Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Orion II Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Orion II
Ten-Tec Orion II Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $4295.00 With Internal Tuner
Description: Premium High-End HF Transceiver
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Orion II.

K3UR Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 18:01 Send this review to a friend
THE INCOMPARABLE ORION II  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After owning 19 HF radios in the past 36 years, I have found that my Orion II ranks at the top. To make a point, I sold my Yaesu FTdx5000MP that cost much more money.

As Net Control for the TEN-TEC 40 meter and 20 meter SSB Nets, I have checked in hundreths of Orion II radios and everyone has sounded excellent and all were completly satisfied with the all around performance of these radios.

The Orion II has an excellent close-in dynamic range and with the programable AGC, I can hear many of the weak stations that check into our nets.

The second receiver and the ability to use 3 antennas, makes the Orion II a DX'ers dream. The menus are very easy to set up and can be tailored to a persons preference.

I have been the Setup Specialist for the W2IHY Audio Gear for many years and the Orion II exceeds all expectations for mellifluous transmit audio. It is easy to EQ amd the receiver is fantastic. The headphones monitor circuit is outstanding and allows all of the lows, mids and highs to be heard. It also has the option of listening in stereo.

The autotuner is fast and quiet and upgrading to the latest version is quick and easy via the internet.

When anyone searches all of the various groups that sell used radios, you will seldom see an Orion II for sale.

The Orion II has exceeded all of my expectations and is the best all around HF radio in its orice class. In many ways it outperforms some of the higher price radios.

You can see my Orion II set up in my ham shack on QRZ http:www.qrz.com/db/k3ur and other pictures of it on the TEN-TEC Radio Net Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ten_tec_radio_net

Among the many advantages of owning a TEN-TEC product is they are made in America, near the Smokey Mountains in Sevierville, TN. I have been to the TEN-TEC production facility and have been given a complete tour of the production plant and have see these radios being built from start to finish.

The TEN-TEC staff are some of the friendliest down to earth people and truly care about their customers. They are also very knowledgeable and are Amateur Radio Operators just like us.

As a TEN-TEC Ambassador and Net Control of the TEN-TEC 20 meter and 40 meter SSB nets, I can give both the Orion II and the TEN-TEC company my highest ratings.

Come join us each Sunday afternoon on the TEN=TEC SSB Nets. The 40 meter net starts at 19:00 UTC (3 PM Eastern Time)on 7.261 and the 20 meter net follows at 20:00 UTC (4 PM Eastern Time) on 14.325. Thank you.

John Occhipinti, K3UR
Net Control, TEN-TEC SSB Nets

WA1SEO Rating: 3/5 Feb 22, 2013 05:49 Send this review to a friend
5 Year Wrap-up...Sold  Time owned: more than 12 months
In my previous review of the Orion 2, I gave it a 5. After 5 years of ownership, I am revising it down to a 3 for the following reasons: The firmware updates have taken forever. After they are released, there have been some bugs that take even longer to be resolved and some still are not. Most of the bugs are not caught by the "beta testers" and I've had to expend too much energy to devise tests to demonstrate the issues. The radio needs an internal fan to keep the electronics cooler. Performance wise, the radio is excellent but if you demand the performance AND support that should come with the price, the Orion 2 is just OK.

After dealing with the frustration of not getting simple and easy to fix quirks resolved, I sold it.

IZ5DKJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2013 09:11 Send this review to a friend
A true radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had many of the best radio on my desk,
of different brands and different models but the Ten Tec ORION II
It is certainly the most interesting machine to perform activities contest/dx.
It has many things in favor compared to the JAP, for example:
High selectivity, never felt in other radio.
Ease of use and ease of understanding of the menus.
Optimal ergonomics.
Sensitivity and low noise really impressive.

Just learn to use it to understand that we are in front of a transceiver
as a philosophy and as a really functioning at peak performance,
I can certainly advise you to those who want to make radio activity to the highest level.

There are also aspects that could improve, for example would be useful
also have six metres, it would be useful to include a bar graph for the cw tune
How have the yaesu.

Long live the Ten Tec!

73 Simone IZ5DKJ

AC5DF Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfull Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Ten Tec Orion 2 is a fantastic radio here in my shack. In comparison to other top end rigs I have owned, the Orion 2 is a hard core excellent working radio that makes me wonder where do they go from here. The nostalgic sounding modern receivers are my greatest pleasure with this rig let alone the modern features it has that satisfies my desires in a radio. It is truly a beautiful rig in its own way. Just installed Version 3.033xa firmware into it and it just keeps on getting better. With out being long winded I want you all to know I highly recommend the Ten Tec Orion 2 Radio. Terry AC5DF.

