Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | EZ Hang Help

Reviews Summary for EZ Hang
EZ Hang Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: The perfect tool when you want to put up a wire antenna easily, quickly and safely! EZ HANG can be used to "shoot" a line over a tree or other object over 100 feet high.
More info: http://www.ezhang.com/

You can write your own review of the EZ Hang.

K8WV Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2009 21:14 Send this review to a friend
I love this thing!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Using the EZ Hang is the easiest way to put up an antenna that I can imagine.

As background, I have NO experience with either slingshots or fishing reels. So, I had a bit of a learning curve. That is, my first experience wasn't exactly positive - at least not until I figured out how the reel worked, and what I was doing wrong. Spend some time learning about the Zebco reel. Simply put, there is nothing wrong with the reel. It is sufficient for the purpose.

Does the EZ Hang cost too much. No. Can you buy the parts and put the kit together yourself, cheaper? Maybe. But the slingshot is well thought out, and you can spend a great deal of time running around gathering up the other items. I'd rather be putting up antennas than driving around looking for parts.

Just this evening I found that my 40-80 trap dipole was a casualty of some recent very high winds. I had to replace one support rope. In a total time of 1 hour, I replaced the broken rope, secured the antenna, cleaned up the "mess," put the EZ Hang away, and had worked two DX stations on 40.

There are perhaps better tools for erecting wire antennas in trees, but my tallest tree is only 80 feet (!) tall and this works for me. I expect it can handle 100 foot trees easily. I also find a lot of other uses for it, too. But, that's a different story.

I got the kit, and I'm glad I did. I highly recommend this produce!

N2DTS Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2009 17:31 Send this review to a friend
great1  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was putting up a new antenna (alpha delta dx-lb-plus and needed to get one end up higher than the G5rv was, when i was 20 years younger and about 30 pounds lighter, I climbed the cedar tree (its like a mast on a ship), but its winter and I am done climbing trees.
I dont know what happened to the instructions, but I figured it out, one shot, my first and it went right where I wanted it, tied some heavy fishing line onto the thin stuff, then tied the antenna rope and pulled that up.
ONE shot, my first, and it went right where I wanted it, about 75 feet up!

What more can you ask for?

Brett
N2DTS

KB3CS Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2007 19:42 Send this review to a friend
wire antenna up 50ft and ready  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Both reviews by KE5KDA and WA2TCQ seem harsh in light of my experience with the EZ Hang tool (not the "EZ Hang Kit"). I supplied my own Mason's Line from Home Depot (500ft spool of florescent greenish 'string' on a winder just like what is shown as part of the "Kit").

I've done enough cast fishing to always remember to press the release button on the back of the reel first before flinging the lead fishing weight. Don't go increasing the drag setting either (the +/- wheel). The drag should be set easily halt the reel-in of the line if the weight gets stuck without breaking the line.

Grasp the weight firmly in the leather pouch. Adjust the position of the weight in the pouch until you're sure you've got a firm and stable grip on it. I grab it at the thicker end of the weight with the eyehook forward.

Pull the pouch back, stretching the bands only a couple inches. Aim for the sky. You'll want a high ballistic arc. It took very little band stretch to fire the 1/2 ounce weight more than 50feet up and 75feet downrange.

Reel back not more than about 5feet of monofilament - enough to lift the weight off the ground and leave it dangling in the air where you can go find it.

Tie a loop in the end of the Mason's Line and hook it on in place of the weight. Reel in the monofilament to thread the mason's line over your intended branch or along the canopy of your selected tree. You may need to unspool some of the mason's line to reduce reel-in drag. Sometimes releasing the monofilament and pulling back some of the mason's line is necessary. Take your time.

With the Mason's Line threaded and your chosen antenna support line attached, haul away to thread the support line in place so you can finally raise the antenna itself using the support line.

One other useful tool: a 10meter mast/pole - MFJ-1910. use it to push the ends of tree branches out of the way of the antenna or to nudge the wire clear of an inconveniently placed twig end of a branch or to guide a section of the antenna out of the way of an obstruction while you're raising it.

