Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain AV640 Eight Band Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain AV640 Eight Band Vertical
Hy-Gain AV640 Eight Band Vertical Reviews: 64 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $359.99
Description: Hy-Gain 40-6M 8-band Vertical
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=AV-640

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain AV640 Eight Band Vertical.

PY2ONU Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2011 06:32 Send this review to a friend
VERY GOOD ANTENNA!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a very good antenna, many many DX all over the world in all bands. Works great specially in 10, 15, 20 and 30 meters. GOOD SWR in all bands, adjust is simple but arduous
due to the size of the antenna. I think it's one of the world's best vertical antennas together with the Cushcraft R-8 and GAP TITAN DX.
I bought the hy-gain due to being cheaper than the Cushcraft R-8 and have 6 meters that gap has not (i prefer to 6 meters of the 80 meters). I have done several dx on 6 meters with this antenna in America, Europe, Africa and Asia.
I think the three antennas mentioned in text above are good is a matter of personal preference.

73!

AA7OK Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2011 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Digital Modes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a very pleased with the AV-640. I purchased the AV-640 and built it in early March of 2011. It has been in use for more than a month as of this writing. I had no problems with missing parts or miss-placed drill holes or any other manufacturing or packaging problems. I took my time and was careful with measurements so it took me about 3 days to build, mount and put on the air. Before I built the antenna I used EZNEC to determine an appropriate height to mount it at. Because the antenna is a 3/8th radiator on the bands it covers, I modeled it so. My favorite band is 15m and I like the WARC bands in general for my digital mode interests. I determined that 11 to 13 feet would provide for the best radiation angles for me. I used a 4x4 and some steel pipe to get it off the ground and all went smoothly. The radials center ring is 11.5 feet above earth. At first it tuned up just 'OK' with the swr too high for my liking on my favorite band segments, so I thought I would have to take it down and do some adjustments. However, once I 'earth grounded' the tuning unit properly, the swr on all the band segments I like to use improved markedly. 40m runs a bit high at 1.7 to 1.8 but the rest of the bands are just great. I use my grounded loop for 40m anyway, but 40m on the AV-640 is serviceable. The antenna plays well. I've worked plenty of DX. I'm having fun. I'll write back here in a year or so and let you all know how it is holding up.

K3EGW Rating: 3/5 Apr 13, 2011 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Update on previous review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just when I thought the information I got from Hy-Gain support was going to fix the 40 meter issue (see my last review), it turns out that it wasn't a cold solder joint after all. It was a missing, yes missing, upper metal strap! No wonder it wasn't working on 40, there was no connection to the 40 meter resonator.

I've lowered my rating from 4 to 3. Although the antenna works well, the lack of quality control at MFJ/Hy-Gain is appalling. That and a couple of missing nuts and bolts, mismatched threads on the 6 meter stub, and lots of typos in the assembly manual are things that would make me think twice before I purchase another MFJ product.

On the positive side, the antenna works well, Tom at support answered my emails quickly, and they're promptly sending me the missing parts... I'll report back if I don't get them in a few days.

W2RS Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2011 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Came down in wind  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update to my earlier (2005) review.

After 5 1/2 years of operation without guys, metal fatigue did the antenna in and it came down. The fault was right above the fiberglass insulator.

We don't have ice here in southern Arizona, but we do have strong winds with gusts up to 70-80 MPH. The AV640 met its wind survival spec of 80 MPH many times, but nothing lasts forever.

I'm replacing it with an AV620 and will use my 130-foot inverted-L on 30 and 40.