N7SG Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2012 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Beautiful Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Orion II continues to amaze me! Listening fatigue is a thing of the past, something that once plagued me with high end rigs from overseas. At last, NR that nails noise hands down, especially super on CW when you narrow BW and kick in SAF. No radio in my recent past comes close! The noise floor just disappears. Signals are crisp and clear with no distortion.

The key to this truly flexible radio is to read the manual. A clear understanding of how to use the radio will reward you! The radio is customizable giving you, the owner, the ability to tailor almost every variable. This, too, might lead some to frustration when learning something new. Again, read the manual and explore every menu option...take your time...you won't be disappointed.

Ergonomics are super; aesthetically the radio is spectacular! Not only is the S meter accurate as any S meter can be, it's analog! And its golden glow is reminiscent of a high end tube rig of yesteryear...

The LCD display is easy to read and supplies information in a logical fashion. The band scope gives you a quick indication of activity on the band with several adjustable widths. I find I still listen with my ears and not my eyes, so any band scope is just icing on the cake...

The Orion II is a lot of radio...and a bargain for the level of performance it delivers. I am very pleased with the O2 and highly recommend it!

K7NG Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2012 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Comparison to the TS950sd  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I donít want to repeat more than necessary regarding the Orion-II impressions I have. I have critically compared it to a TS-950SD and have some findings in that regard that may be informative:

Main receiver.
- The TS950ís main receiver has a 12-15 KHz roofing filter followed by cascaded narrow filters in two more IFs. The Orionís main receiver has selectable roofing filters and the rest of the selectivity comes from its DSP. The difference under crowded-band conditions is significant and readily noticeable. Assuming I had selected a roofing filter in the Orion that approximately matched the width of the mode I was using, I could hear and work weak stations nearly adjacent to strong ones, even in between strong ones. On the TS950 this was generally not possible. The TS950 has an enormous amount of narrowband rejection, but if one or more very strong stations get inside the roofing filter bandwidth, clicks, pops, and buzzes show up that can obscure and make copying a weak station very difficult.
- It was harder to use the really narrow TS950 filter (a 250 Hz. Kenwood 455 KHz filter) because of ringing. The DSP filters in the Orion are, probably, finite-impulse-response (FIR) type and they donít ring as much as crystal or IIR filters do.
- Having very adjustable AGC characteristics also made using the Orion easier under these same conditions than the TS950, which has four predetermined AGC choices. (I include ĎOFFí as one of the choices). High and low cut, PBT, manual notch are available on both. DSP is not present in the TS950, so the selection of bandwidth was limited but not generally found to be a problem, but auto-notch, SAF (audio peaking), and noise reduction were only available on the Orion.
- Under less demanding conditions (working the strong ones, for instance) or working on a less crowded and Ďbusyí band, where you probably wouldnít be needing to mess with some of these functions, either receiver works fine on any mode. The Orionís AGC and Rx audio equalizer make armchair receiving a little more mellow, perhaps.
Orion wins.

Subreceiver.
- Both the Orion in the Ďvanillaí configuration and the TS-950 have subreceivers of different architecture and capability than their main receivers.
- On the TS950 the subreceiver only works on SSB or CW mode and has no choice of selectivity. The Orionís subreceiver is of conventional upconversion design, lacks selectable roofing filters, but works on any mode. The Orionís main receiver is NOT general-coverage, but the subreceiver is. The TS950 subreceiver, besides being limited to SSB and CW in a SSB filter bandwidth, is constrained to listen only in the same band that the main receiver is tuned to, as they share the preselector filter. It is possible to make the TS950 subreceiver listen elsewhere, but it wonít be sensitive because of the preselector.
- I found my particular operating style and the way the two radios access the subreceivers, plus the receiver performance, made the Orion the winner here. The best thing I found myself doing with the Orion vs. the TS950 subreceiver was listening to the Tx frequency while working split CW Ė something that the TS950 subreceiver doesnít do well as it isnít selective enough. Itís pretty much the receiver of the TS-50. The Orion uses the same DSP functions in both receivers so I could listen to Ďmyí freq in the midst of others and move around to avoid being stepped on.
- The subreceiver is the Orionís only front-panel access to shortwave broadcasting, HF utility and WWV freqs, all of which I listen to. (Note that Tentec now offers the RX366 high performance subeceiver option for the Orion, which virtually identical with the main receiver. Losing general coverage, however, made this option unattractive to me.)
Orion wins by half a length.

