on the lower frequencies. Might be my imagination, but the upper bands seem to be open more than with the previous antenna and I am getting more returned calls and answers to my CQ’s. It loads well on all bands. No complaints here.

K1MMI Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2011 13:09 Send this review to a friend
18 Years old and still ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put my CW80 up on Sept. 3, 1993. I had it mounted at 33 feet and I also had a Van Gordon PD80-10 antenna mounted 5 feet below it. The PD80-10 is basically 4 dipoles attached to a single coax. The wires for both antennas were oriented in the same direction. Both antennas were mounted as inverted vees. I found the dipole on 80 and 40 to be slightly better than the CW80. On 20 the CW80 was far superior. On the other bands it was a coin flip. The auto tuner in my FT-990 was able to match the CW80 on 80,40,30,20,17,15,12,10 and on all frequencies on each band - even though the SWR was 4.5:1 on some frequencies. I've even made contacts on 160 with the CW80. The CW80 is the first wire antenna that I've owned in 50 years that didn't require a lot of maintenance. Overall, the CW80 has proven to be the best wire antenna I've ever used.

Note: My original review was Mar. 3, 2001. Since then I had a problem with the LINE ISOLATOR but pulled it apart and re-soldered a connection to repair it. I use the CW80 almost everyday of the year.

AA2LD Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2011 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Held up in the Hurricane without a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for over a year and it stayed up fine during the hurricane here on Long Island. Just made a contact across the country. Great antenna. Just pay attention to proper installation and weatherproofing.

G0ORC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2011 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent....  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is by way of a follow-up to my comments about this antenna made in July 2004 - at that time it had been in the air over three years - well this year it is coming up to its 10th birthday and still on it goes.

Up 37 feet at one end and about 34 at the other with the vertical radiator not very vertical and having had high winds, snow and ice throw themselves at it, it continues to offer excellent performance. Just checked though my log and it has worked 285 entities for me at power levels ranging from 1W QRP to UK full legal without showing any signs of a problem, and that was during a low period in solar activity.

I will just reiterate what I said all those years ago - when you get your antenna make sure it is watertight - self-amalgamating tape around all of the balun body and the RF choke and also the areas where the wire joins the balun. Waterproof your PL259s with amalgamating tape too. Ensure that you don't block up the drain holes and periodically check them.

Oh and I say again : Radio works - please cut the hype on your web site and just let your antenna do the talking.

No complaints from me......

AC8JD Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2010 12:17 Send this review to a friend
KD8OOZ  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my Carolina windom up at 35'. The vertical radiator is not perfect as the instructions suggest, and I do not have it 15' away from the mast as also suggested by the instruction manual, however it still works great! I am not sure that all the hype about the center fed radiator is making any difference at all for more vertical take off on DX, but I am still having a blast with it on 80m, 20m, 17m, and 15m. 10 and 6 are pretty much dead right now. Although the specs for the antenna are to work on 40m, my rig will not tune it. (Yeasu FT-950). It may be the swr is jsut a hair outside of the 3.0:1 that the Yeasu needs to have the antenna in to tune it.

I find that this Radio Works Carolina Windom is not as sensitive on 40m as my home brewed off Center Fed antenna. It is more sensitive and has a quieter noise floor on 20m than my home brew OCF though.

The construction is awesome! I don't see this failing to the West Michigan elements any time soon! Well worth the $120 I paid!

I have nothing except wire antennas at this point but I have worked all over the globe on 100w on them. I never give a 5 to anything very quickly because I rate them fairly new.