Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Jackson Harbor Press Son Of Zerobeat Help

Reviews Summary for Jackson Harbor Press Son Of Zerobeat
Jackson Harbor Press Son Of Zerobeat Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Kit price (No manual) is $25 + $
Description: Son of Zerobeat has 7 LEDs which graphically indicate the frequency of a received CW audio tone. Adjust your transceiver's frequency until the center green LED lights and you are within +/- 10 Hz of zero beat with the transmitting station.
More info: http://wb9kzy.com/zerobeat.htm

You can write your own review of the Jackson Harbor Press Son Of Zerobeat.

N8KAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2014 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding, indispensable gear.  Time owned: more than 12 months
First Field Day as 15 CW station taught me the value of being dead on frequency. Contacts were hard, as no one seemed to hear me. A more seasoned veteran concluded that everyone was running their filters very tight, and I wasn't familiar with how to spot my DX-70 to my 650 Hz sidetone, nor do my ears do the perfect pitch thing. 650 Hz, 700 Hz, whatever. Not good.
†††††Found this kit, bought 2 of them in case the first one didn't turn out well. Easy build, instructions denied me any error-making. Haven't yet had to build the second one.
†††††Never did like Altoids, though fortunately I know enough people who do that I'm well-supplied with the tins. This kit fits perfectly. Careful measuring, marking, drilling and Dremel-cutting, and it is an attractive addition to the station, though it still says Altoids on it. Stealth mode.
†††††To make installation easier, I super-glued the rectangular LEDs together for easier parallel-bending the leads to fit the board. This produced the only drawback so far, as the illumination tends to bleed across the lamps. I keep planning to disassemble and insert some thin foil between them, but I've adapted to the way it works, so that project is on the back burner.
†††††This little fella has secured the Field Day contacts for the past five years now, as has thus secured its permanence in my station. Won't leave home without it; won't operate CW at home without it either.
†††††Solid, predictable, reliable. It's a hoot to watch the lightshow on SSB as well.

N8MFN Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2013 02:42 Send this review to a friend
Great kit easy to build and worked first time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recived my kit last week cant see very well so my 10 year old grand son was my eyes the kit went together in about 3 hrs used a 9v battery to power it made the conections and work perfect I used my ft897 that has a zero incdicater and they were spot on first time have used it with my ft817 all week great kit cant say enough for the price,ease of building and how well it works

KA9HJZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2011 08:28 Send this review to a friend
excellent kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
kit took me a couple of days because i made a big mistake but chuck told me what i did wrong and i completed it and it really works good. The PIC is a tough chip, even after the way i mistreated it, it still worked. i'm 74 years old and with shaky hands was able to build the kit.

N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2009 01:01 Send this review to a friend
A great add-on  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just built one of these for use with my Omni VII. It was a well spent $25 and the device works extremely well. TenTec has always made radios that do CW very well and I don't know why they never added this feature to their units. I got addicted to the zero-beat led on my Yaesu 897D and for me this is a lot easier than matching tones or tuning till you hear nothing and then cranking back the offset frequency like you did in the old days.

WA2SOC Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2009 04:19 Send this review to a friend
Great idea, works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have two of these and they are great. I almost wonder why manufacturers don't just build in something like this. Mine is connected to the constant level rear-panel audio out jack of the Omni VI/3; once the SoZB gain pot was adjusted it stays that way.

The only challenge is mounting the LEDs. I used round ones (Radio Shack sells a package of 20 for $2.99) spaced a little bit apart and connected to the board with a ribbon cable. I think it's easier to see the display that way.

Don't expect this to work with a dozen signals in the passband but if you crank in a few filters you can easily come within 10Hz of zero beat.

K8RBW Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2006 20:59 Send this review to a friend
Great for QRP  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is a marvelous way to acheive visual verification of zerobeating a CW signal with a series of LEDs, especially useful for QRP in these days of the down side of the sunspot cycle.
The most difficult part is mounting it in a project case. The board-mounted LEDs have to be lined up with a hole you make in the case while mounting the PC board. I am not the most agile person and managed to get the LEDs fairly close to a crude hole I had made with a series of drilled holes that were shaped with needle files. As I stated, the hole was pretty crude and I got tired of looking at it over a period of time. Consequently, I recently decided to dress it up a bit. I cut some shrink wrap tubing in half and glued a form of piping around the hole to form a frame around it. I also decided to use a Casio label maker with white on clear tape to label the case. Now that it is all dressed up it looks almost as good as it works.
A great product. Kudos to Chuck.
73 de Dick, K8RBW

W6KIP Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2005 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Lets my eyes help my ears.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm challenged when it comes to kit building. I'm sure this would be very simple for most people. I put it together in an afternoon - and spent a week trying to troubleshoot all the bad solder joints and butchery I'd performed on this little circuit board. (I burned it from overheating and bridged about everything that could be bridged.) Chuck Olson, WB9KZY, responded as soon as I emailed. He said "Don't worry, we'll get the kit working!" then was there every step of way until it was.

Operating with Son of Zerobeat makes tuning a breeze. My hearing is impaired from years of working near noisy presses. Zeroing in on an HF signal can be a real challenge and the gear I'm running doesn't have anything to do it for me. Son of Zerobeat takes care of all that. Flick it on. Tune for a CW signal then twist the VFO until I see the green LED. Could it be any easier? I swear I'm having better luck making QRP contacts since adding Zerobeat to the station. All that aside, it's fun watching the lights sweep up and down in sequence as I tune through a band.

I built it. It works. It makes operating easier and more successful. And I feel proud when I look at it. Maybe the best $27.00 Iíve spent in ham radio. With the quality of the kit and the great support from WB9KZY, you can bet Iíll be building more Jackson Harbor kits.

Kip Williams