Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | N4PY ICOM Control Program Help

Reviews Summary for N4PY ICOM Control Program
N4PY ICOM Control Program Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Computer Control Program for 13 ICOM Radios
More info: http://www.n4py.com

You can write your own review of the N4PY ICOM Control Program.

W5UA Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2016 12:35 Send this review to a friend
A Great Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use N4PY on 756 Pro III. I use it with MicroHAM USB II and it works quite well. I use HRD on my RemoteRig to a K3. I much prefer N4PY graphic user interface. HRD works but I find N4PY more cost effective and easier to use.
And as has been mentioned many times, Carl is very accessible, responsive and helpful.

WB0DEK Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig Control Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the N4PY ICOM Control Program software with my ICOM IC-7000 since February 2011, over 4 years. The software control for the IC-7000 has been outstanding. It is easy to configure and intuitive to use – excellent rig control software.
I also use the Pegasus Plus Control Program software with my Ten Tec Jupiter 538 since September 2011. It also is excellent rig Control software.
The customer service is superior. There have been regular updates and enhancements for both products. All questions are answered promptly. It just doesn’t get any better than this.
I recommend N4PY products if you are looking for easy to use rig control software.

K8TBW Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 11:24 Send this review to a friend
WORKS PERFECT!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the N4PY ICOM Control Program to enter frequencies into my Icom IC-718 with a
IC-718 Programming Cable I got on ebay for only $10 and they work Perfect!! Anyone who says the software is no good must have been doing something
wrong. "Works fer me". TNX & 73, BILL K8TBW

N8VZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Program, fully Win10 Compatible  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used several of the N4PY versions over the years -- Pegasus, ICOM and Orion. They all work FB and on every Windows version that I've tried them on. These programs give you very precise control of your rig, and often have features that make it easier to access specific rig functions than using the menu system on your radio.

Carl has tremendous customer service and responds very quickly to questions with detailed answers.

If you have any questions, download the trial version for your rig and give it whirl. You'll be glad you did! :-)

K7EC Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and used Carls software for my IC7800 for as long as I have owned the radio, over 10 years. I also use his software on different brands of radios. I find the interface on all versions to be straight forward and intuitive.Each radio type works wonderfully with the N4PY interface and I have not had one complaint about the software on over 10 years (and none before that!) I also own and use HRD and find it to be a great product as well (but N4PY is my first choice for its uniform implementation across radio brands!!)

KF5GC Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Best Icom Software Around  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an old Icom 756 classic that had the screen go out after Icom quit supporting that radio so I needed a way to control it. A fellow ham recommended Carl's software. I read the reviews and downloaded the software with eagerness. I started reading the manual which is easy to read and full of information. I purchased a cat cable for my Icom on ebay and have been pleased with the software ever since. I now use the software with my IC-746 and IC-718. Carl provides blazing fast support and has always answered my questions promptly. You cannot go wrong with his software! de Barry N5HW

W5JCK Rating: 1/5 Sep 20, 2015 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Poorly Implemented  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This software is not well implemented and the interface is so 1990s that it is a dinosaur. The menu options are so ridiculously worded/labelled as to be meaningless. The manual looks like it was created in a simple text editor for DOS with absolutely no formatting, index, or table of contents. Plan on doing a lot of searching to find anything. And worst of all, the program changed my settings without asking. And the dysfunctional Sweep is not only lacking in usable controls it insists on scanning the entire 20m band in CW mode. WTF! This looks and feels like a dinosuar from the DOS age, and it just doesn't seem appropriate or useful on Windows 10. Do a Google search to find the old free version 5 of HRD and use it instead.

AB2E Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Great program and outstanding support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The N4PY software does a fine job of rig control for the Icom (I have an IC-756 Pro III), and he has a long list of other rigs that he supports (although only newer Yaesu, and no FT-1000D which is my other radio for SO2R). Where it excels is the extra things it allows you to integrate from the convenience of the main control program. In my case, I have an Acom 2000A now following the rig frequency automatically, and at the same time have the rig running in N1MM via a link from N4PY. Once set up, the amp follows the radio and pre-tunes it the band segment displayed on the Acom. There are other devices that he has created control settings for such as autotuners and panadapters. It runs in the background, but if you're using it with N1MM and have enough monitor space, you could add it to your N1MM window setup.
I downloaded it as a 10 day free trial, and Carl N4PY even modified the software for me several times (all in a couple days, and in some cases only a couple of hours had passed before he emailed me back with a program update!) to get it working for my setup to make sure it would work for me as I wanted. Excellent customer service.
The main program links to whatever level converter device you are using (in my case the K9JM CI-V router for Icom, which uses a virtual comport). You do need a null-modem cable to interface to the Acom 2000A (make it yourself and only use pins 2,3, and 5, reversing pins 2 and 3 on each end for null-modem.
The program seemed very intuitive and while it has about 20 setup screens, they are all relevant to operation of the radio and are easily accessible to change via a pulldown menu. I also like the fact that he has a user-editable .ini file which contains the stored program parameters. Anyone using Writelog will be familiar with this type of file, and it is easy to make changes or to double-check to see if you saved a parameter. Normally, exiting the program will save any changes made while it was running.
I am very impressed with this program but Carl's level of attentive customer support (as mentioned, rapid response to emails, and revised versions of the software sometime in the same day) was the selling point for me. I am already enjoying this software immensely and feel confident that N4PY will be able to meet my future needs for rig control or integration of other devices to go with the radio.

73 Darrell AB2E

W5ZZT Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2013 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Great support and easy to use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I tried al the others and the N4PY software is the best. It is easy to set up and use and it works, plain and simple. I use it it with my new Icom 7600.

Software is only as good as the support. Carl must sit by his computer 24/7. Whenever I have had a question he has responded quickly. He even added some features that I asked for. I now operate the radio from my computer and it interfaces easily with my logging program (ARClog - another nice program with great support) and has my Palstar tuner following the frequency of the radio perfectly.

Simply put, this software works! If you do find an issue Carl fixes it quickly and sends you a file for testing.

Has a 10 day free trial but I was convinced after an hours use and was the best $65 I have spent.

Thanks Carl.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2010 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use and excellent support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think N4PY has a quality product that he manages and keeps up to date, constantly improving it and expanding it's capability. I wouldn't take anything away from other software and do use other radio control programs like HRD to run my FT-817ND and Callsign to run my R75. However, I found much more utility in N4PY running an Orion II, as it simplified antenna selection (TX and RX), VFO assignment, especially for diversity reception,split mode and the other aspects of running that radio. Another reason to use certain software is the support behind it and again, HRD is fantastic in this as well, but N4PY is also outstanding with Carl who owns it and keeps it up to date. He is always available, answers my dumbest questions in a friendly manner, and has even shifted registrations as I have changed radios, you just need to ask and he is quick to help out.