Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | EZ Hang Help

Reviews Summary for EZ Hang
EZ Hang Reviews: 25 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: The perfect tool when you want to put up a wire antenna easily, quickly and safely! EZ HANG can be used to "shoot" a line over a tree or other object over 100 feet high.
More info: http://www.ezhang.com/

You can write your own review of the EZ Hang.

KD0ZV Rating: 2/5 Jul 3, 2017 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Works but quality is marginal  Time owned: more than 12 months
A launcher like this is a handy thing and works well when it works. The reel that ships with this unit is cheap and started falling apart the first use. The tubing for slingshot broke the second use. Was about 1 1/2 years old. Might be typical for this type of tubing though.

I have not found a good use for tennis balls. Might help coming down through branches but has not proven to be the case.

K6SDW Rating: 3/5 Jun 6, 2016 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Once modified  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine several years now. In the beginning I had lot'sa trouble with the release of the weight and line! Drove me crazy and I put the EZ Hang away.

Recently I tried using it again with the same results. Talking with a friend that's a crazy fisherman he made a comment about the reel. Dennis convinced me into buying a better reel and WTF mine now works great!! Dennis said the reel that came with my original EZ Hang is an el cheapo model and to throw it away......

So, now I can reliability shoot lines over tall trees and not go crazy.

Cheers All

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2016 05:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the EZ Hang for several years and used it hanging mine and my friends antennas. I have been well satisfied with its performance. Great Tool!

Mike, WM4RB

NU1O Rating: 0/5 Jun 5, 2016 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Avoid this product!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased an EZ Hang and after three shots the fishing reel broke.

The fishing reel looks like it cost $5.

Save your money and buy an air gun. It's also a lot safer. Be VERY careful when using this device. It's not hard to see how somebody could be severely injured using this product.

Also be aware these are illegal in some states.

WA3AMH Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2013 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Got The Job Done  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the EZ Hang Hyper version. I live on a small to medium size city lot with some 80 foot trees around two sides of my lot. Over the course of a month I used the Hyper to help put up and tune five 1/2 wave dipoles for 80 - 10 meters ranging in height from 25 feet to 60 feet, strung between and among trees and my home. RG8X feedlines were used to keep these lines small. The EZ Hang weights worked very well after some practice; I never lost a one. I was unable to get the tennis balls to work....I must have been doing something wrong; fortunately I was careful and never got close to any neighbors house using the weight. The red fishing line supplied worked OK, but I soon replaced it with a stonger clear fishing line which was easier to spot when the sunlight hit it, was easier to string through the tree limbs, and did not tangle as much.

In terms of results, I just finished the ARRL Sweepstakes I using low power (75 watts), 60 year old ham gear and my 5 stealth dipole antennas. Out of the 83 sections, I worked 79 sections on CW in about 15 hours; on phone I had a "clean sweep" with 625 contacts and operated almost full time. Band conditions were good, and all five dipoles were used and worked well. Almost didn't build the last dipole, but was very glad I went ahead and finished this one for 10 meters since this band provided several multipliers, including the last section, Newfoundland/Labrador, on phone.

A bonus application is that local birds also appreciate the new hardware in the air since they are now using the feedlines to perch on over the winter. Several of our bird feeders are only about 10 feet from three of the feedlines. My XYL especially likes this feature, helping keep everyone, including the birds, happy. Happy is good.

73's Gary....WR3R

K1HC Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 10:03 Send this review to a friend
Very Useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am just back from helping another ham put the end of a G5RV back up in a tree, thanks to the EZ-Hang. Up on the first try. I have used it in my own yard on several trees. Sometimes you get lucky and hit the right branch, but sometimes it takes a few tries. Sometimes the fishing line breaks, but most times it does not. I use the tennis balls rather than the weights because of lost weights on a few tries. The tennis ball attachment works just fine for my pine trees which are 60-65 feet in height.

AC2MP Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2011 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Need to figure out the spool first  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my EZ Hang only yesterday, and have since been entangled in the spool and the line. The instructions on the EZhang website are really frugal, like someone writing a telegram.

Anyway - great product, works great, I got one line up before it started to rain and I am back in. YOu really need to know how to open the spool because the line really does get entangled if it is not under tension while winding back. Worse, it gets wound either behind or in front of the spool, ie not where it should go. THat means it gets stuck at that point when you fire the next shot, the line doesn't go freely and either it breaks mid-air, or shoots right back at you like a bullet because it got stuck.

FOr someone who has never used a fishing line before (like me), figuring out how to open the thing to unentangle the line is a challenge. No instructions on EZHang (they should really put a tutorial up with pictures) or on Zebco's website. Anyway after a good battle I ultimately figured it out, and hope to get out soon after the rain stops.

Also shooting angle is important. Shoot at something like 85 degrees vertical, else the line will wrap the whole tree while all you need is a single limb.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2010 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these at Dayton 2009 for use at a summer rental cottage. I agree wholeheatedly with the comment that it takes some practice to get familiar with it, but it is not difficult to master. I usually just put up a 40M dipole and I have never had my temporary antenna higher or better situated than when I started using the EZ Hang. This last summer I hit both spots I wanted on the first try, so the learning curve really isn't too bad. I have also used it a few times for Field Day too. I does what it was designed to do quite well and I am glad to have one.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2010 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Its ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does work, but you have to practice before getting the hang of it....however, there's a much much better way to go....a friend built one of the compressed air potato guns and it easily (I mean easily) shoots a line 100' in the air, or less by using less air pressure.

The "Spud gun" runs circles around slingshots and you can find plans to build your own on the Internet.

Cheers All...

WU1Z Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2010 16:27 Send this review to a friend
GOOD PRODUCT  Time owned: months
I have seen one and used it and it worked well. Its a good product. However rather than buy one I did make my own version and it works well also. So yes, people can and do make their own. I see no problem buying an EZ HANG though. From what I have read its a good product and a good company as well. Its all good. :)