AC6IJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2011 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Hi Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got thru installing the AV-640 antenna today and I'm very impressed with everything about it.
I thought the instructions were very good and easy to follow. This antenna weighs in at 22 lbs. and not 10 lbs. as advertised. Just be sure to mount it on at least a 1 11/16" outside dia. galvanized pole as I did and you should be ok.
I also used 5/16" dacron rope for guys. It is mounted on a 15' pole that is fastened to my patio.
I also used all the spokes and elements at the CW lengths as recommended and with my auto tuner every band is perfect.
All the parts were there and the manual has been updated with a lot of improvements.
I'm sure anyone interested in this antenna will be quite pleased with it.
By the way, I used liquid masking tape on the critical electrical connections and sealed the black box with silicon sealer to help keepout moisture and I also glued small patches of screen over the two drain holes on the bottom of the box to keep out bugs. Bill

NJ2H Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2011 17:56 Send this review to a friend
After two years, fully satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a very small irregular lot and anything other than a vertical is impossible. After trying other verticals, mostly ground mounted, I decided to try the AV640 on the roof, which puts its base at about 25 feet AGL. I use at FT-950 which I also like very much and as of a few months ago the MFJ 600 W solid state amp. By the way, ARRL techies figured out that the AV640 with 500 watts is roughly equivalent to a 3 element beam at 100 watts. If I wasn't so lazy I would do the math myself, but I'll take their word for it. At 100 watts I get out pretty well, easily into Europe from the east coast. The MFJ at 500 watts is a huge improvement, and I got into Western Australia on 20M a few weeks ago for the first time with a 5/7 signal. So this is one vertical, that on the roof at least, performs pretty nicely. Yep, the manual stinks, and I wish the bandwidth of 40m was wider, especially since I don't have a tuner, but overall, a nice product, as is the FT 950 and the MFJ.

W3PV Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As the other reviewers stated, this antenna is a bear to construct, from the weak directions in the manual to the mountain of parts used in the construction. Once it's in the air, it becomes a highly effective antenna... for a vertical... I took one with me on each overseas assignment and each time there was a waiting line of locals that wanted to take it off my hands. As you can tell, I am pleased with the ability to break into pileups, get great signal reports, and still fit into the small backyard space without causing undue annoyance to my neighbors.

The only problem that I have had was with my current antenna which was the lack of communications from the manufacturer. From my order through to my cancellation of the order, not a word, or even an answer to my repeated phone calls was forthcoming from the manufacturer. Finally on the day before I was to depart the US on another overseas assignment an AV-640 package showed on my doorstep. One day later it would have spent four months sitting on my lawn.

If you can deal with the manufacturer, the AV-640 will serve you well.

KC6ZWH Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2010 13:27 Send this review to a friend
GOOD AND EASY  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
All the parts were there and the assembly was very easy. Works like a multi-band verticle should.

VE3FGU Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2010 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Still working great  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna has been up for over a year and still working great. I had to take it off the TV tower as the RF was getting into the house via the power lines only 10 feet from the antenna. So for the past 5 months it has been on a 10 foot pole at the end of the yard and still outperforms the 80 M delta loop on 40 and 30. While it was on the tower, with no guy ropes on the antenna, it did survive a very strong wind that snapped off some small trees and bushes a few feet away from the tower. I will be taking it down in a few days to inspect everything before putting it back up on a 30 foot telescoping mast with 2 sets of guys on the mast and Dacron rope guys on the antenna. This antenna can really put a lot of stress on a mast and it actually bent the 1 1/2 inch pipe on the tower when I had the antenna there.
The SWR does change when it gets wet but overall I am pleased with the performance. Breaking into DX pileups is not difficult with this antenna.

N9CLQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2010 03:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed the AV-640 in September 2010 and am very pleased. My lot is small and I can just fit a Barker & Williamson broadband folded Dipole. While it has served me well I understand it is a comprimise. The AV-640 went together well. No missing parts, everything is high quality. Mounted 10 foot above ground on 1 1/2 inch pipe. I'm in Illinois and the first contact on the AV-640 was on 40 Mtrs. with a Connecticut station. Compared antennas and Vertical was 3 S-Units stronger than Folded Dipole. Next contact with a Texas station who reported the same. Antenna was easy to tune and performs better than I expected. This is a keeper.