Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-1802M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1802M
Yaesu FT-1802M Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199
Description: The Yaesu FT-1802M is a ruggedly-built 2 meter transceiver with 50 watts of RF output. It features extended receive from 136 to 174 MHz. It has illuminated front panel keys and boasts 221 memories. There is also a 10 channel NOAA weather bank. You get CTCSS and DCS Encoder and Decoder circuits. The FT-1802M even has a unique a CW trainer to practice Morse Code. It also supports one-touch access to Yaesu's renowned WiRES-II Internet Linking System. There is a security password to help prevent unauthorized use.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1802M.

VK1FH Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 03:06 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of thes and am sorry i sold it will look out for another one only problem does run a little hot at full power advice run at 25 watts

AD7JR Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2010 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am new to 2 meters and to high tech radios, so the 1802 was a new experience for me. It's not hard to program once you read the manual, it has a lot of features that I will probably never use. Mine doesn't get particularly hot, warm after a lengthy transmission at 50 watts, but it's well ventilated and SWR is minimal. I don't like the plastic mic connector and the manual is not as explicit as it could be. My radio changed over time. I noticed I was receiving less stations with more noise. Checked antenna, coax: Nothing. Set radio to narrow bandwidth and what a difference!! Never could figure out why the change in reception. Nice radio for the money.

KK2DOG Rating: 4/5 Aug 26, 2009 22:08 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Prior to this rig, I ran an Icom IC-2200H in my truck. The Yaesu is easier to navigate menu-wise, and I truly do love it's microphone gain
capabilities. You generally don't find that on a mono-band VHF radio. But...
the FT-1802M picks up way more intermod than the Icom ever did, and the power switch for some strange reason isn't illuminated. All in all,
not a bad rig, and it does WIRES too. If it wasn't for the intermod issue, I'd give it a five. But a nice radio otherwise.

Mike KK2DOG
www.hamwave.com

AC8AZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2009 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Fine radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had my set for a year. I talk on it an hour per day mobile. It scans and receives weather and public service frequencies. It does get hot when using full power. At the price I paid (129$) it is a super radio!!!

WV1K Rating: 0/5 Jul 11, 2009 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Steal mine, please.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Volume knob went in the 13th month. Of course we all know a 120 buck rig is disposable, but after 13 months ? Where did the corporate responsibility of this company go ? Radio scares the snot out of anyone now with blasting, intermittent audio, and that's after having t fiddle with it when the audio simply cuts out. Glad I only have one and it's not in my personal vehicle. If you had to graph the QC at Yaesu you'd get sea sick starting with the good MP to the MK Vs with lemon displays to the Fields and MK Vs with apparently good QC in 2005 or so, to the lemon final boards that caused the FT-817ND to emerge, to the nice FT-7800R, then this lemon...

WD8RWI Rating: 0/5 Jul 11, 2009 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money  Time owned: more than 12 months
On the surface the FT 1802M seems to be a decent rig for the price, but it has one fatal flaw. Instead of some kind of reasonable mike connector, Yaesu chose to use a cheap, crappy and fragile phone type plug. This plug lasted just about 15 minutes after I put it in a vehicle. After that it was continually coming unplugged and when I thought I was talking to the net control while doing a public service event, I wasn't even keying the radio. Prior to putting it in a vehicle, I had been using it in my shack just to access a local repeater so there where no bounces or shakes or other disturbances. But, like I said, once it was put in a vehicle, junk city! I would strongly urge anybody looking for a low priced mobile to buy anything but this junker.

K3SI Rating: 0/5 Jun 11, 2009 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Dead Audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine a few months and the receive audio went out,audio was ok on the cw practice and the beep tone but could hardly hear any received signals.The rig was only used in the shack never mobile. Returned to factory under warrenty and got it fixed. An audio amp chip out. It then worked long enough to get out of warrenty and then the audio went out again, same problem. Scrapped it and bought an icom.

M3GNM Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2009 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic value for money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine from Chris at ML&S and cannot praise the radio highly enough. Fantasic audio reports both simplex and through the repeaters. First contact was simplex (mobile) through Reading town center. Great reports given and received. In fact the other station I was speaking to was also using the same radio. Considering that the DTMF mic on its own would cost 38 - this radio is really excellent value. The build quality is excellent and would suit most peoples need for mobile use. I'm running mine though the aux port on my stereo system so all audio comes through the car spreaker system - brilliant! Couldn't have asked for better. Well done Yaesu! Its a pity some of the other makers cant't seem to do the same. Bravo!

GM4ULS Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2009 23:30 Send this review to a friend
Good for what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it for the following:

1. Interfaced to a PC for a local internet gateway. It works fine but runs hot, so I have a fan mounted behind it.

2. Reading the GB2RS news broadcast. Ditto hot running. I use a Watson WM-308 desk mic for that - good reports.

3. Occasional simplex contacts, and through the local repeater.

4. The built in morse generator - great fun!

Overall it does what I ask of it.

WD8T Rating: 1/5 Apr 13, 2009 17:19 Send this review to a friend
1 year and dead...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the FT-1802M new about a year ago and have been using it in my truck. It's seen very little actual "on time" and has not been abused. Turned it on yesterday and it was completely dead. I checked all the power connections and fuses and even tried it in the house on a power supply and verified it's "belly up". It worked ok for the time I had it. The controls are not intuitive at all. I ecpected more than a year out of this rig.