Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-1802M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-1802M
Yaesu FT-1802M Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $199
Description: The Yaesu FT-1802M is a ruggedly-built 2 meter transceiver with 50 watts of RF output. It features extended receive from 136 to 174 MHz. It has illuminated front panel keys and boasts 221 memories. There is also a 10 channel NOAA weather bank. You get CTCSS and DCS Encoder and Decoder circuits. The FT-1802M even has a unique a CW trainer to practice Morse Code. It also supports one-touch access to Yaesu's renowned WiRES-II Internet Linking System. There is a security password to help prevent unauthorized use.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-1802M.

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2008 07:41 Send this review to a friend
they work for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
SWDUNCAN Stole my thunder, I have had three of them in daily use for 1 year now with no trouble at all. Two are mobile and one in the house. The one in the house does do something strange. When turning the DC power supply on the radio lets out a couple of pop sounds out of its speaker before I turn the radio on? But works just fine.

KG6BRG Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2008 06:21 Send this review to a friend
It's a keeper!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I will have owned this radio for 1 year next month. It has been flawless in every aspect. I wrote an impression of the rig soon after I received it (March of 2007) and am now following up on that review. The RX and TX audio is superb as is the adjustable mic gain. I have no problem with heat, and have never seen a "heat" warning appear on the display. I think the highest temp I have seen indicated was around 115ļ, of course the heat sink gets hot but that is the purpose, is it not? I plan on buying another in the near future. cheers

KC2SRI Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2008 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading some of the horror stories here, I was a bit reluctant to try this model... but, for the price and the features, it was the perfect choice for a compact 2m mobile.

After installing, I took it for a spin around the 2m band, and was very pleased with the scanning mode and the receive quality. It is very easy to program and pretty simple to use right out of the box. So far, I'm quite pleased with it... will update after I've had it for a little longer.

G4RRA Rating: 2/5 Jan 14, 2008 02:03 Send this review to a friend
Its not great  Time owned: months
I purchased my FT1802E after seeing it at a great price in my local dealer.
I was really impressed with the ease of use,sure you have to read the manual,but thats pretty normal for the multi menued rigs now.
However in use it turned out to be next to useless.
It got hot,really hot.I found that even on low power I could not use the thing for longer than 15mins or it would cut out and go back to recieve.
I really like almost everything else about the rig,its small,its cheap,its got all the features I could want.
But its gets so hot I cant use it.
Its sold in the UK on the basis it does not need a fan and is therefore nice and quiet.
In my experience this claim is somewhat wide of the mark!

KI7DG Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2007 16:47 Send this review to a friend
User friendly radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a nice user friendly radio. Has a lot of bells and whistles which for our part of the country are useless. Not as user friendly as the FT2400 but close. To bad Yaesu stop producing the FT2400. A feature I look for is the ease of skiping busy chanels and this one is somewhat easy when driving. One should not have to break out the manual to do simple things while drivning and that is where the FT 2400 shines. If your looking for something simple and easy to operate then this is the radio but if you can find a used FT2400 that's a better choice. FORGET the Icom 2100 a real nightmare just to skip a chanel.

K3SI Rating: 2/5 Nov 24, 2007 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Goes deaf  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Worked ok in the shack for about 5 months and then had no audio on receive signals, beep and cw practice sounded good but could hear nothing of incoming signals despite good signal strength. Got repaired at Yaesu and returned only to quit again after 3 days. Now awaitng second repair trip.

M3XPR Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2007 02:02 Send this review to a friend
Cracking little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had mine for about 2 months now using it mobile and itís a great little radio.
I picked up mine from a local supplier for £100 including p and P, I thought that was a bargain.
Its small (about 14 x 14 x 4 cm ish) itís quite heavy for the size and you get the impression its really well made.
Itís easy to use unlike other Yaesuís I have used.
Mine does not get hot but then I only run it at 10 or 5 watts.
after about 90 minutes of constant use mine gets luke warm.
All in all itís a great radio and a fantastic bargain. And I am thinking of buying another one for my shack.

NO6E Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2007 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use and inexpensive  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've recently installed a dozen of these in vehicles at work. We only use the receivers,
which work very well above 160 mHz due to
varactor-conrolled front-end tuning.

The radios work very well for out purposes:
They're small, quick to install and program
easily via PC.

Only downside we've found is that they're somewhat
vulnerable to ignition noise, even with a
strong receive signals and dc-supply filtering.

Still, the bullet-proof front and and good
receive audio, even on our 2.5 kHz narrowband
system, make this radio a good choice.

Could you buy a scanner to do the same job?
Sure, but multiband and broadband front ends
aren't always what you want. Could you buy
a scanner with comparable performance, including
narrowband option, PL, DCS and pc programming?
Probably not at the price.

SFD301 Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 2007 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio, runs hot  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great value!!! No fan, makes the radio run hot with full power and about a 30 minute QSO. "Heat" comes up on the display. I'll add a fan to help cool the heat sink. Other than that it works great for what it is. I won a 50/50 at a local hamfest, so can't complain much about a free radio.

N9UPC Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2007 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Radio's hot physically but not function wise!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this radio due to the fact that I had Yaesu's in the past and all radios were good (except the FT-90). But, this radio is a little on the poor side.

Now the price was good and out of the box was easy to get on the air with just a power connection and antenna connection. However, that was the end of it.

- The scan feature is really nice and fast but when it hits a station that does not match PL/DPL it bogs the scan speed down.
- To take a channel out of the scan list is somewhat of a little chore and there is no temp delete of some sort.
- Freq splits for odd split repeaters do not do to good. (We have an emergency reepater setup on Rx of 145.325 and input 147.405 and it does not work right. My other yaesu's do fine just not this one.)
- Finally radio heats up big time with extensive usage which concerns me since there is no mounted cooling fan!

All in all I think the basic ham/user would find this rig a value and great starter rig. However, for the advanced user who wants a rig to be somewhat versitile may find this one a little poor.