Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain AV620 Six Band Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain AV620 Six Band Vertical
Hy-Gain AV620 Six Band Vertical Reviews: 38 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $259.00
Description: 6 - 20m vertical, no- traps, coils, radials, 1500W, 22.5 foot
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/index.htm

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AV620 Six Band Vertical.

VY2REG Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2010 17:20 Send this review to a friend
2 Year update  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a 2 year update. The antenna developed a bend at the upper insulator after about a year. Finally got around to taking it down today. Found out that upper insulation pipe was worn at one end and broken so that it did not extend down far enough inside the antenna pipe. Also one of the loading brackets had snapped. SHODDY MFJ MATERIAL AND WORKMANSHIP

I think the upper insulating pipe should be about 24 inches long and should extend well into the antenna pipe to prevent bending.

VE1NB Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2010 13:06 Send this review to a friend
works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Took a day to put it all togother. This included tidying up some of the pre drilled holes to match each piece. Also, a couple runs to the hardware store to replace missing/incorrect hardware. The usual MFJ quality control issue.

Took another day to get it up. Installed on an 8 foot mast, above ground, with three sets of guy ropes due to the expected winter weather conditions.

Tuned up as per specification, and required minimum readjustment from stated manual setting. Though one must read the manual carefully, due to some mistakes that take a little logical thinking to correct.

Its performance is as expected. And, fills in a requirement here for coverage on the higher HF bands. First crack with it, worked 20 countries on 17 m in 45 minutes.

I would recommend this antenna to others. With the Cavaet that you must work around the MFJ quality control and manual issues.

I also use an MFJ 1793 vertical here. And would say much the same about it as well.

brgds / VE1NB

K8OPV Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2009 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this ant. new in 2000 and put it on an outbuilding where the bottom is 25' up using a small 3' roof tower. It was guyed with nylon line about a third of the way from the top and it has performed flawlessly since. There have been several 50-70 knot winds and lots of ice, but no damage. The SWR on all bands is close enough that I can use the autotuner in my rig.

N9VR Rating: 4/5 Aug 23, 2009 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The assembly isn't bad, other than having to re-drill a half a dozen holes that were off center from the factory. SWR came out very good untill I raised it up to 45'. Then the 20 meter band was lost. Lowered it back down, added some length to the top and raised er' back up. Works well on all bands now. I have it sitting on top of a T6 Log and it performs as well as the log in most cases. This antenna sure bends in the wind though, so far so good but still wonder how long it will last.

Bill N9VR

IW0GVG Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2009 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mounted the AV620 antenna at 5 feet above ground.

SWR measurement(SSB point):
20 mt 1.5
17 mt 1.6
15 mt 1.8
12 mt 1.3
10 mt 1.3
6 mt 1.2

My strument is Diamond SX-200
I have a Icom IC706 MKII with only 100 watts.
I used guys the center radiator.

The result is very satisfactory.
Good antenna.

W8MIS Rating: 1/5 Apr 6, 2009 12:17 Send this review to a friend
No Wet Snow/Ice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Put this antenna up last fall. Seemed to be a little flimsy but looking are specs seemed it may work. Worked nicely on the bands, but in the wind sure looked like could bend. Only a slight curve when winds would subside. However this week we had some heavy snow and some freezing and it has a very bad bend that will not come back. I supect that the design is not would it should bet it will break soon. Beware in ice/snow conditons.

DH4SC Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2009 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good antenna wich allows you to work a lot of DX stations. Good radiation angle. The AV-620 is made of very good materials and has a nice and strong design. The SWR on all bands is excellent and can be setup very easy. But you should spend a little more time to have a perfect setup especially when the antenna is roof mounted. The AV-620 should be guyed with light nylon ropes when mounted on a high or windy location.
The antenna is well done at all but some of the holes for the scews were drilled not as exactly as they should be. No problem to fix this little mistake but MFJ should improve their quality control!!!

KV9L Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2009 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased it used for $75 and this antenna replaced my A99 recently. All I can say it was a huge improvement both locally and DX wise. I almost didn't install the 620 as I have a Gap Titan that could have went up as well, the Gap isn't going up as the 620 is a keeper.

The construction of the antenna is fine, sways a bit but it is sturdy. If you are looking for multi-band vertical that needs to be elevated fairly high off the ground... I say this one fits the bill quite well. Very happy with it.

KK5DR Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2008 07:10 Send this review to a friend
Performs, if mounted high.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the AV620 as an interum antenna until I build a new beam, but after using it and finding that it performs very well, even for a vertical, I might keep it up permenantly.
I like the design of no traps, coils, capacitors, or other lossy tuning systems, the tunable stub system is easy to adjust and independent for each band, however, the hardware is somewhat complex to install. The manual was OK, if you pay little to no attention to the text, and use the drawings to construct it.
I mounted mine at 60 feet above the ground to the base of the vertical, the top of the antenna is at about 83 feet off the ground. It performs very, very well on all the bands I tested it on, near equal to the beam it replaced.
I did have a problem with 20 meter tuning, the tunable element was far too short to allow the center resonante point to be in the middle of the band, I had to add a 9 inch long tube to the top, and now it works fine. I think it might be due to the height above ground that I mounted it, de-tuning the vertical.
As I get older, climbing towers and handling big beams is getting very difficult, so this vertical might be the way I need to go to make it easier to maintain, since the vertical is light weight and easy to handle. The key to making a vertical perform is to mount it as high as possible, even if it has little to no gain, it will perform when it is at or above one wavelength (at 20M) above the ground.
The AV620 is DC grounded to the coax shield and the mast mounting bracket, via an RF choke inside the matching network box. It is possible that a nearby lightening strike can blow out this choke, so to check that the choke is good, place an ohmmeter across the coax input in the shack, it should read below 1 ohm, if it reads a very high resistance, the choke is open and should be replaced. This check should be done at least once a year, or more if your area has lots of thunderstorms. Be sure to completely disconnect the vertical whenever a storm is expected in the area.
If your the type of ham that dislikes traps, or coils on your antennas, the AV620 will make you smile, and even better, it actually works.

K9GTJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2008 09:07 Send this review to a friend
More Than One Year Later - Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been more than one year since I installed my antenna and I want to take a moment to review it again.

The antenna is still working flawlessly after a harsh Indiana winter and some very active spring/summer storms. The SWR was easy to tune during assembly and has remained tuned.

One concern I have seen mentioned is how flexible the antenna is and after several strong thunderstorms and winds over 50 MPH, the antenna sways but has never been damaged.

So how does it do? I use it mainly on 6, 10, and 20 meters and I have made contacts all over the US and Canada.

It doesn’t require anything more than the built-in tuner on my Icom 746Pro to keep the SWR perfect even in rain and snow conditions.

Other than the very poor assembly manual (with an excellent chart for SWR tuning), it has been a great antenna that requires no ground radials and can mount on the roof a home on a small lot.

http://www.ap1.net/antenna/ground.jpg & http://www.ap1.net/antenna/roof.jpg