SSB Transmit.
- I ran some on-the-air tests with some friends and tweaked around with the Orion mic gain, speech processing and Tx equalizer a little. In comparison with the TS950, these friends, who have known me for many years, all said that with enough fine tweaking my voice sounded exactly like me even with considerable processor added in.
- Both radios have superb transmit audio, itís just that the Orion, with the Tx Equalizer, could be made to adjust to my voice better.
- If youíre into ESSB, the Orion can do a lot more for you without any modification than the TS950 can.
No clear winner, in my opinion (Iím not a phone guy, really).

CW transmit.
- The TS950 is known for its truncation of CW symbols, bad enough with an external keyer and worse with the internal one. Iíve found itsí QSK CW to be kind of Ďchoppyí. The Orion QSK CW is close to perfect, near as I have been able to tell, and there isnít noticeable truncation of the CW symbols. I adjusted the external Winkeyer to compensate for the crummy TS950 CW pretty well, but the Orion leaves the TS950 in the dust, as far as QSK CW goes.
- One thing I DO like about the TS950 CW is that itsí true monitor function lets you hear pretty much what is being sent out, whereas the Orionís Ďmonitorí doesnít work for CW; you only have the sidetone.
Orion wins by a landslide.

Internal antenna tuner.
- The TS950 tuner is slower than the Orionís, but they work quite differently. The Orion tuner is supposed to work over a wider range of impedances than the Kenwood, but in practice I havenít seen that Ė the Orionís tuner is picky and sometimes wouldnít tune where the Kenwood would at least try, occasionally succeeding. In practice, there were one or two situations where the Kenwood tuner would actually tune to the antenna and the Orion wouldnít; in most Ďno tuneí situations the TS950 tuner would just keep grinding away and not find a good tune where the Orion tuner just said Ďnoí to start with.
- The TS950 tuner has memories, the Orionís doesnít.
- The Orionís tuner makes more noise than the TS950ís does, but for a shorter time.
TS950 wins by a nose.

TX Metering.
- I really wanted to see the ALC, or a good fast SWR reading, or a peak hold power out reading from the Orion and it isnít there. Iíd love to see a multilayer fuel gauge on it.
A win for the TS950.

10M FM thru repeaters.
- Not that I use them, but I have some friends that like to use them and I want to join them if they ask: The Orion doesnít have CTCSS for repeater access, the Kenwood does. If a transmit tone is selected, the A&B VFOs of the TS950 can be Ďlockedí together, allowing one to step through the repeater channels, keeping the correct offset. Orion doesnít do that very simply. No difference in receive or transmit performance.
TS950 wins.

But I really do wish that the Orion had:
- Better TX metering,
- General coverage main receiver as standard (the LO design would allow this; only the lack of a bunch more preselector bandpass filters is the problem. The Orion wonít let you go past the ham bands on its front panel but can be computer-controlled to do so Ė but the receiver performance is subpar.
- Internal power supply to run from 120VAC , which could be disengaged for 13.8VDC supply (like the old FT-736 or the FT847 had).
- Higher stability TCXO, or better, allow locking to an external reference.
- CW Monitor
- A decent pan display. Having used an external panadaptor with the TS-950 (the LP-PAN and NaP3) I am admittedly spoiled and I think the Orionís Ďsweepí (band display) isnít worth activating. I donít care whether TenTec can or will implement anything better, because Iím not going to wait. Iím going to modify the Orion for an LP-PAN. I feel naked without that display.

I'm keeping the Orion, and though I'll miss it, I can't practically keep two HF rigs, so the TS950 is going to have a '4 Sale' sign on it.

KE7GSK Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2012 03:07 Send this review to a friend
My Best Transceiver to Date  Time owned: more than 12 months
I admit, the Orion II has a learning curve and if you are coming from the simple plug and play rigs it might seem a little daunting at first. Yes, it will take a little time and experimentation to master all of its features. So, if you like things simple, and are satisfied with restrictive parameters, than there are many rigs out there that will fit your needs.

