Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain AV-620 Six-Band Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain AV-620 Six-Band Vertical
Hy-Gain AV-620 Six-Band Vertical Reviews: 39 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $349.95
Description: Six-Band Vertical 20/17/15/12/10/6M, no traps, coils, radials, 1500W, 22.5 foot
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=AV-620

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AV-620 Six-Band Vertical.

N1RND Rating: 4/5 Jul 30, 2017 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Needs guying.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First the bad part. I live in New England on top of hill (great for radio). I did not guy the antenna and it was mounted in a tripod at the ridgeline of the roof. It was able to handle high winds no problem, its snow that was the problem. We had a typical New England "Nor'easter" with heavy wet snow blow from one direction and the next morning the base section just above the fiberglass had a 90 degree bend. I hoped that after the ice melted off that the antenna would stand up again but it did not.
Keep in mind that my antenna came with the updated mounting bracket which did hold up, unlike older versions as noted in older reviews.
I will either repair or replace the bottom section and put it back up and GUY it this time.

Now for the good.
No missing parts or miss drilled pieces. You should have some antenna assembly experience as it is tedious and you must pay attention to detail. The directions are not that bad, better than I've seen with some others. Check to see if the clear protective celophane was removed from the aluminium stand off brackets.
After assembling and tuning the antenna on the ground I installed on the roof and did have retune a few bands.
Operationally I found that if I could hear em, I could work em. Most of the time signal reports were about equal, even when the other station was running a bigger antenna.
I found the noise level to only be slightly higher than my dipole.
I never experienced any RF in the shack.
A previous reviewer said "it won't work below 20 even with a tuner" It's not suppose to and Hy-Gain doesn't recommend using a tuner to make it work on bands its not designed for because you can "melt" things.
If you want 40 and or 80 get the AV- 640/680. Keep in mind those two and bigger and heavier than the 620 and will require even more guying.

All in all I am still pleased with it and will be reinstalling it properly.

PE2KMV Rating: 1/5 Nov 15, 2015 21:07 Send this review to a friend
Good HF performance, flimsy construction  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
According to specs this antenna would stand 128 km/h wind speed. No way... Despite the use of guy-wires, the antenna didn't last one full year. Since the last storm it's on a 90 degree turn on the mast. The construction of the main beam is too thin for the mass of the part above with the rods for the different bands.

HF wise the antenna is really cool: after tuning it on the ground it went on to the mast. Afterward it could be used on 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 meter without tuner. I couldn't tell anything about 6m as I don't use that band. Dropping below 20 meter isn't possible either, even with tuner.

W2RS Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2015 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Really needs to be guyed  Time owned: more than 12 months
The good news: at least at my QTH in southern Arizona, the AV620 is a solid DX performer. Its low radiation angle really works, if the antenna is in the clear. Mine is installed on a 10-foot pipe mast.

The bad news: we don't get hurricanes or tornadoes here, but wind gusts of up to 40-50 mph are quite common. Thunderstorms can see winds of 60 mph.

The AV620 is rated to handle such winds without guying, but I've had two of them and both succumbed to metal fatigue after a couple of years. The AV620 and AV640 really need to be guyed.

JO7XVL Rating: 2/5 Dec 11, 2014 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Pay your money, take your chances...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ordered the AV620 from a stateside retailer that ships internationally. The delivery service in Japan heard loose parts inside, and took the precaution of opening the box to collect and re-bag dozens of nuts, bolt, etc. Without this courtesy, I might have left a trail of parts while carrying the box from work to home, about 2 km. It seems that sharp edges on the mast-mounting bracket cut into a small bag, causing the leak. More than 180 parts go into an AV620, so this is a serious matter.

Assembly takes time. Instructions are fairly detailed, but imperfect.

Hy-gain now uses off-the-shelf hardware store components as much as possible. This is a mixed blessing: more work for the buyer during assembly, but less reliance on factory work in Starkville, which lacks quality control (see my review of the MFJ 2289 Big Ear).

Received signals on 20-6 meters are generally stronger on my roof-mounted AV620 than on a 138' off-center-fed dipole at similar height. "If I hear 'em, I can work 'em" is a common but subjective and imprecise evaluation of many antennas. In the case of my AV620, the signal reports I get are generally 2 or more S-units below the reports that I give to stations in my 100 watt power class. I can't always work 'em when I hear 'em.

Hy-gain recommends Dacron guy lines for windy locations. I do not get the 80 mph winds that the AV620 is supposedly rated for, but I guyed it with some stretchy polyester that was on hand. The antenna has been in service more than one year, during which time the polyester lines have stretched and the antenna has bent just above the upper end of a fiberglass reinforcement at the base. Maybe the 80 mph rating refers to the antenna's breaking point rather than its trouble-free wind limit.

