Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | MacDoppler for Cocoa Help

Reviews Summary for MacDoppler for Cocoa
MacDoppler for Cocoa Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $98
Description: Satellite Tracking Software for the Mac
More info: http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacDoppler.html

You can write your own review of the MacDoppler for Cocoa.

F8WAK Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2009 01:09 Send this review to a friend
10 out of 10  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For satellite enthusiasts there are two good reasons to switch to Macs: Don Argo is the first and MacDoppler is the second. I have been very slow to move to the computer/radio concept (first x-mitter/rcvr was an AT-1 and a BC-348; first computer was an H-89) but when my interest turned to satellites, there was no choice, but I needed a lot of help. Don responded immediately each time I requested help and actually modified the program to solve a problem I was having with the Yaesu GS-232B. Like MacLogger, MacDoppler is intuitive and therefore quite easy to use. The layout is well thought out with the important information logically presented in the foreground. Dog Park Software accepts input from its users and is therefore a resource for hams on the internet, not just a company that sells software. The only thing he has not told me, is what brand of coffee he drinks.

K6LCS Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2006 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been a PC person for over 20 years. Some sort of change of life occurred to me a couple months ago...and I researched amateur radio software for Macs. I came across this program - purchased it from AMSAT - and then ordered my first Mac: the 17" MacBook Pro...

Great satellite tracking program. I have shown it off at a couple hamfests, as well as at several clubs where I was speaking on "Working Satellites with your HT."

Painless to upgrade kep data, too.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666

K0TOM Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2006 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Software , with Excellent Support  Time owned: more than 12 months
The software is great! I use this with a TS-2000, and a imac G3/500. Don gives outstanding tech support!

NI5V Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2005 19:54 Send this review to a friend
The Standard by which others are judged  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some software is just so good that it defines the category and becomes the basis of comparison - and MacDoppler defines the categry for amateur radio satellite software. I've been a very, very satisfied user of MacDopplerPro for the past few years. My complaints have been very minor and mostly confined to interface, but MacDopplerPro works extremely well--and you just can't beat the support provided by the developer. So based on my positive experience, I immediately purchased MacDoppler for Cocoa when the first version was released - something I don't normally do since I don't usually trust new software!

MacDoppler for Cocoa didn't disappoint me. The first versions (updated several times a week at least!) didn't contain the full feature set of MacDopplerPro, but the quick updates from Don Agro brought it up to full functionality in very short order. My biggest complaint about the older MacDoppler Pro was dealing with multiple windows, but I know that is a personal opinion that might not be shared by others. MacDoppler for Cocoa addresses my complaints about multiple windows almost completely as there is now one window and I really, really like this interface much better. And while there is only one window, and a lot of info on that window, the ability to order the satellite information in the track list allows me to set up the information listing in the way that I want.

Mode editing is greatly simplified. Radio drivers are provided for 17 different radios (as of this writing), and there is extensive support for a variety of different rotator configurations. You can specify where you want the rotators parkes, and provides offsets in case your antennas aren't pointed in exactly the right direction. The Predictative Dead Spot functionality is really nice.

I won't say that the first versions were bug free, but it says something about the developer when you know that a reported bug will be fixed withing a few hours. And when I have a GOOD suggestion for improvement, it is amazing how quickly it gets incorporated into the software. (My ideas are not ALWAYS good!)

Now, about price. There is no upgrade path from MacDoppler Pro to MacDoppler for Cocoa and some may balk at paying the full $98 single-license fee. I'm a big proponent of useful FREE software for utilities and seldom used functions, but when you reach the level of MacDoppler for Cocoa you should expect to pay for what you get. Yes, there are some free satellite programs out there that will give you a taste of this aspect of the hobby, but they are either unsupported or not frequently updated. The fact is that the Mac ham radio market is small and if you want good software you should expect to pay for it. MacDoppler for Cocoa is an outstanding program and worth every penny. You won't regret paying for MacDoppler for Cocoa.

K4MTS Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2005 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Stellar!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've used Dog Park Software's MacDopplerPro for a couple of years now and I've found it to be stable and user-friendly. I didn't think I'd find anything better for tracking sats; until now. MacDoppler for Cocoa is an even more elegant interface and makes working sats a real joy.

I use an iMac G5 2GHz, with OS X 10.4.3, w/2GB RAM interfaced to a Kenwood TS-2000. SInce my station is fairly modest (I don't have a steerable antenna; I use eggbeaters for sats), I cannot comment on the rotor control aspect of MDPro.

But every other feature makes this product a lot of fun. You can set up a track list to follow you favorite sats. MacDoppler controls the uplink and downlink of your rig and accurately tracks the doppler shift as the sat passes. When you only have a short window, it makes having a QSO very easy. You won't have to touch a thing on your radio.

Logging the contact couldn't be easier. Just type in the call and MacDoppler will look it up on the intenet, enter the stations info including grid, and logs up/down link frequencies, Mode, Sat name, Az/El and more.

And if that's not enough, it just looks beautiful. It's like "Mission Control" on your desktop.

I have been very impressed with all the software coming from Dog Park. Don updates his software often (at no additional charge) and is very receptive to suggestions and comments. I have never had the kind of customer service from any other software vendor; large or small; that I get from Dog Park. You get a heck of a lot of support and a fabulous product for your money.

Download the demo and this program at Dog Park's website and you'll see for yourself.