Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony ICF-6700L Help

Reviews Summary for Sony ICF-6700L
Sony ICF-6700L Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: FM/AM Multi Band Receiver

You can write your own review of the Sony ICF-6700L.

GRAVEDODGER Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2005 09:49 Send this review to a friend
A vintage delight  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm normally just a review reader but I really felt I had to add this beauty to the review list.
I,ve been a SWL for about 15 years starting with a Sony 2001, quickly got hooked and have had a few rigs including Grundig Sat1400SL Pro, Sat700, YB400, YB500, Sang818, Yup7100, Sony SW55 and probably a few more I've forgot but after being out of the scene for the last 5 years or so I have to start again and have always loved the older models so thought I'd start there.
Now, I've always had a confidence in Sony and Grundig but had never seen nor heard of the 6700L but was intrigued when I saw one on e-bay here in the UK with only a few bidders so I had a flutter in the blind almost and was well pleased to win it for just less then 37, well worth a look I thought.
How right I was !
I found few details on the net about it and was eager to see what arrived and what a delight the 6700L is.

It arrived very clean with just the normal scratchy sounding volume, bass and treble pots which were sorted very quickly with some switch cleaner and a few turns, now good as new and clean.
The build quality is extremely good, very solid, positive switches, nothing flimsy here and the tuning knob has a lovely big heavy fly-wheel on the inside giving a very smooth balanced response.
The whip is top quality too, very long and positive, no falling over no matter what angle you set it at.

I was delighted to find that the LED tuner is spot on.
This model does not have or need a seperate BFO, the normal tuning wheel does the job brilliantly as long as you've got a light touch.

I've tried it on it's own whip and a 7 metre wire and it really can perform, very sensitive on SW and has the lowest noise floor I've had on any portable receiver.
I listen to MW alot and was quite excited to see the ferrite rod held on plastic holders well away from the rest of the internal workings to the back of the housing and it pays of big time, the MW reception comes in clear with next to no drift or fade and with the audio quality and great speaker it sounds almost like FM, no kidding !

I believe this model is from around 1978 and I highly recommend this receiver.

I'd like to mod it very slightly by placing 2 or 3 LED's in for lighting, the bulbs no longer work but that's not suprising for the age.

Thanks for reading