Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | Weller Soldering Guns Help

Reviews Summary for Weller Soldering Guns
Weller Soldering Guns Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Weller Soldering Guns

You can write your own review of the Weller Soldering Guns.

WB0MCO Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2014 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Weller Soldering Guns  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used them for over 40 years.They have several
models ranging up to 325 watts. All have worked without a problem. I like buying them second handed at flee markets from those that have not read the manual on how to install and maintain the tip correctly for heat transfer. Not for
circuit board work but good for PL259 and large parts.
A Great product that has been around for many years.

N7SCC Rating: 0/5 Jun 6, 2014 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Save your Money!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Looking for a constant hot Soldering Gun made by a quality company-- I chose Weller. Wanting to solder PL-259's and outdoor Antenna AWG 18 - 14; I purchased their model 60-100 watts. Bad decision! Discovered that "soldering gun" is not made for more than 1 minute on at high temp(100 watts) and 1 minute off-- Couldn't heat up Antenna wire/parts, much less the PL-259's I wanted to make. Go for the soldering irons NOT the soldering guns! My Weller soldering gun shorted out at the tip while under 100 watts--and worthless supplied tips by the way; If you want to solder low wattage like: 40 watts buy their soldering iron product--NOT their soldering gun! Better still: for more than 40 watts buy the best: American Beauty soldering irons-- they are made to be used on hardware and stay at constant temperture on Antennas and parts. Spend more money for quality! Don't waste your money on a "soldering gun"; a worthless product from Weller! I took mine back and got my 35.00 dollars back! I'm buying American Beauty soldering iron(s) from DX Engineering!

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Old = Good!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow...reading the reviews, everyone likes the old ones...nobody likes the new ones.
I have both! I had an old one...loved it...dropped it too many times, so bought a new replacement. Complete garbage! Not worth 50 cents! So, I made it a goal to find a new (old) one. Found about a dozen at local flea markets..all differant models. If it doesn't have the compression nuts to secure the tip...walk away!!

K2CBI Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2011 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Keeps going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't know the model number of my old Weller gun - I've had it for way over 50 years. About 120 Watts. The only maintenance ever needed was to replace the ancient line plug with a more modern version.

Does anyone know if the manufacturer now is the same one as in the 50s?

K4IRC Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2011 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Great guns!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 8200 in 1964 and it still works great. My dad used both the 8200 and the 550 in his TV service business for all but printed circuit work. In my experience if you want them to work make sure to tighten the tip connections every time. If you don't do that then don't blame the product if it doesn't work.

K7TCE Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2009 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Can't do without  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for at least 35 years, works as good now as it ever did. The only thing I'd add to the discussion is that I used to take off the tip, wrap a cloth around the gun and degauss my color tv CRTs with it!

K1CJS Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2009 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Good choice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had an old style 8200 with the tip nuts for going on forty years, and it is the best! I prefer it over a soldering iron for many chores, and I even attach PL259s with it. In any event, I prefer guns to irons, and they're easier and better to use--once you learn how to use them!

HC2AD Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2009 07:23 Send this review to a friend
The old one is a 5.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My father gave me a gift as my first electronic tool at 12 years old ... a Weller 8200. After 25 years it still works as new (probably one of my older tools). This is the older vs.
Last year i bought a 75w vs. with screws to secure the tip.. it worked 1 month and then just some warm to heath the coffe...
so.. older ones rules...
new ones... mmm.... pass. I put a 5 considering we are evaluating the 8200 model.

KB0XR Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2009 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Just like the Energizer Bunny  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is at least 30 years old. It has survived many falls to the concrete. Still hums along just like new. I bought the new version a couple of years ago, but it's never been opened. My original will probably outlive me.

VA6LJH Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2009 20:46 Send this review to a friend
older is better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one 8200 since the early 70's and have used the D550 at work. I have replaced the case on the 8200 due to many drops, and 1 switch. There were 3 versions of both the 8200 and the D550. The ones with the tip nuts threaded into the conductors are the best. Then Weller cheapened the guns by retaining the tip with a screw threaded into the conductor. The conductor metal is soft so inevitably the threads stripped and ruined the gun. Weller compromised by putting a tougher metal collar around the conductor and threaded hex screws into it.
This brings us to the problem. The 8200 iron is putting over 250 amps through the tip. (100 watts input, .3VAC output, approximately 80% efficiency) This requires very low resistance contacts for the conductor to tip connections. Usually the tip nuts or screws have to be loosened and tightened quite often during the life of the tip, the screws more often then the nuts. When this is done, the guns will heat faster and handle larger conductors then any station I have worked with yet, although my WD1000 will give the 8200 a good run.
The label on the older 8200 and probably the D550 specify a 1minute on, 4 minutes off, duty cycle. This limitation in design was most likely to keep the weight of the guns to a tolerable level.
For the purpose of the design and the way the compromises were handled, I would give the tip nut ones a 5, the screw retainer ones a 2 and the present ones a 4.
John