If you want to experiment/think outside of the box, then the Orion II is the perfect rig for you. Iím constantly adjusting the transmit and receive parameters via the menu (in plain English) or front panel because I can, not because I have to. Those new to the Orion should sign up to the Ten-Tec reflector, the Orion Yahoo group and watch the videos at the Ten-Tec site, all three will talk to the many features and provide a myriad of performance suggestions.

Iím not big on report numbers as I tend to go for what feels right for me, but please do read the September 2006 ARRL review. I saw nothing wrong with it at all and while you read it just remember that six (6) years have passed and many firmware upgrades later this rig just got better. While youíre at it pull up the Sherwood Receiver Test Data report, as well. Six years later the Orion II is still near the top.

By the way, Ten-Tec can still provide parts for most of the rigs they have built within the last 41 years. How many foreign corporations can say that?

Finally, a little comparison to the rigs Iíve owned. I can only compare the Orion II to the transceivers Iíve owned so far, but with the latest firmware upgrade (Vers 3.029), it has bested my Icom IC-7700 and Yaesu FT-1000D and easily out performed my Yaesu FT-2000D. Are there features I miss about the aforementioned rigs? Sure, each radio had particular features I enjoyed but at the end of the day, the Orion IIís performance won out.

K8AG Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2012 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Best rig I have ever used.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Latest software is a significant improvement over what was an excellent rig. It must be adjusted properly to get a quiet background. Cranking RF Gain to 100% doesn't work for the better radios. Ringing is almost completely gone even at very narrow bandwidths. Lots of band stacking. Perhaps not perfect yet. But its getting awfully close.

N7UX Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I came to the Orion II from a Ten Tec Omni VI+ and a Yaesu FT1000MP so I am accustomed to using a good quality transceiver. I was afraid I would seriously miss the FT1000MP but I have not looked back once since the purchase. I did buy my Orion used but it came with all the filters as well as the new sub receiver installed. I am totally impressed with both receivers in this rig. The only thing my Orion did not come with was the built in tuner. The SAF filter alone is worth the price of admission. Admittedly, I do like Ten Tec rigs (I also have an Argonaut V in the shack) I have also owned several Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom rigs but for me nothing beats the Orion II on receive.

73 all de N7UX

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2012 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Orion II ***** Five Stars  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having owned several Ten Tec radios in the past, I was familiar with Argonaut 509, Triton 544, Argonaut V, and the RX340 HF receiver. I still own the Argonaut V and up until recently, the RX340. What prompted me to purchase the Orion II was a generous trade-in offer from Ten Tec on my RX340...

It's good to know Ten Tec is willing to offer a reasonable trade-in allowance, even for a Ten Tec radio purchased in 2004!

The Orion II arrived 5 days UPS ground after Ten Tec's technicians inspected & accepted my trade-in. It was well packaged; upon close inspection, I was completely satisfied it had survived, at least cosmetically, the shipment. The acid test would be applying power...

After a quick solder job, I connected the supplied power cable to my Astron 30 amp PS and pushed the Orion II's power rocker switch. The front panel lit up like a Christmas tree, beautifully decorated with bright LED indicators here and there. The analog S meter's amber glow gave it that 'real radio' look and feel. Of course the LCD panel was a sight to behold - pictures of the Orion II do not do justice to this beauty! I settled on LCD color option 3, sort of a hunter green and mocha mix. It really looks sharp.

My particular Orion II seems to have gotten a 'knob' upgrade compared to pictures in magazines, literature, and on the web. The six small knobs are all black satin with a rubber texture. No chrome around the knobs. The VFO A and B knobs are also black satin, with rubber outer rings. Again, very sharp looking, not cheap in appearance in any way.

The Orion II arrived with the latest firmware upgrade, V3.028. I know very little about the firmware but the enclosed addendum sheet outlined changes and improvements made. One addition is SAF, Selective Audio Filtering. I tried this feature tonight on cw; it peaks the intended signal while attenuating audio outside the SAF region. It works like magic, pulling a weak signal up for easier copy. Apparently, the SAF works on SSB signals too...

Received signals, especially on SSB, are stunning. NR noise reduction, at setting 3, exhibits no discoloration of audio...& the signal just pops out of speaker! The stronger the signal the better it sounds with the NR button engaged...

There are many menu features, each one explained in great detail in the manual, which I have not yet explored. Suffice to say, it appears to be a radio ready to serve even the most seasoned operator! I would say elite contesters and dx'ers would be pleased looking at the menu's even though much of it is out of my league...

The Orion II gets five stars from this op...

73 John K7FD