Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Accessories | Weller Soldering Guns Help

Reviews Summary for Weller Soldering Guns
Weller Soldering Guns Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Weller Soldering Guns

You can write your own review of the Weller Soldering Guns.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2009 17:24 Send this review to a friend
2 versions?  Time owned: more than 12 months
In reading the rest of the reviews, maybe there are 2 versions of this gun? The old ones with the 3/8 compression nuts that work very well, (I have 2 of those) and maybe the new one's made of plastic that have small screws, that don't work well? Seems that the new guys all curse them and old guys like me like them! I guess it wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer has "cheapened up" the product.

WY3X Rating: 3/5 Aug 17, 2009 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Body gets too hot too quickly  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I set up my tower, I used my old faithful Weller 240 watt gun to attach all the coax connectors. There was a mix of PL-259 and type "N". Each run of coax had a lightning arrestor at the base of the tower, which doubled the number of connectors. I also had a couple of power dividers on my VHF and UHF antennas. All in all, I had around 30 connectors to install. After about the fourth connector, I had to give the gun a break or risk burning my hand! I found that if you mount a muffin fan with a grill on suction cups, you can place it on any hard, flat surface and let it blow up into the air. In between connectors, place the gun on top of the fan so that air blows through the slots in the handle. You can get another couple of connectors on this way before having to leave the gun to sit and cool for awhile. Perhaps I don't understand the physics of the thing, but I don't know why they can't make a 100% duty cycle gun that doesn't overheat!

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2009 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had 2 of them for about 20 years. or more.
they are both still going strong.. when they won't get hot you use a 3/8 wrench and tighten the He** out of the compression nuts. you don't smash it. It is very hard to smash anyway. I have dropped mine many times.

Jim
K0UA

KI4WCQ Rating: 1/5 Aug 17, 2009 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Always was a POS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the model 8200 140/100 watt version. It never would heat up as well as my 25 watt and 35 watt irons. I never started a job with it that didn't aggravate me and result in me finishing it with one of the smaller irons. I give it a 1 due to the ruggedness of its case. It took three good attempts for me to completely smash it against my patio a few minutes ago. I will never again waste money on a Weller item.

N0XAS Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2006 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Does the job well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tomorrow I'll be finishing the ground system for my new antenna, soldering #14 wire and chicken wire mesh to a wide ground braid. Guess what I'll be using to do it... my Weller gun. I don't have to drag it out often, but when I do it works as well as it ever did. Yes, quality is down from what it was 40 years ago, same as with most things. But it still does the job, and does it well. Maybe not "Well-er" but "Well-enuf"!

OBSERVER11 Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2006 08:14 Send this review to a friend
just a tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
The old Weller gun is as obsolete as a 3 pound sledge hammer. Every tool has a proper use. The old Weller "welder" as I have always called mine, is great for soldering coax connectors, splicing 450 Ohm feed line, soldering #10 copper ground wire and putting connectors on heavy #10/12 red black zip cord that is included with modern higher power transceivers. A solder tool hint; when soldering the tip of the UHF type connector, push the tip between the contact points, where the tip is held with set screws, and hit the trigger. It gets hot, and very quick, now apply solder.

K4IA Rating: 3/5 Sep 13, 2006 06:56 Send this review to a friend
Obsolete  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are a blast from the past and not suitable for most of our needs. They get way too hot for the small solid state components we use today. On the other hand the small tips do not have enough thermal mass to heat something big like a coax connector. A simple 75 watt plumber's soldering iron with the tip as big as your thumb works best because it can heat the coax connector without losing all its own heat in the process.

If you want to join two #12 wires together, use the Weller. That is about all it is good for.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2006 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Also a Demagnetizer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have a tool that has inadvertently become magnetized, the old reliable Weller can save the day!

Temporarily replace the tip with a coil of about 2 feet of #10 wire. Turn on the gun, and move the tool back and forth in the coil while still holding onto the trigger. Completely remove the tool and then release the trigger. Voila, the tool is demagnetized.

Of course, if you want to magnetize the tool, just release the trigger while the tool is still in the coil.

Kind of neat for a science project for a kid also.

Dennis KG4RUL

WB6HZH Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2006 02:19 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable.. No shack should be without one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OH YES! This goes way back to when I was a kid...and I needed to repair some burn out wires in a Hallicrafter SX-42 and all I had was my father's Weller's Soldering Gun.

It was the original one with the Bakelite case, solder tip screw down BIG NUTS, and heavy as a boat anchor! When the tip wore out by splitting apart, I took 10 inches of #12 copper house wire, stripped off the insulation, bent it in half and bent a 1/4" leg at the ends and stuck it through the big NUTS and tighten it down with a pair of slip nose pliers... and Viola! .. a new soldering gun ... ready to go!

So the point is... get the OLD soldering gun with the BIG NUTS... you see them at garage sales every now and then!

KMB01 Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2006 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Ol' Solderubg Gun  Time owned: more than 12 months
My weller soldering gun was handed to me by my dad... and for 20 yrs or so... still working good, its a 8200 N - 100/140 watts... only maintenance is the tip, just change the tip and your ready to go... reliable & the best!!!

10-44s to Kabalikat Malaya Zambales