WA2TCQ Rating: 1/5 Jan 22, 2007 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Components  Time owned: more than 12 months
Disappointing. I first had to replace the line on the cheap Zebco reel because it was invisible once you got a shot off. I replaced it with a green monofilament 15lb test. It continually would misfire i.e. the lead weight and or line would foul in the rubber bands. The reel is as cheap as they get. I had to replace line frequently due to rats nests inside the reel. I would look for other options.

N2OAM Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2006 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Expensive, BUT.............  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It sure does work. I've tried surfcasting rods & a bow & arrow. The surfcasting rod works, but it takes many casts to get the line where you want it. Bow will do the job, but you need a day with NO wind, not even a breeze. And I get dirty looks from the looney left neighbor (wait till she sees my M14). It took me a total of five shots to get lines up over 2 trees, one a 70'++ tall pine tree. Now my Windom is up at about 60'. :>)

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Nov 28, 2006 10:28 Send this review to a friend
It works.... Once you learn how  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great concept. Great guys at the Ham Fest at their booth. I bought a kit, tried to get over a tree, jammed the reel and such. Gave them a call and they BROUGHT me a whole new kit, with extra weights.
Let a year lapse, leaves off the trees again, went out and spent 30 min learning to use a slingshotwithafishingreelattached. Yea, hard to read, not easy for me to do. But, I figured out how to "shoot a line". Got my Carolina Windom way up in the tree, this time, the first time.

KU2US Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2006 20:12 Send this review to a friend
FRUSTRATING BUT.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over 4 years. 5 reels, two elastic bands and about 50 fishing weights later, I have installed about 8 different antennas in my trees over a period of years. A word of thought, for those who live in the North East, wait till all of the leaves come off the trees in autumn. Less tangling. My cottonwood trees are about 100 ft. high-quite challenging but it works with practice. Make sure you paint the weights a bright red or yellow. To pricey now, but resonable when I bought mine.

KE5KDA Rating: 2/5 Nov 27, 2006 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Good idea, but cheap quality and high price...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sorry, but I just did not have a very good experience with this. To begin with, when you spend $89 for a clever gadget, you expect decent quality. Mine came with a Zebco 33 attached to it (by the way, not near the same quality Zebco 33 made years ago) with 10lb line. I was attempting to hang a Cobra Ultralite (which I love!) and the line broke many times pulling just the light dacron line through the tree. The real jammed several times and by the time I finally got everything working okay, I had run out of line. Very frustrating! So I loaded the real with 20lb line and managed to get the center ladder line up and one of the side wires, but when attempting the third and last line, the stupid real fell apart! You know how it is, you are working on a project and all you want to do is finish. Who wants to have to go buy another real when they just bought one attached to a sling shot for $89?! Anyway, in anger I tossed the whole shabang into the trash and piched up my duaghter's $10 bow and arrow and tied it to the 20lb string. It only took 1 try with the bow and arrow and I was up in 10 minutes verses the 2 hours of hassle with the expensive EZ Hang. The EZ Hang is a great idea, but needs work. Simply put, it needs a better real, stronger line and all around needs much better quality. I would have still been frustrated, but if I had paid $35 for this, I would have expected the so-so quality. I know others have had great experiences with this and am sorry that I can't say the same.

KD1CF Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2006 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one years ago (paid $50) - it is pricey now in my opinion. It works very well. One can get the hang of it in just a few tries. For a weight use a socket from a rachet set, not a rock - nice because you just thread the line through the hole in the socket. It is very easy to shoot 50+ feet in the air - plan your landing path. Maybe be illegal in some states because it is a slingshot.

AA2LD Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2005 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Nice concept  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used it to hang the central portion of my dipole. It is generally well built and the support is good (extra parts,etc.).
Warnings:
1. It is not 'legal' in some states (like New York where I live) because it's a slingshot
2. There is a very steep learning curve, and you may lose a few of the weights.
3. Take your time with the thing; it can be frustrating.
In summary, it's a good concept and execution.