Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | N4PY ICOM Control Program Help

Reviews Summary for N4PY ICOM Control Program
N4PY ICOM Control Program Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $65
Description: Computer Control Program for 13 ICOM Radios
More info: http://www.n4py.com

You can write your own review of the N4PY ICOM Control Program.

KD8MJR Rating: 2/5 Jun 30, 2010 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Cannot Recommend it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As another poster stated below, there is a much better piece of free software that does 10 times as many things and its' Free! Get Ham Radio Deluxe and save your cash. The major problem with this software is that it does not know if I have changed any of my radios settings when I change them with the Radio. I find it much easier to change frequencies with the Radio rather than using a Mouse, but with N4PY the software's freq dial is not changing with the Radio! Serious limitation! Also some of the features seem to be buggy, it's so hard to tell but something crashes the softare every few minutes, add to that the fact that everytime I run NYPY it sets my radio to some default settings which include Volume at zero I just decideded to chuck it and go back to what works.
Try the free 10 days before buying N4PY

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2009 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using N4PY software since 2001 and my results have been excellent. This program supports several Icom radios and I CURRENTLY use it to support two Icom radios. Support questions or issues are typically handled by Carl in one day.

In fact just recently I asked Carl if it was possible to add Acom 2000A band switching support to his program & in just two days he sent me a Beta that included my requested feature. Understand he is now planning on adding Acom 2000a support to his Icom, Pegasus & Orion versions of his software.

Also registered users can also download his free DX Spots program that works with N4PY Radio control programs. Not only does it have the DX cluster internet connection included in this program is his N4PYLog logging program.

To sum it up my experience with Carl's software has been outstanding in both operation & support.

KL7JDR Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2006 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Works Great !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

Works great for me !

Like it better than Ham Radio Deluxe.

N5HTY Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Nice computer control program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used N4PY computer control programs for Icom and Ten Tec. They work wonderfully. If you have a question with the program just email N4PY and he promptly replys.

K0BHN Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2006 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Control Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the N4PY Control Programs for several years and am very impressed with the them. I use the N4PY Control Program for an ICOM-718 and a Ten Tec Pegasus. Neither program has ever given any trouble. The programs were both quick to load and easy to use. Carl sends updates every few months. I am very impressed with the program support. If I have a question, Carl usually responds within a matter of minutes and that's wonderful support. I highly recommend the N4PY Control Programs they are well designed, updated several times a year and function well.

N5XRD Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2006 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used N4PY control programs for many years, starting with a Pegasus, jupiter, Orion, Icom PRO II, Icom PRO III. It is a great program. I highly recommend it.

W9LVM Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2006 18:07 Send this review to a friend
The best there is!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Icom IC-756Pro and have had Carl's software for about a 1 1/2 years and it works better then any software I know! Easy to set up and use. It is well worth the money that I spent on it. I only use the best there is!

NU5D Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2006 17:29 Send this review to a friend
N4PY Software for Icom  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used N4PY control software for both my Pro II (now upgraded to IC7800) and TS2000 for over a year. Carl sends periodic updates, and although I am not a heavy user, have had no issues with setup or operation. Steve NU5D

KC2QIH Rating: 2/5 Nov 15, 2006 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Why pay when there is much better for free  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will make this real short. Ham Radio Deluxe is by far a superior software product in all areas; interface, features, design and programming skill. N4PY can not even recognize when you press a button or make a change on your rig. You must re-initialize the software or it will not know that you made any changes. In other words, it only sends commands but can not recognize when you use your radio to change things.

The only reason that I can think of for someone to buy this software is that they are unaware of Ham Radio Deluxe. The difference between the two is staggering. Just try them both to see what I mean. It is like being able to get MS Word for free but spending money to buy Notepad instead.

W8KEB Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2005 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Computer Control Program for 13 ICOM Radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
N4PY ICOM Control Program V1.14

I have used the N4PY Control Programs for Ten-Tec Pegasus, Jupiter, Argonaut V and the Orion since Carl started with the Pegasus. The ICOM Control Program is as good as the Ten-Tec Control Programs.

I am now using this one program to control two different ICOM Radios, The IC-718 and IC-703 Plus. I use the ICOM CT-17 Communication Interface-V Level Converter. By loading the N4PY ICOM Control into two different folders on my hard drive, labeling one n4py 718 and the second n4py 703, I can use one program to run two ICOM Radios with the CT-17. The N4PY ICOM Control Program will control 13 different ICOM Radios by picking your model from the settings Interface Panel. Set up is very easy.

34 Hot Keys (Alt H) let you control most of the front panel buttons on the IC-718 and 703. The mouse can also be used to change things like the VFO Frequency, filter size, PreAmp, Band Buttons, Memory Storage and Recall.

The Band Sweep on the IC-718, which does not have a factory sweep function, is very good. The factory Band Sweep on the IC-703 Plus is not very big and hard to read. Using Carl’s Sweep on both of these radios is fun and can let me see the band conditions fast. This alone makes the cost of the ICOM Control Program well worth it.

Memory Save and Recall is very fast and easy. Using the mouse click on the Store button and up comes a dialog box to fill in with the Call Sign. The frequency and mode are inserted for you. You can add Filter, Country, Language and a big box for notes. Click on the “OK” button and the memory file is stored. To recall this memory click on the “Recall” button on the control program front panel. If your hard diver is large enough you can store hundreds of memories.

All of Carl’s Control Programs now support the K1EL WinKey. The K1EL WinKey is the best Keyboard Keyer made. It can also be used with paddles and I have my WinKey set up to use both. I must add that the WinKey uses the Computer Keyboard, a great plus for the keyboard CW types.

The ICOM Control Program supports the Buckmaster Ham CallSign Look UP and the Ham Call LogBook. I use both and do my logging real time. No set up is required for the Buckmaster programs, Carl does it all for you.

The N4PY ICOM Control Program increases the value of any ICOM Radio ten fold. It is stable and easy to learn to use and when on the air with the IC-718 I get a lot of questions about it. This makes the IC-718 and IC 703 fun to use and that is what it is all about.