Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | KB9VBR 2 meter J-Pole antenna Help

Reviews Summary for KB9VBR 2 meter J-Pole antenna
KB9VBR 2 meter J-Pole antenna Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $29.
Description: This is the original KB9VBR all copper 2 meter J-Pole antenna. Ruggedly constructed one piece design, this antenna will last practically forever. The specs for the two meter version are as follows: Overall length 69 inches, radiator 58 inches, matching stub 19 inches. An S0-239 connector is soldered on at the point of lowest SWR.
More info: http://www.jpole-antenna.com

You can write your own review of the KB9VBR 2 meter J-Pole antenna.

KX4O Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2016 12:55 Send this review to a friend
Good value with gainflation specs  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Strong Value:
Having built and tested many J-poles in the past, I can confirm you will be hard pressed to procure the materials for as little as Michael charges for his J antenna models. Sure you can save a little money by building your own, and that's fine, but rest assured you won't pay much for Michael's labor.

Gainflation:
Much has been said about the J antenna community especially with regards to functional antenna knowledge. Sadly, Michael reveals his lack of antenna expertise with the stated electrical specifications of 3 dBi for the traditional J and 6 dBi for his SlimJim model along with statements concerning differing takeoff angles. All this despite the overwhelming evidence the two antenna topologies perform almost exactly the same plus the fact Fred Judd, the SlimJim designer, never made such claims. Woodchuck mistakes by antenna rookies are one thing, but Michael is a manufacturer of note in the antenna industry and should know better than to promote misleading specifications. This is especially true with the body of measurements available to view on sites like the Wikipedia J-pole article.

Hams are easy/Others less so:
Most hams know they are getting a 2-2.5 dBi (freespace) antenna from Michael despite his inflationary claims - they won't care. I won't be surprised if a LPFM station takes him to task concerning his FM broadcast models since accurate antenna gain information is a critical input to the broadcast propagation models used to establish the station's license - needless liability exposure. Tread carefully Michael!

Conclusion:
If one ignores the stated gain specifications, the KB9VBR J antennas are a good value.

W8ARR Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2015 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned one of these for 2 years now. The construction details are excellent. I handle traffic on one of the VHF nets here in Columbus. I have pulled in repeaters that my Arrow 2 mtr doesn't hear. I highly recommend this antenna. I just bought a 6 mtr J-pole from Mike. I hope it works as well

KF7UDU Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2015 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Good price performance ratio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Yes, there are dual band antennas out there with more gain, but at double or triple the cost (and far more), less sturdy, anywhere from 2 to 4 times the length and if using radial rods, a far wider footprint also. For what this does at it's cost is a bargain.

I regularly talk to 4 base stations simplex that are 15 and 20 miles away. One is using KB9VBR's j-pole, one is using a home brewed copper j-pole and two are using other verticals. I am using the KB9VBR slim jim (and have the take down j-pole for camping). I live at 1150' ASL and the other stations are at 100' or less. The slim jim is up 24' on a pole (21' of galvanized then 4' PVC with a length of bamboo that fit perfectly inside PVC to stiffen it up and a PVC cap on top). Works great with the other stations as the slim jim has a lower take off angle than the j-poles, as Michael's information points out. Repeaters out to 50 miles are no problem and a couple are up to 70 miles away, still no problem. Of course VHF is an obstacle/terrain picky beast and your results WILL vary.

Our simplex QSO's are usually using only 5 watts. Excellent copy and no need to bump power up any more than that. One station is using 25 watts, but only becasue his Kenwood TM-281a only turns down that far. I have talked to him when his Icom HT was plugged in to the j-pole and at 5 watts, the difference is noticable but negligible. SWR never above 1.2:1 all across 2m band on either my slim jim or j-pole. Using 50' RG8, no choke used.

KB9VBR rates the j-pole at 3dbi and slim jim at 6dbi. At least he is honest and does not leave the 'i' qualifier off his db rating. So dbd is somewhat less. He also points this out on his j-pole information.

Painted mine with a simulated 'hammered copper' look paint. Looks great in addition to working great.

KB1KVL Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2015 23:17 Send this review to a friend
More Than What I Expected  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the KB9VBR 2m J-Pole over a year ago. I didn't expect too much. I figured I'd use it for the local repeaters. Was I wrong! This antenna hits almost as many repeaters as my Diamond did. I said almost. When I put it up on the roof, I could only have it at 20' to the bottom of the antenna. I checked the SWR. It was flat across the 2m band. For curiosity, I checked it on 440. I didn't expect much because it was advertised as a 2m J-Pole. It was near flat across 440 as well. I never touched any of the adjustments on it. Why should I? If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Would I recommend this one to a relative or friend? You bet your bippy I would!

Ken

KJ4JSN Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2015 19:05 Send this review to a friend
does not have 3 db gain  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have built many 1/2 j poles and they work great .But they do not have 3 db gain witch some people claim.Modle any j pole for 2 meter 6 meters with nec2 or even just look in the ARRL antenna book.3db gain I think not still a great antenna and fun to build 73s

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 14:39 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SMALL ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have limited space because I live in Condoland, so I needed a small antenna I could use on an indoor porch. Mike also makes a UHF version of this antenna, & it works really well. I'm very happy with the performance of this antenna, & it's very well made.

KE3JH Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2012 12:16 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a jpole for 1.25 mtrs and it has a great swr at 50 watts and got the repeaters better than i thought it would so real happy and didnt cost an arm and leg. I made one for 2 meters works really good and better on 70 cent.

KD8HAM Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Economical and effective  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna cannot be beat at this price. I paid 38$ including shipping and had the antenna delivered less than 3 days later.

I live in a rented condo - and have limited options when it comes to mounting antennas. I mounted this antenna on my deck and attached it to a length of pipe using some hose clamps. Great audio reports and am able to work a few distant repeaters with no problems. Great audio reports all around.

The day after installation - we experience winds gusting up to about 45 mph and this antenna is still standing!

I cannot recommend this antenna enough and is probably the best money you can spend.

KJ6MYX Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Awesome !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the most amazing antenna I have ever used.
I can hit a machine over 75 miles away and it is NOT line of sight. Many hills and obstacles in So Calif. I have it 28 feet over my garage on an old tv mast and WOW. I highly recommend and as a new ham and I am hooked. Do yourself a favor and get one of these. I am going to buy another for mobile/portable use!!! 73's KJ6MYX Dean.

K7ABV Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2011 14:56 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This J-pole has been up during our Nasty Winter...it is basically flat as far as SWR on my main freq. 146.73...it is only hose clamped to a 4 foot 2x2 and then hose clamped to a vent pipe on the house about 15 feet at the base...I highly recommend this antenna...fast service and it works...If it can last in a Montana winter it's gotta be good...