Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-1802M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1802M
Yaesu FT-1802M Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199
Description: The Yaesu FT-1802M is a ruggedly-built 2 meter transceiver with 50 watts of RF output. It features extended receive from 136 to 174 MHz. It has illuminated front panel keys and boasts 221 memories. There is also a 10 channel NOAA weather bank. You get CTCSS and DCS Encoder and Decoder circuits. The FT-1802M even has a unique a CW trainer to practice Morse Code. It also supports one-touch access to Yaesu's renowned WiRES-II Internet Linking System. There is a security password to help prevent unauthorized use.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1802M.

N9UY Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2013 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Adequate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am about to put my 1802 up for sale after owning it for about 5 years, the only reason being I wanted something with a detachable faceplate. It has been in my vehicle the entire time. I have had no problems or issues of any kind during this period. I have never had any complaints about my audio or signal.

This radio has been reported to run hot and indeed it will if airflow around it is restricted in any way; I have mine mounted on a stalk with free air circulation all around and it never gets more than warm, even on 50 watts.

Since I also own a Yaesu FT-857D, the extensive menu system in this radio is not as daunting as it might be to one encountering it for the same time - there are a lot of choices you can make in how the radio operates.

My biggest beef is that the repeater tone scan feature is clumsy to operate and not at all intuitive. This should be a button function, not a menu one. I also wished that it would display the voltage at all times (again like the FT-857D) not just at startup or from the menu.

KQ4KK Rating: 3/5 Nov 20, 2013 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Went DEAF in 2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Was purchased for a Middle School Technology/Radio Club. Only used about 2 hours a week at most.
It went DEAF, just like the KENWOOD D710s with bad filters. Put the radio in NARROW BAND and it is currently receiving fine. Same way the D710s were. Looked on internet. A 13 min video on how to replace the BAD FILTERs in the 1802.
Guess I'll watch the video and replace the filters. Out of warranty. Looks like the whole Amateur industry got taken by these bad filters.

KF5TIE Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a brand new ham with little experience in radio. I purchased my 1802 used from an older ham that was getting out of the hobby. I've had it about two weeks and love it.
With the manual, programming it was a breeze, even for a newbie like me and I've gotten nothing but positive reports on the radio's sound. I was concerned after reading some of the negative reviews here and nearly did not buy it because of them, but the price a better deal than I could pass up. Boy, am I glad I bought it. There seems to be a ton more features I haven't played with yet, but that'll come. For now, though, it has made my hour long each way commute very enjoyable.
I've no complaints about the overheating issue as of yet, even with extended conversations. I have no issues hitting repeaters 30-50+ miles off, even off of a magnetic mount mobile antenna.
All in all, I find it to be a good little radio, one I would buy again. In fact, I'm looking at one for the home shack... As a newbie, I may have a better rig down the road, but I am very pleased with this litte rig.

N3EYQ Rating: 2/5 Jan 5, 2013 02:58 Send this review to a friend
Subject to failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio was returned within warranty period and is now deaf my Icom HT hears much better on a rubber duck...This radio has issues.

N7WR Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2012 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for the $$  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a pair of these when they first came on the market. One for the shack and one for my pickup truck. Not long after I decided to put a dual bander in the truck so I took one of the 1802's and mounted it on my ATV where it has resided since. It is "protected" from the weather by a cover that I placed over it BUT it still gets rained and snowed on some and it certainly gets covered in dust. It has survivied 5 winters with temps 25 below zero on occasion and 6 summers in 100 degree WX. The ATV is kept inside a barn when not in use and all manner of bugs and critters crawl over it. Never have had any problem with the radio. Works great and it is nice to have the power of a mobile if I am out 4 wheeling in the woods or plowing snow. Built like a tank as it has survived a whole lot of serious bouncing around over the years

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2011 20:30 Send this review to a friend
best bang 4 your buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
get's grear reports s9 599 on 146.520

KJ4LCC Rating: 2/5 Aug 12, 2011 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Passable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this product for a period of three years and used it almost daily during that time period.

It (and its successor, the FT1900) have the lowest MSRP of any big-three VHF mobile, and it shows.

Good Points:
-Tiny footprint
-Loud audio
-Good signal quality
-Price
-Full-featured- smart search, CW trainer, mic gain, etc.

Negatives:
-Receiver is prone to intermod- it behaves more like a triband, wide rx ht than a 2M mobile.
-No real heat sink. It has a heavy aluminum chassis but no surface area like a normal heat sink.
-Cheap build quality, especially in the front panel and hand mic.
-Prone to alternator whine
-VFO knob has poor tactile adjustment. A slight bump will knock the radio off frequency or memory channel.
-The handmic has a number of programmable keys, but the radio only allows limited functionality with them, rather than allowing the user to configure any menu item or power setting to the keys.

I was OK with this radio until purchasing a competitor's 2M radio. After owning that mobile and seeing how much better operation can be, my opinion of this unit has dropped. Driving around with the squelch pegged at all times and still having S7-S9 noise (via the radio's meter) break in half the time I drive under a power line or go near a pager is driving me crazy. The alternator also whines over this radio like a cheap uniden CB.

In operation, audio is loud, but tinny at high volumes. Signal reports have been fine, and adjustable mic gain is nice, but I find that this radio heats up very quickly and cools slowly due to the heavy solid chassis with no heat sink. If I had two of these, I could make waffles.

W1WH Rating: 0/5 Jun 23, 2010 12:17 Send this review to a friend
DOA after 13 months  Time owned: more than 12 months
Similar to other comments, my 1802 went DOA about 13 months (i.e., "just out of warranty") after I bought it new. During the time it was a so called functioning radio, it was extremely sensitive to noise. It also seemed to run hot so I guess it was just a matter of time. Yaesu should be ashamed to have their name on this one.

KJ4KKI Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2010 00:58 Send this review to a friend
good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had mine a short time. I bought it used x 1 year, for $70. I can't complain about it running hot...so far it hasn't. Any radio with a heat sink will run hot. I have solid reports on tx, and rx sounds great. Much better than my FT-60, and it sounds really good. I do wish the VFO knob had more definitive clicks. It's easy to bump. If it was dual band, I could listen to public safety past the effective distance of my HT due to increased sensitivity. I've had none of the noise complaints one fellow in Florida complained about. People in our ham club who have them have nothing but praise for them. I think if you find a new one in a warehouse somewhere, or a good used one...buy it. It's a very affordable, easy to program VHF (only) radio for a new ham. Solid Radio sells very affordable USB transfer cables. (http://stores.ebay.com/solidradio) G4HFQ in England writes Yaesu programming software and sells it for $15. Compared to ADMS, that's a great price. (www.g4hfq.co.uk/)

NI4JM Rating: 1/5 May 7, 2010 08:44 Send this review to a friend
CRAP in mobile service.  Time owned: months
Used as a base rig for 2 years. It worked fine on the local repeaters and on simplex. I recently installed it in my mobile. I took it out a day later. The receiver is garbage. It picks up everything and anything. I have to set the squelch very tight to shut it up which kills RX sensitivity when you are nearing weak signal territory. The power lines here in Tampa are very noisy all over the place. This radio opens squelch on power line noise! I have never had a radio do that in mobile operation. On the other hand, I have an 8800 and a 7800 in mobile use and love both radios. The 1802 was "Made in China" and the other two were "Made in Japan". Go figure!