Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain AV-640 Eight-Band Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain AV-640 Eight-Band Vertical
Hy-Gain AV-640 Eight-Band Vertical Reviews: 64 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $449.99
Description: Hy-Gain 8-band Vertical 40/30/20/17/15/12/10/6M
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=AV-640

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AV-640 Eight-Band Vertical.

N6KP Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2017 16:36 Send this review to a friend
poor instructions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know this antenna has been on the market for years but has the typical MFJ/hygain problems.
Poor parts count-missing brackets SS washers and some SS screws.
Set it up for SSB and even after following the directions as to length to cut parts, initial testing with MFJ analyzer came up way low in freq. Tried calling hygain many many times and could not get anyone to answer. Finally put a Palstar tuner on it to bring up in frequency. Price is way out of line considering R&D done years ago.

KC5LL Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Antenna for the Cash  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read a review on here that seemed pretty positive so I went to my local HRO to see if they had one in stock. They did and I think I was out the door for around $400 or so. Over the next week or so I assembled this thing and there was only one question about some measurements and the factory support came back a day or so after my email to them- After I got the antenna assembled I did a series of tests where I mounted it on top of a 10' pole and ran an antenna analyzer on all of the bands separately. After 3 series of tests I got all bands (targeting voice portions of the band) tuned to 1.7:1 or below. On 20m I think both ends were near or at 2.0:1 but everything else was very acceptable to me. I hooked this thing to a Yaesu FT-897D and it sounded like a live feed into a town hall meeting. Voices came pouring out from everywhere. I have worked 3 contests (very very new at that too) and have have remarkable results from here in North Texas. This antenna sits atop a 36' tip up base so 40m is at or near 60' high. I was going to use this as a transition to a hex beam but with this performance I am not as motivated to make that plunge. Pay real close attention to all of the screws being tight and read that assembly manual over and over until you understand where it is leading you. If you do that you will end up with a product you will feel great about owning. thanks Hy-Gain!

OE3JTB Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Now ok  Time owned: more than 12 months
MFJ sends me now direct from USA the needed spare part,
Now I am very satisfied!!

W7OTQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2015 05:16 Send this review to a friend
none better!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had the av-640 up for a few days but I am VERY impressed! It is mounted on a tripod on my roof at about 32 ft. The received signals were much stronger than I had hoped and the antenna tunes with 1.3:1 across 9 (Yes, it works on 80 too!) bands. It is a very quiet antenna as well. I live within about 150 ft from city power lines and I have no noise problem. Rig is Kenwood TS-450s and the blanker seems to help a lot. I give this antenna 10 stars! I have worked s.africa,new zealand,japan and all over europe with 15-20 watts! WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2014 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Still excellent performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Three years ago I wrote a review on the AV-640. My experience with it over that time has been very positive. It was tuned to near the middle of each band and the measured SWR curves have remained unchanged. Fortunately, it has survived several powerful storms with gale force winds of over 70 MPH, but I should mention that I do have it guyed with nylon ropes as suggested in the manual. My AV-640 is mounted about 15 feet off the ground on a telescoping mast achored to the side of our porch. As a DX antenna, its performance has been excellent. It has helped me go from 318 DXCC confirmed when I put it up to 329 now. More importantly, it has been a a key component of my being able to add 30, 17 and 12 meter endorsements to 5BDXCC and completing WAZ. I feel that as an end-fed 3/8 wave vertical with only 40, 20 and 30 meters having loading coils is a clever and effective design. An antenna tuner is needed only on some parts of 40 and the upper section of 10 meters. I have had no issues with the matching system while using up to 1KW on CW and phone. but I do carefully keep RTTY to no more than 500 watts per the antenna's specs. Four other members of my local ham club now have them and they have been very pleased with theirs as well.

VA3LUK Rating: 4/5 Dec 9, 2012 18:49 Send this review to a friend
not bad  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in Burlington ON,so on October 2012 I had some wind from hurricane Sandy not so strong like NYC and antenna still working I give only 4 because I have problem with SWR on 17 m when is rain, otherwise I have no problems with it.

K5DSQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2012 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to my Feb. 23, 2012 review. The antenna despite my original doubts about mechanical integrity has held up very well. The week after my first review we had several thunderstorms with wind gusts in excess of 55 MPH. The only thing that bent was my support mast. I used 10 feet of 1 electrical conduit pipe instead of heavy walled pipe as suggested. With that replaced the antenna is working well. Results on all bands are as previously reported. It is nice to be able to switch from 40 all the way to 6 meters without tinkering with the outboard antenna tuner. This is a very good limited space antenna.

WD8AAM Rating: 3/5 Feb 8, 2012 17:46 Send this review to a friend
I asked my ham friends about the AV-640  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Considering limitations, and what Hygain says are the specs, this review made me purchase an R-8 Cushcraft. I thought this was a review that others should know about, as this was real life usage, down south USA.

One ham friends experience: He had the AV-640 vertical installed for about two years. Had to replace base loading inductor twice, it overheats and melts. I was only running about 350W and the antenna is rated at full legal limit. Also they advertise their hardware as stainless steel, most of the bolts rusted out at around one year in the weather. I rate this as barely 'OK', if you take precautions during use. The inductor is expensive.

N7TVV Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2012 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Continues to be a great vertical!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since my first report in September, 2008, the antenna has performed very well. In spite of heavy snow and ice loads (which have slightly deformed the 40m cap hat, maybe 2-3 degrees), and several wind storms with wind velocities exceeding 50 MPH, the antenn remains intact. This is despite NO guying of the antenna mast itself. No problems with the mounting structures reported elsewhere, or with the matching network. Expect some VSWR changes with weather on most bands (especially with snow/ice loads).
I have had great contacts on all bands, except 6m, where I'm not active.
I continue to rate this antenna tops in it's class. It delivers the best bang-for-the-buck, in my opinion. Still a 5, in my book!

N6YJA Rating: 2/5 Nov 4, 2011 06:29 Send this review to a friend
base broke after 1yr.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow up to my review in 2001.

I agree strongly with KC5TJG and others who also saw the the base as being too week. Very poor design as the brackets are too close together to provide enough torque.

Spring 2002, just after I complained to Hy-Gain, brought another windy season of days on and off gusts up to 56mph (no where near the 80mph claim) where the base brackets snapped! I already did what I could to keep it tight but snap it did. It hung at a 40 degree angle for months before I could bring it down from atop my tower. I solved the problem by removing the aluminum base with its 6" bolt spacing and shoved a steel pipe up its bottom. It's been up that way since. Other than this fault the Hy-Gain AV640 is a terrific antenna.

Oh, as a point of reference in the 1970's I worked summers as an assistant to the plant engineer at Alflex Crop. in Torrance, CA while a student at USC in Los Angeles. I know how to tighten bolts....LOL.