K4TCH Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2014 17:06 Send this review to a friend
It's a Vertical!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is second one of these that I have owned. I didn't keep the first very long because I had a beam up. The beam is gone (I do not want an antenna that I cannot put up and take down on my own if necessary)so I wanted a simple to mount and effective antenna for all the high bands. This is it! I mounted it on a 20 foot push up pole just above roof level. It provides a dead flat SWR on all bands and is ready to use without any trouble. It seams to get out quite well although the amount of background noise is considerably higher than my dipoles. If you need a simple antenna that works...this is a good one.

VY2REG Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2013 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Reconstruction  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave up on this antenna 2 years ago, it did not perform very well and finally broke. I left the disassembled antenna in my basement until one day I realized that I could use some of the parts to make a quarter wave 20 meter vertical. I attached it to the side of my deck about 10 FT above ground, used 4 elevated tuned radials. Now I have a really great 20M 1/4 wave vertical. SWR on 20 is almost 1 to 1. My Yaesu FT920 can tune it on all bands from 10 to 20 meters. I have made contacts around the world on all of these bands.

DL3MLP Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2012 06:48 Send this review to a friend
After 6 Month  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice vertical. I owned it for more than 6 month. In the beginning I wanted to buy the AV-640 but the AV-620 was a cheap buy. After the sunspot maximum, I will buy the AV-640. Because 40m is my favorite band for DX.

It was the first try to work more DX. With a little amp it worked very good for me. I'm living in a valley and I worked YB, VK and so on which I never heard before.

The antenna was mounted on the roof at about 30 feet. Every time the wind was blowing, the antenna was very loud in the house. The radials made very much noise.

Now I replaced it by a MA5B MiniBeam. It works a little bit better.

K8GCU Rating: 3/5 Jan 30, 2012 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Missing parts, bad solder joints....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna works fine, however the quality control of the required items just plain sucks! Customer service was nice (Ronald), but a day late and a dollar short. Caution when buying one. I would recommend that you open the box and do a complete inventory before you plan on putting it together or you might just waist alot of time like I did.

The following items where missing:
1 each - Part number 810-0620-11, Stub Section 1/4" x 24", ID number "CL"
1 each - Part number 758-9200, 2 1/2" U-Bolt Assembly SS, ID number "UB"
2 each - Part number 808-1785-6, Mast Plate, ID number "MP"
1 each - Part number 738-2602, 180 Degree Stub Spacer, ID number "P2"

The following item was defective:
Part number 80-AV620-1, AV620 Matching Unit, ID number "NW" - the solder joints inside the matching unit on the coax connector were both "cold" and had to be re-soldered

Since the 1/4" x 24" tube was not included the "linear loading assembly" could not be completed.

Since the 2 1/2" U-Bolt assembly was missing it could not be mounted to the pole.

WA2RSB Rating: 3/5 Dec 2, 2011 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Works OK, But......  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna took the better part of a day to assemble mainly because many steps in the instruction manual were unclear and confusing.
Once assembled, it was mounted on the roof of a ranch home in a very snowy, icey, windy area of the Pocono mountains. After the first very windy icey winter, I discovered that two of the black standoffs cracked into two pieces, and broke away from the antenna. To replace these standoffs meant I would have to take the whole antenna apart. Lucky for me, one of my friends was able to fabricate two new insulators made out of heavy plexiglass. He attached them to the antenna without taking it apart. So far thesse replacement standoffs are working out OK. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
The antenna worked fine once mounted on the roof. All SWR's were within spec for all bands.
I gave it a 3 because of the terrible assembly manual and the problem that I had with these two standoff insulators cracking.

LA5RT Rating: 3/5 Oct 2, 2011 00:33 Send this review to a friend
At this price, I would have expected everything to fit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Greetings. I just received and assembled this antenna.I bought this antenna for us dollar 600 at my local store here in Scandinavia.The only reason I didnt send it back to seller is what Ive read of its good performance.

In bag 1 :
Manual tells:
2 x partno: 656-1750S, 6-32 x 13/4" Screw SS.
Physical screws are 6-32 x 1-3/4" Screw SS.

The below is not what I would call good craftmanship
[url]http://home.broadpark.no/~jeik2/bilder/bilde3b.jpg[/url]

Smaller parts was easy to sort out:
[url]

There is wrong perspective in FIGURE C, manual, sketch at top right of manual sheet.

Its very difficult to get perspective view correct between the sketch in FIGURE B and skectch at midpoint of FIGURE C as it seemes drawer has rotated antenna between drawing theese two sketches.
This is what confused me most in assembling.

In FIGURE F, Linear load. CK er screw doesn't enter more than half way into CK.
The length of CK doesnt fit in (too long).(Asuming length of CL is correct.

My judgement is just from assembly. From what Ive read elsewhere regarding performance, Ill give it a strong 3 or weak 4. The service was ok, but I had to pay for freight when returning bad parts.

Some pictures of assembly: